180 Or 200 Grain In 30-06 Question

Leo M

Beginner
Feb 5, 2005
I would like anybodys opinion encluding Nosler's if possible. I am in the midst of working up a 180 grain Partition load for a 30-06. This is to be a moose load only. Well this weekend I got to reading an articale by John Barsness about how much he uses the 200 grain Partition in the 06 as an elk load. I have been wondering if this would be the better plan? I am no expert. What are the pros and cons with bigger bullet less speed/smaller bullet more speed. Thanks for any help.

Either bullet (30-200gr AccuBond or Partition) would work but I would say go with the 200gr Partition in your 30-06. You'll get better penetration and energy with a 200gr bullet. A 180gr Partition would work too, but heck how can you argue with a John Barsness? I hope that helps.

Pick one, lots of guys have never hunted moose and they think they are bullet proof. I know lots that have been killed with 3030, 12 gauge slugs, 243, 270 with 130's. None of those moose fell to premium bullets at all. I love partitions and whichever one shoots the best in your gun is the one I would pick.

whichever one shoots the best in your gun is the one I would pick.

Ditto. Either one will work, just figure out which one shoots the best and go with it! I liked Reloder 22 in my 30-06 with heavy bullets, gave very good velocity and accuracy. YMMV.

Leo M":2sslv7t7 said:
I would like anybodys opinion encluding Nosler's if possible. I am in the midst of working up a 180 grain Partition load for a 30-06. What are the pros and cons with bigger bullet less speed/smaller bullet more speed. Thanks for any help.

I've used the Nosler Partition in both 180 and 200 grain in my 30-06 for elk, and the 180 Partition for 2 Alaskan bull moose.

I've never recovered any of the 200 grain bullets for inspection and comparison. I've recovered a couple of the 180's.

The "kill power", in the field on these animals, as observed by me, seems to be about equal with either bullet. Range varied from "real close" up to maybe 250 yards.

I will say this.........while all the 200 grain bullets did exit, as did MOST of the 180's, and all the animals did die.........it seemed to me that the wound channel and trauma was a bit greater with the 180 Partition. That leads me to assume that the expansion with the 180 was somewhat greater.

I was satisfied with the 200 grain Partition, but I guess I am _MORE_ satisfied with the 180 Partition. I've not used the 200 grain load for several years. Probably won't in the future, either. I am gonna test the 180 grain Accubonds this summer, for grouping ability.

Accuracy wise, both the 180 and 200 grain Partitions seemed to shoot about equally for me, in my rifle. The difference in recoil was somewhat noticeable. The 200 grain load would really whack me!

Lee Carkenord Denver CO

180 Partitions or Accubonds with 61 gr of RL22. This is a max load nearing 2800 fps. Start low and work up. I use this load for EVERYTHING!

See how easy that was? :)

For what little this is worth, I've taken 3 Bull Moose over the years, and the cartridges were: .308 Win, .30-06, and .375 H&H. The fastest "kill" was the '06, and the H&H was the slowest. The bullets were 180 Partition, 200 Partition and 285 Grand Slam... don't like that last one. What I found ws the 200 was a tremendous killer in the '06 even my African Kudu was a victim of this load. I also have found the R22 to be excellent propellent for this weight. Work it up and enjoy it.

Back