2017 Hunting Pictures

This years six pointer. Young deer but I was cold and it's meat in the freezer. 230 yards with the 7mm RM, could have placed my shot a tad bit more forward but he didn't even make it 100 yds.
04ceea5adbfac96a40c2a9a802517360.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Why thank you. I did my job, albeit not as well as I could have. I was back about six inches from where I wanted to be. I'm still new to deer hunting, this being the second year, and after watching his pal through the scope for about a minute before he came out, I was itchy.

A crotch six pointer came out about ten minutes after a doe crossed our back field, I'd gotten him on camera and had already decided to let him grow another year. Friday night was windy as heck and it rained for about an hour, pretty much during the magic hour, and left me feeling cold and wanting to see anything besides two spike and a bunch of doe and lamb. Well about a minute after the small six came out, his big brother came out behind him.

I was sitting in a ground blind, and having spent the first week of the season gauging the distance, I figured the shot was about 200 yards, and I was shooting my 7mm Rem Mag with 150 Swift's sighted about an inch and a half high at 100. So being relatively new to the deer game, I lined up quick and touched it off. I had more time and should have taken it but I still got him through the liver. Turned out it was 230 yards. He only made it 75 yards and was done, but I still feel I could have done a touch better. Married into a big deer hunting family, they teach me every time they can.

Made me feel good to use the Remage though, gotta love using hand loads in a rifle you built yourself.

8665c1c96debeb19873f9b7f232a6ceb.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Lots of nice animals this year. Nice buck, any buck you can put in the truck is great.

Jon

Hey, congratulations! I missed this post earlier.

A little secret: most deer hunters have made great shots, and not so great shots. You got your buck!

Guy

Well - I really landed in the middle of some luck. Lots of it, trust me. When you work from a "rolling ground blind" (The crown Vic in the picture)the right critter has to step into the right place at the right time. So..... Last Saturday my Brother in law and I were on the road at 4:00 AM to cover the 120 miles from the big city to a spot in SW MN. Brother in law went with me since hes had a ton of health issues in the last year. Since we are both kinda messed up...We kinda talked each other into going hunting at all. Father in law sprung for the Liscence fee. How could we say no... Any way about 9:30 AM I caught a little bit of movement in the tall grass to the right of the car. In the time it took me to say "deer" to my BIL the deer had moved across the field alley where the car sat. from there a few more steps onto the plowed ground I was sitting next to and into my "shooting lane" defined by the car window. From there it was slow motion.... deer in the scope...dirt over his back....(Safety drummed into my head as a kid) dot on his chest, right behind the shoulder. One of those rare occasions when you see the Deer buckle as the slug hits. Then he disappears from the recoil but I'm back on him in time to see the blood running from his side as he made a 120 yard dash before piling up. Sorry for the crappy pics- I forgot the camera so I'm relying on the skills of others. Shot was about 60 yards with my "Moosberg" using a 12 ga.Federal trophy copper slug. I am so blessed and just dumb lucky. CL

PS- if you count the main beam as a point, He's an 8. My biggest to date. BIL law was pretty stoked too. All the sudden he was out of the car and hobbling into a ground blind in the rain for the remainder of the day. (y) He told m later "it was nice to just be out and sit and just think about hunting...nothing else. Aint that the truth!

Attachments

• Deer 2017b.JPG
    Deer 2017b.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 4,919
  • Deer 2017a.jpg
    Deer 2017a.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 4,913
Congratulations, Troy. You've done well! Good looking animal that will provide some fine dining and great memories for you. Again, congratulations!

Troy, just showed my wife your post and she sends her congratulations to you as well.

To more bulls died by firing squad. We left Saturday to hunt Sunday through Yesterday. Sunday we got into a large herd with 2 raghorn bulls and a spike but my buddy decided he wanted a bigger bull. We spotted the bull I shot the next day on Sunday as well and he looked bigger but he was a long way off and I couldn't see his goofy horn on the one side. So we snuck up on them on Monday. We got to about 40yds of them and couldn't see a bull so we hiked down further to see if they were split up like they were the day before but no elk. As we worked up to them for the second time we jumped 3 muledeer does and they got the elk up. My buddy decided he wanted to take pictures and was slow on the gun because the bull I shot came out of a cut we couldn't see into. He was suppose to be the shooter. We packed my bull out in one trip. Half of a boned out elk in pretty heavy but it was mostly down hill.

On Tuesday we saw the same group of elk from Sunday even further away and another group past them. My buddy decided that was too much work for too little of a bull. So we cut some firewood that afternoon. Yesterday morning we spotted the big herd of elk again close to where they were on Sunday. Then I spotted two bulls together higher up on the hill. We took off after them and an hour later my buddy shot this 6x6. It took us 5 hours to bone him out and pack him out 2 miles with 3/4 of a mile up hill but we did it in one trip. Now it's time to recover. We had a pretty good year, 5 bulls in 8 days of hunting and it could of been 6 days if my buddy wasn't picky.

Attachments

• 20171106_113857(0)1.jpg
    20171106_113857(0)1.jpg
    812.3 KB · Views: 5,344
  • Christians 207 bull number 2.jpg
    Christians 207 bull number 2.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 5,344
Oh, yeah, that is a "pretty good year." Excellent account. Congratulations to you and your compadre. Fine dining awaits you.

Congratulations Troy on the nice 8 pointer and congratulation on the nice elk to your partner and you, IdahoCTD.

A few pictures of the areas I hunted in Montana.
Sorry for the upside down picture click on it and it will turn up right.

Attachments

• KIMG0458.jpg
    KIMG0458.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5,281
  • KIMG0464.jpg
    KIMG0464.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5,281
  • KIMG0467.jpg
    KIMG0467.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5,281
  • IMG_3268.JPG
    IMG_3268.JPG