2018 loading & shooting goals?

NYDAN":xu10tk3o said:
Develop a good deer load for Caleb's 30-06.
Help Roland fine tune his 30-06 elk load.

IMR4350 57.4 grs.
Winchester brass
Federal 210 match primer
Nosler 165 gr. AccuBond or Partition

(or)
H4350

Try about 56-58 grs. with either of those powders and the 165 gr. Nosler bullets. Two 30-06 rifles of mine have loved the IMR4350 load listed. Both the AccuBond and Partition make excellent elk and deer bullets in the 30-06.

6mm Remington":35r01l02 said:
NYDAN":35r01l02 said:
Develop a good deer load for Caleb's 30-06.
Help Roland fine tune his 30-06 elk load.

IMR4350 57.4 grs.
Winchester brass
Federal 210 match primer
Nosler 165 gr. AccuBond or Partition

(or)
H4350

Try about 56-58 grs. with either of those powders and the 165 gr. Nosler bullets. Two 30-06 rifles of mine have loved the IMR4350 load listed. Both the AccuBond and Partition make excellent elk and deer bullets in the 30-06.

Thanks. I have some H4350 (and a couple other powders) and 165 BT's to try out in Caleb's deer rifle.

Dan

Dan

At least one sub inch group with the 250 Savage
Re-Scope and shoot grandpas .22
See if I can get Dads 7mag to shoot a sub 2 inch group

Main thing: Be able to get out to the range yet- preferably on my own some times. I love the peace and quiet just before the recoil :) My goal is at least 8 hours a month. april - til snow.

I built myself a simple portable awning for over the benches at the club. I want to shoot in a nice rain. Sounds therapeutic.... :)

One trip a month at least shooting with a friend or new shooter.

Help w/ a "public sight-in" day at the club

Shoot some from my "field positions" every trip to the range.

Shoot with family or friends back home. ( a pheasant hunt would be fantastic, but clays would be just fine.

OH- almost forgot- just got the parts to rebuild my Crosman 760 air rifle. Been shooting that since 1974- should really pick off a "trophy gopher" or two again. (y)

I want to make AAA in Trap Singles 98 % or higher average and make the 27 yard line. Yes I like bird hunting as I live in Iowa. I also would like to run 100 straight in Skeet again. Picked up a New old stock 1100 20ga. Tournament Skeet unfired with Gorgeous Wood did not see that coming. I did not need another shotgun but it was a 1980's gun and stunning looking wood. Oh well spent my handgun fund on a shotgun, it's funny how things just happen sometimes.
As for rifles
.223 Rem while I have a good load with V 133, I want to try a max load of Benchmark powder to see if I can get more velocity, and keep the same accuracy with Hornady's 53gr V Max. as its my Coyote load. I don't think you can ever hit a Coyote to hard, well maybe almost cut one in half with my .264 Win Mag.
Play with some Blue Dot reduced velocity loads in .223 Rem. Like 2000 FPS & 3000 FPS loads
6mm Rem see how the Nosler 95gr BT due in my rifle that I picked up.
.264 Win Mag try Nosler 130gr AB and see how much speed I can get with it.
300 H&H done 180gr Nosler AB is all I most likely will ever need in this rifle and it shoots good enough as is.
Try and shoot my Handguns a little more because there feeling neglected. :)

Hopefully my son and I will empty 4 or 5 thousand rounds again on prairie dogs this spring and reload them again; empty 4 or 5 thousand 9mm plate and steel shooting together and load them again; and continue to dump coyotes this winter efficiently so we don’t eat into our prairie dog loads too far (wink).

(And in 2018 or 19....buy a tool that will empty 6.5 creedmore very accurately so I can reload those too)

((And hopefully the best duck hunting year in over 40 years this fall will be topped in 2018))...but I don’t reload waterfowl loads.

That’s all I want...and a thermos.

joelkdouglas":2c4chl4q said:
Kill two elk

v/r
Joel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like this goal too but I'm shooting for 4. 3 in Idaho and a cow in UT. I had 4 tags last year and only had time to hunt for 3 because of my wife's moose tag. I did get 3 elk though.

JD338":1qy8y8ph said:
Sue and I have decided to do a honeymoon moose hunt so this spring I will work up a load for her 280 AI with the 150 gr PT. I will also work with and fine tune the new 265 gr ABLR in the 338 RUM.
I also want to develop a mid range load for my S&W 629 3" 44 Rem Mag that would utilize a 240 gr hard cast bullet.

JD338

Congrats on the wedding Jim. I can't think of a better way to spend a honeymoon.

IdahoCTD":1usj6g6v said:
JD338":1usj6g6v said:
Sue and I have decided to do a honeymoon moose hunt so this spring I will work up a load for her 280 AI with the 150 gr PT. I will also work with and fine tune the new 265 gr ABLR in the 338 RUM.
I also want to develop a mid range load for my S&W 629 3" 44 Rem Mag that would utilize a 240 gr hard cast bullet.

JD338

Congrats on the wedding Jim. I can't think of a better way to spend a honeymoon.

Thanks buddy.
I created a monster! ;)

JD338

I’d like to take 2 Elk and a mule deer this year. Maybe a spring black bear or MT lion this winter.

I have a couple of rifles my little brother wants me to load for as well.

I want to get my daughter out shooting her 7-08 as often as I can.

Then I’ll piddle around with some of my other rifles that need a load made up for them. Trying my best to have one load then put a bunch of them together to minimize random stuff on my shelves.

My goal was to find a replacement powder for the H-4350 no longer available. The last LB. of IMR-4350 I bought is nothing like the IMR a few years ago and I don't get the results with it I want. I've settled on Vihtavuori N-550 for my 30-06 165 gr load. The powder is not picky with 53-54grs giving the same accuracy as H-4350. The fouling from this powder seems to be softer than other powders and easier to clean with no copper fouling. I'm starting to like this powder.
Billy

Billy, if you want to another RL16 has been pretty much a dead match for accuracy and a little faster than H4350. I’m just about to the point I don’t care about needing H4350 again.

SJB358":2tsfpzuv said:
Billy, if you want to another RL16 has been pretty much a dead match for accuracy and a little faster than H4350. I’m just about to the point I don’t care about needing H4350 again.
I saw around 11 lbs of H4350 the other day! Funny thing is I reached above it on the shelf and got two more lbs of RL16 and left. I just don’t want to make a load with H4350 and not me able to find it again. I get better velocity and just as much accuracy with RL16.

Get this one ready for hunting season.
XOp2i3O.jpg

2NQvqtl.jpg

UKbZbxk.jpg

QQCDjgx.jpg

pD6aQks.jpg

Tw8hmZh.jpg

The scope is a Leopold 6x36 in Talley rings.

elkhunternm":21kwt0js said:
Get this one ready for hunting season.
XOp2i3O.jpg

2NQvqtl.jpg

UKbZbxk.jpg

QQCDjgx.jpg

pD6aQks.jpg

Tw8hmZh.jpg

The scope is a Leopold 6x36 in Talley rings.
Beautiful rifle Elkhunter! Great clambering as well.

JD338":xu994qen said:
IdahoCTD":xu994qen said:
JD338":xu994qen said:

JD338

Thanks buddy.
I created a monster! ;)

JD338

Short of the additional drain on the pocketbook there isn't really a downside to that. Half the time it's just as fun to watch, teach, take someone else. I wish my wife was more into it sometimes but I do enjoy "My" time as well and someone has to watch the kiddos when I in the woods. I have to do a better job training/teaching/watching my hunting partner for a few more years and wait for my kids to get a little bigger.

Back