2017 Hunting Pictures

I'll just bet that your pooch went nuts! Must have been fun trying to restore calm to the house. :mrgreen: Great presentation, by the way. (y)

Guy Miner":k5adhndn said:
Thought I'd add these to the 2017 album:

Guy

Guy, if I missed it before I apologize, but how about some background story on the grizz and wolf. How big, how far, what bullet, etc. Thanks.

There's a pretty long thread on my 2017 Alaskan/Arctic grizzly hunt here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35529

Short version that answers your questions is:

I drove from Washington state to Fairbanks. Took a small plane to a tent camp 150 miles north of the arctic circle. Spent nine days there. Two hunters, two guides. We took two grizzlies and one wolf.

My grizzly squared a bit over 8' and had a 22.5" skull as measured in camp. Both are very respectable for an arctic/interior grizzly, but he'd be small potatoes over on the coast amidst the brown bears. Beautiful hide!

I shot the bear a couple of times with my 30-06 & 200 gr Partitions, and when he was down, finished him with my guide's .338 Win mag using a Barnes bullet. All the shooting was within 40 yards, maybe 50 at the outside, but 40 was my impression. It was a very fast moving incident after a long stalk.

Shot the wolf a few days before I got the bear. Stalked him while he napped! Ran out of cover and the guide howled. The wolf decided to come trot on over to investigate, and I popped him at 250 yards or so, with the 200 gr Nosler Partition.

It was a GREAT hunt, excellent guides. I'd go back and do it again in a heartbeat!

There ya go, the nickle version! :mrgreen:

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":2n07xid8 said:
There's a pretty long thread on my 2017 Alaskan/Arctic grizzly hunt here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35529

Short version that answers your questions is:

I drove from Washington state to Fairbanks. Took a small plane to a tent camp 150 miles north of the arctic circle. Spent nine days there. Two hunters, two guides. We took two grizzlies and one wolf.

My grizzly squared a bit over 8' and had a 22.5" skull as measured in camp. Both are very respectable for an arctic/interior grizzly, but he'd be small potatoes over on the coast amidst the brown bears. Beautiful hide!

I shot the bear a couple of times with my 30-06 & 200 gr Partitions, and when he was down, finished him with my guide's .338 Win mag using a Barnes bullet. All the shooting was within 40 yards, maybe 50 at the outside, but 40 was my impression. It was a very fast moving incident after a long stalk.

Shot the wolf a few days before I got the bear. Stalked him while he napped! Ran out of cover and the guide howled. The wolf decided to come trot on over to investigate, and I popped him at 250 yards or so, with the 200 gr Nosler Partition.

It was a GREAT hunt, excellent guides. I'd go back and do it again in a heartbeat!

There ya go, the nickle version! :mrgreen:

Regards, Guy

Nice. I can almost picture it in my head, or at least partially. I bet you still grin. 40 yrds is tight shooting on anything but on a grizzly especially so! A wolf is an animal that it seems can be a tough animal to get for a lot of guys. Congrats on both.

In todays world an 06 for grizzly would seem almost pre-historic for a lot of people. Good on you. (y)

This is one of the two August 1st deaths by firing squad.

Attachments

• 2017Coreyselk.jpg
    2017Coreyselk.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 5,290
IdahoCTD":2sl461qt said:
This is one of the two August 1st deaths by firing squad.

You didn't blindfold them? :mrgreen: Fine dining, without a doubt. (y)

Oh man! First elk of the year. Congrats.

What sorta details on that one Nathan?

A buddy of mine bought a Tikka last year in 338wm to have me build him a 300wsm. He bought a Bartlein barrel and McMillan stock too. Well I ran out of time to build it because the stock took forever to get here so he hunted with it as a 338wm. He shot a deer at 100yds and a elk at 465yds with it. Before he met me he never had shot past 200yds. This last weekend we went out and he was banging steel at 630yds with factory Hornady Superformance ammo with 225 SST's. He forgot his bipod so he took my short one and it was too short to shoot off of from where we were shooting from so he rolled up with the gun on his knee and let her rip. It took three shots at 400yds but I think he was a little excited for the first two. My dads was a bang flop with a 6.5 Creedmoor using 147 ELD-M's.

No blindfolds Mike. For some reason they didn't want to hold still for that. The elk were super spooky yesterday for some reason. I know they didn't wind us and they generally just run off 100yds and look at you on opening day. They didn't totally blaze out of the county, until we started shooting at them, but they weren't hanging around either. Both elk were shot at +/- 400yds.

I wasn't hunting. I have a bull tag for later as my normal tag and I'll buy a second non-resident bull tag in a different unit to hunt with my buddy from Seattle again this year.

6ff7045184a3e6661c086cb16a501912.jpg
e1332f778139292ee9b4c4306cd3a563.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I messed up yesterday.......................

Went on the web site of that ranch I'm hunting next month and viewed 2016 game pics. Nothing screws up my attention as much as starting to think about that hunt. :>)

172be484ee008c5bc8188b074edccc98.jpg

My first black bear (3rd tag). #26 registered in Chippewa county Mich. 180gn NAB, 300WM, dumped him on the spot. A very average Michigan bear. Might have the shot on video( trail cam)

Looks as if you harvested a bear with a great look pelt. I know the meat will be a delight for you.

Definitely looking forward to the meat and pelt. Stopped on the way home to see my 80 yr old aunt, she commented, if I don't want the pelt, she'd love to have it....going to be hard ... favorite aunt status has benefits...actually wondering if they'd have it done by Christmas. The weather was not ideal. Temps were running upper 70's to 81. Mosquitos and flies were out in full force!

Very happy with the accubonds. Had PPTs loaded for my 3006 as back up, guess those ill use on a buck.

I need to thank all you guys for the encouragement and reloading lessons!

New Mexico, too bad no bulls down. Had several at 15 yards, never had a shot present itself! Two were over 350, but came home with a black bear at least
4d9ad418a52cc778e60943c85eb0ee17.jpg

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

Back