2014 Hunting Pictures

Great picture mate!

Yeah I'm looking forward to your 270 and 338 getting some porker action!

Any chance you'll ever get to hunt sambar deer? Those look like they would give the 338 some options to stretch its legs.

Yes my move south has put me within an hour or so of sambar country. I have some organising to do however hopeful of having one in the freezer this year.

The 338 with a 225 NPT should be just the ticket should I be lucky enough to see a big stag!

Heck yeah buddy! That'd be awesome. I'm going to start working with the 225 AB once the stock comes in for my 338. I think it just might be the perfect blend of speed, trajectory and energy. If the ABs don't work, PTs are are up next.

I hope your able to hunt the sambar. They roar sorta like an elk right?

EOD Diver":17xnbocx said:
Scotty,
What's this about a new stock for your Alaskan?
Joe

It got really wet in Oregon last Fall. Ordered a McMillan for it so I can pull the wood off and refinish and add some pillars. It has been spilt at the tang since I have owned it and last Fall was enough of a hunt to make me wanna address it before it becomes a problem. The McM will tide me over. Have a PCS coming up this Summer, so woodworking time is slim. Figured I could put the McM on the rifle, hunt it and take my time working the old one over.

Bob,
Congratulations on the hogs. Ya just gotta love the 45-70. Did you get complete penetration with the 300 gr Sierras?

JD338

JD338":12hjvxmv said:
Bob,
Congratulations on the hogs. Ya just gotta love the 45-70. Did you get complete penetration with the 300 gr Sierras?

JD338
For the most part yes mate. But on bigger pigs ie 80kg plus I find they stay in the pigs. These are soft bullets that kill quick but would be less than ideal on a water buff or scrub bull. They are perfect for pigs in my book, even 120kg+ hogs.

Got me some fresh meat last week..NOT a lot of meat because he was a Jake, but I'll tell you what, he was a stupid one and stood there WAY to long........

photo2.jpg

That's taking the hunt to the bird, Mike. Jake or no, that is a great start to the season.

Jason dropped his first bear on the evening of 28 April 2014. He was using his 30-06 with a load he built at my bench--200 grain AB, F210 primer, IMR 4064, Nosler Case. From the bench, it will give him sub-MOA groups. He was hoping to find a grizzly, but this brown phase black bear was a good start. We'll go out looking again later this week.

His daughter Brianna looks very intense at this point. I had told her to keep her eyes peeled lest a grizzly should stroll into the clearing. Just keep the rifle handy so we had something to use if need be. Jonah, all he cared about was getting some blood on his hands--typical 11 year old boy.

Beautiful bear. Congratulations Jason!

JD338

Nice bear as that setting on the floor would make any room a better looking room! Sound like that .06 is a tack driver for sure! That rite their is what it's all about memories for everyone forever ! Nice pictures and nice harvest can't get much better!

Brianna hovered around shooting video of the skinning until the camera was down to about ten percent power. I gave a quick anatomy lesson as we gutted the bear. Jonah was fascinated by the organ structure. It is always fun to share the years of hunting with young people. They can sure get drawn into the sport in a hurry. I have a date with three young men after church next Sunday to take them shooting. Their mom wants them to learn to handle rifles safely, and I want them to enjoy the sport. I suspect that it is possible that Jonah and Brianna could tag along.

WAY TO GO! Great bear and better yet the kids were involved! My hats off to you and Jason! You two just furthered our sport a little further!

Sounds like everything is coming together really well. Looking forward to hearing about their first meal of BEAR!

SJB358":2k4k4idx said:
Sounds like everything is coming together really well. Looking forward to hearing about their first meal of BEAR!

I gave him a crash course on ribs and teriyaki bear roast before heading home.

Jackson got to go on his first hunt! We even tagged out! Not the way I wanted(strutting in the decoys) but fun was had by all!

0FB4A103-364E-4F42-8534-BB3405203CC7.jpg

CF31B40D-2DF7-4202-8E24-D006AEC1461B.jpg

7451214A-3FBE-4617-86F1-305096D9E776.jpg

F07C346D-BA3C-4669-BF8F-C60366F34821.jpg

And the aftermath!
6C961FEA-DE43-4D01-999F-BEB7BD61B4F8.jpg

Those pictures truly tell a wonderful story, Mike. Congratulations on a good hunt. It does appear Jackson had a great time.

Back