2017 Hunting Pictures

Cleveland48":1gpa9u57 said:
That is some beautiful scenery Guy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Chelan County, Washington. God made it, I just get to look at it often since I live here.

Guy

Another death by firing squad. This was my non-resident tag I bought to hunt with my buddy next week. I guess I'm just guiding next week. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• 2017 bull.jpg
    2017 bull.jpg
    646.3 KB · Views: 5,220
Thanks guys. I didn't learn my lesson from last year and shot this one 1200yds or so from the top of the ridge road we walk in on. Good thing my buddy was there to help pack it out. I shot it at 5:30 and by the time I got it boned out it was almost dark (we were on the eastern side of a 45 degree ridge so that was 7:00-7:30). We didn't get back to camp until almost 10:30pm. Believe it or not we had to wait until 8:30ish before the wind shifted up hill so we could go after these bulls (there were 3 different bulls bugling) and by 3pm the wind was blowing down again in the area we sat through the middle of day. It's so steep and has so little direct sunlight it makes it hard to have enough time to sneak on anything from the top in the evenings. We stayed down near the elk and took naps and it's a good thing we did because by about 3:30 they were up and moving. This bull grunted once and bugled once and that is the only way I knew where they were. The crazy thing is one of the cows busted us and they never did leave the country. After she busted us we sat down for 20 minutes or so and let them calm down and then went up the ridge we were on instead of track them on the next ridge over where they went. When we sat down I could hear them breaking branches and it didn't appear like they were super spooked. We climbed up our ridge and I spotted this bull through the trees and I let him have it 3 times at about 200yds. We never did see his cows until I started shooting and they never did bolt out of there even after 3 shots.

Nice work Nathan! Might need to edit that though, I first thought the shot was @ 1,200 yards, but I'll assume 200 yards was the distance?

I shot it 200yds away but it was 1200yds off the top of the ridge. The top of the ridge is where the access road is that we use to walk in. That road is not gated off but there are a bunch of rocks blocking the road about 2 miles back where we park the UTV and that is about 21 minutes away from where we parked the trailer. :lol:

Or going in the other direction.......We hopped in the UTV at just after 6am to leave camp. Drive to the parking spot and got there around 6:30am. Walked back in 1000yds or so and waited for it to get light. Walked back near the end of the road and heard bulls bugling down below us. Once the wind shifted we hiked down towards them but before we could get to them they shut up. I forgot my cow call too which didn't help. So we sat down until 4pm and then took off after them. I shot it at 5:30 and we packed it back to the UTV, getting there around 10pm. Loaded up and got to the trailer at around 10:30pm.

Here are some pictures my buddy took and enhanced.

Attachments

• Elk2017 2.jpg
    Elk2017 2.jpg
    471.7 KB · Views: 5,174
  • Elk2017 3.jpg
    Elk2017 3.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 5,174
  • Elk2017 4.jpg
    Elk2017 4.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 5,174
  • Elk2017.jpg
    Elk2017.jpg
    440 KB · Views: 5,174
Guy Miner":ym8wm3bt said:
Image size maybe, but you're showing us what appears to me, to be a big moose and a BIG gun. :)

What is that cannon you're carrying? And why is the bolt so goofy? :) Looks like it's on the wrong side...

Guy

First - Congratulations on the nice bull above.

The "cannon" is a Rem 700 in 338RUM wearing a Broughton 5C at 26". Even though it has more than 1,000 rounds down the tube it still shoots well. I really like the 250 Accubonds for hunting even though the Barnes 250gr Elite Hunter will shoot tighter groups at 400yds. The APS mini painkiller brake works great but they do tend to get out of time.
The bull was estimated to be 1,000lbs based on the weight of the 4 quarters. In all honesty, the bull was TOUGH to eat. Tasted fine but wore out your teeth. lol However, my golden retriever never complained.
The 3x3 pictured above was just the opposite. Estimated weight was 650lbs and the first steak I had was very tender. Can't wait to try the roasts.

Ya, a 338 RUM tossing a 250 gr AccuBond is pretty much a cannon! (y)

I need to figure out how to go on a moose hunt one of these days. Idaho or BC perhaps... Washington has good moose, but getting drawn is tough!

Guy

Drawing in ID is no easy task either guy. Even for us residents it usually takes 6+ years to draw. For a cheaper hunt BC for Shiras would probably be the best bet.

IdahoCTD":7j2enwqs said:
Drawing in ID is no easy task either guy. Even for us residents it usually takes 6+ years to draw. For a cheaper hunt BC for Shiras would probably be the best bet.

Exactly what I'm thinking. Am in good shape for 61, but... Am 61 years old with a lot of aches and pains from old injuries, mostly via adventures in the USMC or in law enforcement.

Those things are kinda kicking up their heels, reminding me that I damaged parts long ago...

I figure I may not be too spry in 10 or 12 years, so if there are big game opportunities I want, I'd better go do them soon. Then I can settle into a routine of deer hunting, bird hunting and fly fishing until someone decides I've had enough time on this earth.

Guy

2017 Wyoming Bull.. 338 WM, 210 Scirocco worked like we all knew they would.

Awesome pictures fellas. Some incredible hunts and animals.

Beautiful animal. Congratulations to the hunters. Did the Mashburn miss the cut?

SJB358":8jpx3e4h said:

2017 Wyoming Bull.. 338 WM, 210 Scirocco worked like we all knew they would.

Awesome pictures fellas. Some incredible hunts and animals.
Beautiful bull! Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back