18 preferance points and success

Congratulations! Great story and and a fine looking bull. I won't pass him up.

They can be pretty clever, he is obviously old, and five miles in real rough country from where some one got trail cam pictures during bow season. I saw him the three previous seasons when all I had was a spike tag, once at 20 feet. A guide showed me the trail cam photos, I'll see if I can get a copy to attach.
I am remiss, in addition to my bull tag we had four spike tags in camp and filled two of those as well.

Congrats on the bull! That country is unforgiving and the hunt you described is what keeps me driving almost 3000 miles every Fall to hunt spikes. I'd float to Oregon should I ever have a bull tag.. Way to go on your bull..

Oregon has had that effect on people since the fur trappers came over the Rockies. Personally I'm glad Eastmans gave Oregon a poor rating, makes it easier for you and me to draw.

salmonchaser":a0fhnpq0 said:
Oregon has had that effect on people since the fur trappers came over the Rockies. Personally I'm glad Eastmans gave Oregon a poor rating, makes it easier for you and me to draw.

Yup, I smile everytime I read about the poor hunting in Oregon.. For a guy that wants to just plain hunt elk, it's hard to beat..

Don
That is a very nice bull, nothing wrong with that one at all. Your hunt description sounds like a typical hunt in NE, Oregon. A foot of snow would have rounded out the week. A great write up.

Scotty and Bill, I'm with you guys, I just want to hunt elk. Since moving to Washington from Oregon I've only missed drawing a tag once. Part of that good fortune is there are not many people who will go into the canyon for spikes, suits us just fine.
Hunting up there now, in some ways, must be like it was before Oregon's big population boom. We know many of the dedicated Walla Walla hunters, we keep track of each other. During my hunt it was routine for one group or another to call on the radio, letting me know where they had seen big bulls. This included groups that had a bull tag in their camp. One of the guys camped up at squaw springs kept bumping into me about mid day. He has hunted in there for 50 years. Every day he would wait on his morning stand until he saw me in the canyon, then he would move so he didn't bump a bull I might be moving on. At least three different days I found him or He found me while having lunch. We would plan our hunts back to the road to avoid hunting behind one another. I'd let him know where I had seen spikes, he would tell me about throwing rocks at big bulls. By and large he represents most of the folks who hunt up there regularly.
I think this may have been our last year in there. My BIL is a retired Army ranger with a broken back. He can get around on easier ground, but can't handle the canyon anymore, he still comes up and hunts where he can. We think he would enjoy hunting Chesnimus much more and there is much more country he can cover.
If you guys ever think about moving over into the Walla Walla let me know. I'll plot where we've killed our elk over the last twenty years, there is a clear pattern that will save you a bunch of scouting.
Don

Sounds good Don. Appreciate the information. NE Oregon is a whole lot of fun, if your fun includes sweating a whole lot..

I will also vouch for the "most will not dive off the side of a mountain for a spike"... All you have to do is point and I have almost assumed the position to swan dive in there! Bill says it best though, we spend many more days searching for elk than we do packing them. I figure while I am mobile I'll take what I am given.

Congrats Don! Diving off the the ridges for a spike? Sounds strangely familiar :lol: Will try and catch up with you next time.

I read you also tagged one, excellent work. I remember how concerned and frustrated we were when Oregon went to limited tags and spike only hunts. It didn't take very long for the quality of the hunting to improve. The herds grew for a while, hunter numbers in units like Mt. Emily, Wenaha, and Walla Walla were greatly reduced and you didn't have to send someone up a week early to secure a camp site. Before Oregon limited tags I could run a 10 k in 32 minutes. I used those lungs and legs trying to leap frog every hunter in the woods, now I'm inclined to contact a hunter I run into, and that's rare, and make a plan that's more or less beneficial to both of us. I may hunt other states from time to time, but I'll hunt Oregon until I'm to old and sick to walk a hundred yards. I'm 59 now, figure I'll stop about 90.
We'll stay in touch perhaps we can meet next fall.

salmonchaser":113v78xy said:
I read you also tagged one, excellent work. I remember how concerned and frustrated we were when Oregon went to limited tags and spike only hunts. It didn't take very long for the quality of the hunting to improve. The herds grew for a while, hunter numbers in units like Mt. Emily, Wenaha, and Walla Walla were greatly reduced and you didn't have to send someone up a week early to secure a camp site. Before Oregon limited tags I could run a 10 k in 32 minutes. I used those lungs and legs trying to leap frog every hunter in the woods, now I'm inclined to contact a hunter I run into, and that's rare, and make a plan that's more or less beneficial to both of us. I may hunt other states from time to time, but I'll hunt Oregon until I'm to old and sick to walk a hundred yards. I'm 59 now, figure I'll stop about 90.
We'll stay in touch perhaps we can meet next fall.

Yes sir! It was all I could do to hold myself back and not run down the ridge after spotting that herd. Oregon must be doing something right. Think we saw good Bulls just about everyday. It was funny that days we ran into other hunters, we still got into more than a few elk. The day I killed my spike, others had already pushed out onto that ridge and the one across from it. Never thought I would walk out and see that herd standing in the open.

Dang elk, so often they will do what you least expect. I'm very pleased you punched your tag, any elk is a trophy. Keep building those preference points, you'll get the any bull tag eventually.

The trophy is what's in the freezer! Dang elk fajitas last week were just awesome. Just finished off some hindquarter stroganoff that was good also. I was very please to punch a tag third go at and get that monkey off my back. That sucker was getting heavy :lol: Bill, Scotty and myself have talked about putting in for branch antlered points several times. 16-18 years is a long time...

Back