2015 Dall Sheep

STW

Beginner
Apr 18, 2006
Just a very few brief words to describe my incredible adventure. Made it to base camp on schedule.Then the weather changed and we could not get out for three days due to rain and fog.
The evening of the 3rd day the weather broke and we made it out and set up spike camp. NWT law has it so you can not hunt for 12 hours after being transported in an aircraft. We glassed some from spike that night and did the same first thing the next morning.We set out for the top a mountain to enable us to get to a point to glass from. 5 grueling hours of climbing had us at the top.In no time we glassed up three rams. My G7 rangefinder put them at almost 1800 yards. So began the stalk to get us closer so we could determine how good they really were.At 4pm we had closed the distance to just under a 1000 yards. Through the spotting scopes we could see all three were legal and one was a cut above the rest.It was at this point we decided we would not go back down to spike camp as we had enough rations and water for a couple of days and the weather looked promising for the next day. It was 11:10 pm when the three rams walked out below us. At 105 yards the 11 year old ram took the 150 grain AccuBond right in the neck for an instant kill. I was lucky enough that the guide captured it on video for me. The country and other wildlife I experienced has to be seen to be appreciated. The rest of my time back at base camp was spent with other clients and guides helping out, fishing , eating caribou and sheep every day.Its the type of thing a guy just dreams he could do all the time.

Attachments

• 2015 sheep hunt 060 (480x640).jpg
    2015 sheep hunt 060 (480x640).jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 682
  • 2015 sheep hunt 090 (480x640).jpg
    2015 sheep hunt 090 (480x640).jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 682
Congrats on the sheep but the taxidermist will have a time sewing up that hole in the neck :shock:

Excellent ram. Glad you were able to take that beautiful animal and experience the mountains of the NWT. Congratulations! (y)

STW, congratulations on a great Ram!!! The story & photographs are just plain incredible, I am so glad that a fellow flatlander (y) was able to take in the beauty of the mountains and wildlife in a different part of Canada.
Thank you for sharing. We are blessed to live here.

Blessings,
Dan

Great story! Thanks for sharing! Beautiful ram as well. In my book, any sheep or goat is a trophy, and yours is beautiful! Well done!

I'm new to the forum and even though I have never had the opportunity to hunt sheep, I am thrilled you were successful!

Welcome to the forum, nmmuledeerhunter. We're always pleased to see new people posting. May I encourage you to wander over to http://forum.nosler.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22761 and give us an introduction to yourself--what you enjoy shooting, what you hunt (other than mule deer) and something of how you found us. We do enjoy learning of other's interests and area they hunt. Again, welcome aboard.

Back