2020 Wyoming Elk Hunt

Thanks for sharing your hunt. This was very enjoyable to follow along. The pictures and storyline were spot on. Being a long time 30-06 owner I followed your load development also. Dan.

That's what I'm talking about Scotty! Congratulations to both of you, sounds like a ton of fun. The 300 Win Mag/200g AB combo is an elk getter for sure. And I'm glad to see that the 212 ELDM worked BEAUTIFULLY for you, as I knew it would. Even though it's a "match" bullet, they still get the job done :)

Thanks fellas.. It is a passion. Wished I had about 2 or 3 elk hunts a year!

remingtonman_25_06":2t6ybecf said:
That's what I'm talking about Scotty! Congratulations to both of you, sounds like a ton of fun. The 300 Win Mag/200g AB combo is an elk getter for sure. And I'm glad to see that the 212 ELDM worked BEAUTIFULLY for you, as I knew it would. Even though it's a "match" bullet, they still get the job done :)

Not to speak for Scotty and not to say the match bullet wouldn't of worked, but just trying to keep things correct as I understand them. Unless he switched bullets from what he was testing, he used the ELDX, not the match bullet.

ShadeTree":bv6xze9s said:
remingtonman_25_06":bv6xze9s said:

Not to speak for Scotty and not to say the match bullet wouldn't of worked, but just trying to keep things correct as I understand them. Unless he switched bullets from what he was testing, he used the ELDX, not the match bullet.

That's correct ST, it is an ELD X... Is there really a difference between the two? Who knows, as the 147 ELD M in my 6.5 CM has been really darned good as well.

SJB358":2d5pjefr said:
ShadeTree":2d5pjefr said:
remingtonman_25_06":2d5pjefr said:

That's correct ST, it is an ELD X... Is there really a difference between the two? Who knows, as the 147 ELD M in my 6.5 CM has been really darned good as well.

Don't know, according to Hornady 1 is a hunting bullet, the other a match bullet. Many people say the ELDM is actually the old A-max match bullet which was highly frangible. That doesn't make it bad, can be put to very good use in the right application.

ShadeTree":2l2cwdil said:
SJB358":2l2cwdil said:
ShadeTree":2l2cwdil said:
remingtonman_25_06":2l2cwdil said:

Don't know, according to Hornady 1 is a hunting bullet, the other a match bullet. Many people say the ELDM is actually the old A-max match bullet which was highly frangible. That doesn't make it bad, can be put to very good use in the right application.

My opinion of them, but only from my jaded view is they have labeled hunting bullets and match bullets to sell more bullets. I couldn't tell the difference between the 143 ELDX and the 147 ELD M shot into jugs within 50 FPS of one another. Not bad really, shrewd marketing really as folks buy them up pretty briskly.

It would be interesting to see more of them shot side by side in a simple bullet test to form some more opinions.

I tried the 200 ELD X awhile back out of a 300 Magnum, but only at about 2800 FPS and there wasn't anything left worth taking a picture of. So, when I had good accuracy with the 212's from the 06, I shot quite a few of them into jugs before I was comfortable with them.

Just like everything else we do I guess, you do your homework and go to the field with what you've seen and observed.

Guy Miner":3js7i3s0 said:
Scotty - it truly is wonderful that you've discovered that new 30-06 cartridge and let us know that it's a legit choice for big game...

:wink:
Well Scotty, might as well sell all the rest of your rifles now, your 30-06 can do it all! That is what my Dad and uncle told me 45 years ago when they got me my first 30-06 Model 70. That is all they both hunted with all their lives and I hunted with mine for over 40 years until I recently had it rebarreled to a 25-06.

Scotty,

I suppose hell hath frozen over if Bill left his trusty 300 at home and you broke out the (gasp) 30-06! All jokes aside, congratulations to all of you guys! It's awesome that you were able to honor your loved one with your rifle selection, making a tough shot, and harvesting a great elk. I hope to emulate you and follow suit when I return stateside and hunt my stepfather's .264 WM Westerner. It was the rifle I always admired as a kid and put me in the M70 fan club for life.
Looks like you've really put your little brother on the path to enlightenment with his shooting. It's great to see and hear that his skills are unquestionably field proven. I've been casing the forum waiting for the story since departing DC and it didn't disappoint! Thanks for the pics and taking us along for the ride. You guys crushed it!
V/R,
Joe

EOD Diver":1npfop3d said:
Scotty,

I suppose hell hath frozen over if Bill left his trusty 300 at home and you broke out the (gasp) 30-06! All jokes aside, congratulations to all of you guys! It's awesome that you were able to honor your loved one with your rifle selection, making a tough shot, and harvesting a great elk. I hope to emulate you and follow suit when I return stateside and hunt my stepfather's .264 WM Westerner. It was the rifle I always admired as a kid and put me in the M70 fan club for life.
Looks like you've really put your little brother on the path to enlightenment with his shooting. It's great to see and hear that his skills are unquestionably field proven. I've been casing the forum waiting for the story since departing DC and it didn't disappoint! Thanks for the pics and taking us along for the ride. You guys crushed it!
V/R,
Joe

Thanks Joe. It was a great trip for us all.

That 264 WM Westerner is a dream rifle for me. Can’t wait to see you use it some.

Back