180 gr. Partition HG in .358 Winc.

rufus206

Beginner
Nov 30, 2005
I recently purchased a Browning BLR in .358 Winc. I plan to handload and use this for Eastern U.S. whitetails at short to medium ranges (up to to 150 yards). Would the 180 gr. Partition HG bullet be a good choice? If so, should I limit the velocity to a certain level? Any recommended loads to try? Alternative bullets to try? Thanks in advance for any advice.

The 180grain PHG is a great choice.

I will post some data on the published loads.

Rufus

I have the same rifle in .358win and thought about using the 180gr PG bullet. Then i realized something, one of the BLR's best feature is the detachable box magazine that allows the use of spitzer bullets. Why go backwards? i know that spitzer bullets wont really add a big difference in trajectory but it cant hurt.

If you want a killer 180gr .358" bullet try the Barnes X or the new 200gr TSX. I would like to see Nosler come out with a .358" 200gr AccuBond, the 200gr we8ight so maybe it could fit in a .358win. I would also like to see a 200gr Partition in 35 caliber but i doubt highly if either would happen. :cry:

I use 200 gr pointed Corelokts in my .358, over a near max load of IMR-4895 - the load is just about as much powder as you can fit in the case. I go to just above the base of the neck - I'd have to look up the charge weigth at home. They shoot great.

I agree with centurian, don't go backwards. If your rifle has a detatchable mag, go with heavier bullets. I use 225 BT's and partitions in my 358 encore pistol and have taken pigs over 200lbs. They don't go anywhere but down and I've only recovered one bullet out of six hogs after a BT entered behind the ribs on the right side,went through everything and stopped in the opposite shoulder after breaking it.

WIth the 358 Win, go with the 225 gr BT or PY. Nosler is comming out with a 225 gr AB later this year, woould be perfect fro just about anything you would hunt with your 358 Win.

I have used the 225 gr PT in my 35 Whelen for WT Deer and 1 Black Bear.
Quarter size exit wound and only a couple of short & heavy blood trails.

JD338

Back