1st hunt with 140 Accubonds

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
Well yesterday I finally had an opportunity to see how the Accubonds work out of my Browning 7m-08 with a 22" barrel. These were loaded with Reloader 15 at 41.5 gns.. After a very nasty winter storm during the night visibility in the woods was extremely limited. Every smaller tree was bent over with the weight of the ice and snow so that it was like being on another planet from the previous day.

A forkhorn came in at approximately 40 yds. He gave me a quartering towards shot which I was quick to take. The deer numbers in this area are very low due to the ravages of wolves as well as the numerous bears that take many of each springs fawn crop.

The bullet entered thru the front shoulder blade, rib cage and then exited around the liver area. The buck dropped in his tracks, kicked twice and then it was all over . . . except for the 2 hours that it took me to get him back to my truck.

The entrance hole was about 2 inches going thru the shoulder blade and about 2.5 inches going thru the ribs. The lungs were basically disintigrated and the exit hole was about the size of a pencil. Granted the cartridge load was on the warm side and the range was certainly close, but I thought I would see a little smaller entry hole and a bigger exit hole. I was happy with the results and will continue to use the Accubonds, but I wonder what the results would have been if I had used the same bullet in a load that I worked up for my 280 if I had chosen to take it instead.

Long

meat.JPG

First of all, congratulations on a fine hunt and some good looking venison. I found the same king of bullet performance on shots from 30 to 200 yards. It would seem that Nosler was right in their description of the A/B in action. It initially sheds weight to transfer energy and then holds at about 60+ percent for penetration. I was amazed at my cow elk's condition at 30 yds. 260 gr. .375 cal. The hole was, as yours, bigger going in than comming out. But you know what? Like you observed, it destroyed the organs without damaging very much meat on the way out, which ain't bad. Great Hunt and thanks for sharing!! :)

Congrats on your harvest! My findings have been the exact same as you guys. The hole going in is bigger than the exit hole with massive organ damage and little meat damage. The more i shoot the AccuBond the more i like it. :grin:

Back