200 grn Barnes X and Hornady FP

M1Garand

Beginner
Dec 5, 2004
Shot these into water jugs a while back. The Barnes haven't been in production for some years but they shoot well and their petals are 6 instead of the usual 4:

Certainly a couple of classic bullets that would work as expected. Welcome aboard. I note that this is your first post. Glad to have such an informative first post. We look forward to seeing your interaction with the crew.

Thanks DrMike, I registered quite a few years ago and periodically browse but never posted. Figured I'd try and post more to share what I have as I've learned and enjoyed what others have.

Nice!

What were your loads and velocities?

At what distance were the jugs?

I have the 200 gr A-Frames and Hornady's to try in mine. Really hoping the A-Frame comes out on top! Also have some 250 gr Barnes Originals

M1Garand":37wbfmq9 said:
Thanks DrMike, I registered quite a few years ago and periodically browse but never posted. Figured I'd try and post more to share what I have as I've learned and enjoyed what others have.

For sure, I noted that you've been registered for quite some time. It is great to have you posting. I know that others will appreciate your results. I sure do.

Blkram":1ksrx357 said:
What were your loads and velocities?

At what distance were the jugs?

Blkram,

loads with both were 53.5 grns of IMR 4064 and chrony'd around 2450 fps. Jugs were IIRC 25 yards or so. I have quite a few of the 250 Barnes Originals and ironically, I have a load with H4831 (64.0 grns @ 2250 fps) that shoots pretty close to the same point at 100 yards as the 200 Hornady load.

I just have a Williams FP peep site, but here's my 250 Barnes at 100 yards:

And the 200 Hornady at 100:

Those both look great. The Woodleigh's are supposed to be very good in the 348 as well.

Blkram":2usdefax said:
Looks like your rifle is liking that 200 gr Hornady!
Nice!

It shoots it well, I just need a deer to volunteer to take one for the team.

gerry":q600jtt5 said:
Those both look great. The Woodleigh's are supposed to be very good in the 348 as well.

gerry,

I've heard a lot of good about the Woodleighs and have always wanted to try them. The North Forks too but I have so many of the Hornady and Barnes bullets, I've not wanted to drop that much money just to try them and see how they shoot....maybe before I got married :grin:

M1Garand":fidbtl81 said:
gerry":fidbtl81 said:

gerry,

I've heard a lot of good about the Woodleighs and have always wanted to try them. The North Forks too but I have so many of the Hornady and Barnes bullets, I've not wanted to drop that much money just to try them and see how they shoot....maybe before I got married :grin:

I hear you on that, priorities change once we have someone else in our lives. Those 200 gr Hornady bullets are all someone really needs for deer and bear anyway, don't think they will bounce off of elk or moose either ;) Those Barnes look like they would be excellent for big animals too.

Nice, love the old 358. I am using the 250 Woodleighs in mine, but there are enough great bullets out there to keep us M71 guys shooting for quite awhile, especially now that Starline is making brass.

Back