180gr Ballistic Tip from 30-06

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
This was fired from my Ruger 30-06 at 20 yards. The core did separate but I still think that the bullet did as designed.

Five jugs? Oh, yes, that will take down game. I've never been overly worried at the core separation of cup-and-core bullets.

That's pretty danged good stuff WT! I believe that'll hunt really well.

AT 20 yards your putting a lot of stress on that bullet, its not intended for shooting game at 20 yards but it would work I'm sure...YOu will get better performance at longer range say 100 yards to 400 yards..If one needs more penetration and a bullet to hold together then the Partition is the way to go. It is still the best bullet out there, Never have I had a Partition fail to perform in the last 60 years, ocassionally they used to separate at some point blowing off the front part, but the back half left an exit hole and nothing moved to far and it left a good bloodtrail particulary in 30 caliber and up. A Partition opens quickly and penetrates like the dickens, so it works on light game and the toughest of game..

Howdy Ray, hadn't heard from you in quite a while. Hope all is well.

Regards, Guy

Imo water tests are WAY too hard of a medium for expansion testing. It’s fun though to catch bullets. I use to water expansion test different alloys with my own cast bullets. The best mushroom I had was with super hard 15.4 bh alloy. I casted it in a Lyman devastator. I tried it at 1850 fps shooting through totes of water. Caught it in a second tote I had back to back. It looked like perfect mushroom with excellent weight retention. I shot 3 deer with that bullet the same year and it never expanded. Acted like a FMJ. Just poked .430” diameter holes in and out. Two out of my three deer ran over a 100 yards with zero blood to follow. One even stood there like it wasn’t shot after a broad side double lung shot at 20 yards. It didn’t even know it was hit. Just stood there with blood around the entry hole and trotted off a few seconds later. If I wouldn’t have seen the entry hole I would have thought I missed from the reaction. The only other time that happened was using 180 grain Accubonds that did the exact same thing and the same reaction on a deer. Both those deer were found the next morning. Double lung shots on both. I switched to almost pure lead…40/1 alloy at 7.5 BH. Deer shot with the same devastator and softer alloy were dropping almost in their tracks or within a few feet. Anyways those soft 7.5BH hollow points flattened to a penny and only made up it into 3 jugs of water and shedded half their weight with a water rest. They exit deer and don’t expand violently like they do in water. I’ve shot deer with hand loaded 180 grain ballistic tips hand loaded in my 30-06. Every deer dropped in its tracks. There was also a huge mess inside when gutted them. It was like a bomb went off inside them.

Last edited:
Back