2017 Hunting Pictures

DrMike":3nvdw9kv said:
Great territory, Rodger. Are you planning your next trip west yet?
Actually I inquired about a property that was for sale in the area while I was there.
Since returning home I have found that it would be healthier there for me then here.
But the wife doesn't want to leave because of family and age.
I found a nice 35ac ranch with water rights for $600K that I would have sold off the land and leased the water rights but it had a contract on it.
Yeah I'm ready to go back but when I do it will be to live there.

Should get a daylight shot next week rut about to kick in full blast.

Attachments

• buck2.JPG
    buck2.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 5,291
Mid season report.
11/16 2nd day of Rifle, I connected on this 8pt Michigan buck.
3006/NBT 150gn on IMR 4350-58.6gn for estimated 2950fps
340929a0cc6bb70b98ec3f43b1fe9ffc.jpg
c3b5f23c8b00e4ae411fabe6f749e21a.jpg

On this second picture, you can see the entrance and one of the exit wounds, what you can’t see is the exit hole on the opposite shoulder, I think thebullet travelled under the skin, took out 4-5 ribs, hit the shoulder and the brass came out the leg and core out the opposite side shoulder.
The buck reared and did a reverse 270 degree pivot and broke hard to the east. In 15 yards he was piling up on the ground. Quick kill, cool to see. I need video! Season open till 11/30. I might get one more day in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mid season report, I helped a friend keep a Family Heirloom in action a Savage model 99 in 303 Savage from 1928. We found brass at Graf’s and set the Hornady FTX for 30-30 on top of 34gn Leverlution for 2300fps. Shooter #1 is the oldest son. Took the deer on a facing quartering shot front shoulder, bullet passed through shoulder, lungs, liver, some guts and exited. liquified the innards. Exit wound visible, Great blood trail.
1774a58e4f4dea7b166854a8cb18cc69.jpg

Younger brother was up next, same rifle (belonged to his moms Grandpa)
6959163d9a2e2ebcdf7ad3fa381264af.jpg

This family is off to a great start!
Dad hit, #1 son hit, #2 son hit, next up is clean up - mom. Could be their first 4 deer season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good job! You're turning this into a truly productive season. Congratulations all the way around.

I was able to let my latest Nosler toy eat this weekend. I picked up the Liberty in 280AI a month ago, put a vortex viper 6.5-20x44 I had laying around on it and got it sighted in dead on at 300 yards. Saturday afternoon I had a friend out with me who hadn't hunted deer since he was 8 (we are 40).

He used an old 6.8 AR I built years ago. 40 minutes into his sit he shot a nice promising 8 pointer. I'm happy for him but dang that would've been a stud in a few years.

At 4:45 I had a doe and her fawn come running out of the woods along the highway. She was clearly being chased as I could see her drooling and foaming at the mouth with my binoculars. The point she came out was about 400 yards behind me. I knew something was pushing her.

Roughly 100 yards behind her came the buck I shot. About half way to my stand he gave up and turned due north. That presented me a 205 yard layup shot. I put the crosshair dead behind the front leg and let it fly. He ran 10 yards and dropped. He's an older deer. Hard to tell while he's laying down. Huge body.

To say I'm pleased with the 280AI is an understatement. I used 150 grain long range accubonds.

*I can't get the bottom picture to flip. It's saved correctly on my computer but for whatever reason flips on here.

Attachments

• 2017 Buck 1.jpg
    2017 Buck 1.jpg
    884.2 KB · Views: 5,183
  • 2017 Buck 2.jpg
    2017 Buck 2.jpg
    725.3 KB · Views: 5,183
MJC,

Excellent report. Congratulations. I a happy for the boys. Their grins tell it all.

Dan

Congratulations to you and your partner. That is a couple of dandy deer. I hear you on wanting those bucks to grow. However, it can be hard to pass on a decent buck. Plus, there can be enough hunting pressure to make it tossing the dice to hope that he can make it another year. Still, you both did well.

We had a pretty good duck day on Saturday although there weren't a lot of mallards around. I think we shot 4 greenheads, 2 Suzies, 1 gadwall, 1 drake wood duck, and the rest were widgeon but we did limit out for 4 guys.

Attachments

• DucksNov2017.jpg
    DucksNov2017.jpg
    520.3 KB · Views: 5,177
Wow! some really impressive deer pictured here and a nice pile of ducks! Congrats to all. mjcmichigan- nice to see the old model 99 in action .... and those SMILES! That's the best! CL

Those are some nice looking bucks fellas, congratulations.

JD338

jtoews80":3c4g8mxx said:
Nov 13/17 NE Alberta Whitetail. Been awhile, hope you are all well and had a great 2017 hunt.

Another real hog. Congratulations. Care to give us the blow-by-blow?

jtoews80 - wow! Quite a buck. Congrats.

Some great stories posted here - I loved the story of the 1928 303 Savage 99 in use! EXCELLENT!

Great stuff guys. Keep it up.

Guy

Back