17 Super Rimfire

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
From facebook.

Savage just released a new rifle and cartridge combo. This 4.5 pound rifle is chambered in the hot new .17 SuperMag - a 3000 fps rimfire screamer. We'll have more details shortly.

65866_10151328829748419_1671458585_n.jpg

Looks like a model 25 in an axis synthetic stock. I'm sure you'll shoot, but damn its ugly!

I have the same one in 17 hornet. Scary accurate.

Since Winchester produced this round .... I wonder if they'll come out with a rifle for it?

Scott

Savage is not built for looks it is built for work.

I wonder what the ammo will cost? I've been thinking hard about a 17 Hornet but this may be better.

Greg Nolan":1oo546i5 said:
I wonder what the ammo will cost? I've been thinking hard about a 17 Hornet but this may be better.

At least the 17 Hornet can be reloaded - that's why I'm leaning towards it. My guess is that the new Rimfire round will be in the $20 per 50 range.

Scott

Ridge_Runner":1zsq1psi said:
soon as somebody makes one with the crank on the right left side I'm buyin one.
RR

I take it they are on the left right side. :?

I read they are supposed to be around 15 dollars for fifty, but we will have to see once they are available.

I played with this very rifle at SHOT on Tuesday. If you ask me it's a POS.
Horribly cheap stock, action was far from smooth. Plastic trigger guard and magazine.

The usual Savage 93 is far nicer. I'm hoping they chamber the 93 for the new cartridge as I won't buy this rifle.

Patrick

What is the chance of rechambering a Ruger 17HMR bolt rifle to the new 17 WSM? Or..... just swapping out the barrel.

Charlie-NY":1gdezszs said:
What is the chance of rechambering a Ruger 17HMR bolt rifle to the new 17 WSM? Or..... just swapping out the barrel.

Charlie,
I don't think that would work because the new cartridge is larger than the HMR - you'd lose the magazine and I'm not sure that Ruger's 17/22 action is large enough or strong enough for this cartridge. Maybe the hornet sized action would work but it's a centerfire.

Scott

Chances are that someone other that Savage will make a rifle for it or once Savage has sold a few they will have a latest, greatest version that may be upscale. IMO

Hmmm .... good points. With a larger case the pressure "may" remain within acceptable limits for the 77/17 but we would have to see. However, the magazine length issue would likely kill the whole idea. Bummer

I guess I'll have to stick with the 17HMR which shot a 1" 5-shot group at 200yds ONCE; but shoots great overall. It's nice to have at least one rifle that does not require reloading. :lol:

muleman":iifpxgsu said:
Charlie-NY":iifpxgsu said:

Charlie,
I don't think that would work because the new cartridge is larger than the HMR - you'd lose the magazine and I'm not sure that Ruger's 17/22 action is large enough or strong enough for this cartridge. Maybe the hornet sized action would work but it's a centerfire.

Scott

Back