17 Remington Nosler Components

Powerstroke

Handloader
Feb 24, 2006
I'm so out of touch !
I see Nosler has introduced brass for the .17 Rem as well as a 20gr Varmageddon bullet :grin:

What's the skinny on these bullets?

I have a Rem 700 BDL ( good old style ) .17 in the safe that never gets shot. Great little gun, but past experience using it on coyotes has been dismal. Personally I believe it's just so darn fast and small it pencils through and the tracking job is on.

I need more brass like I need a hole in the head. Years ago when Remington talked about discontinuing this round, my Dad bought plenty of brass. 24 boxes or unprimed Remington to be exact. Something is tickling my interest now with the nosler combo - can I get quick massive expansion with these bullets?

I have an older straight 8X Leupy with target dot or new MK-II 6x18 with Mil Dots looking for a home..... :lol:View attachment P1010084.JPGView attachment P1010087.JPG

Can not help you on the coyote thing for I never ever shot one-----believe that crap?

Anyway I can tell you that when used on P-dogs you get plenty of chunkage and flipage! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mark, very cool rifle. It would be cool to see if the V- bullets work better as well. You might have to video some water jugs getting sent into orbit when you get it loaded up. I like that 8X scope, just for traditions sake. Very cool scope as well.. Scotty

Mark,

I can't speak to the 17 Rem but it is a cool round for sure. I would think it would be great for the pelt hunter and you wouldn't have to worry much about exits. I had 3 runners with the 50 gr BT from a 22-250 so I switched to the 55 gr BT for more weight. I do not save pelts and to be honest, most exits from the 22-250 with the 50 gr or 55 gr BT's were no bigger than a nickel.

JD338

Fotis - you're really going to have to work on that ! I'm thinking of brining the kiddo accross the boarder next weekend for some coyote action.

Thanks Gents - will play with the milk jug method first. Would expect complete distruction of the first jug and "maybe" into the second from 100yds. Will start another section in the bullet performance section if I can pull it off by next weekend.

I definaly like the 8X for visual appearance - it's a glossy and the 700 is an early 70's vintage so they look good together. The 6x18 is actually a mark AR - flat

Back in the day hornaday was about the only option for bullets, but now :grin: I need to start playing with this one again.

Back