2020 Wyoming Elk Hunt

Awesome Scottie! Thanks for sharing the story, and the pics. I enjoyed it very much.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

That was one great hunt Scotty. Congrats to everyone involved. That will definitely be a cherished memory.

Scotty, Congratulations to all the hunters and a big "Thank You" for sharing a wonderful experience.
Next year when I return to Montana for elk I will go with confidence in my 30-06 now that you have confirmed it is enough gun for the task... Thanks Again, and Good luck with the buck hunting.
Are you coming up to New York? Regards, Rol

Rol_P":vsnxa0bb said:
Scotty, Congratulations to all the hunters and a big "Thank You" for sharing a wonderful experience.
Next year when I return to Montana for elk I will go with confidence in my 30-06 now that you have confirmed it is enough gun for the task... Thanks Again, and Good luck with the buck hunting.
Are you coming up to New York? Regards, Rol

Oh yeah, I am back and forth about 2X a month as long as work isn't in the way. Got a good buck I have been trying to stick with the bow, but I am going to give a long weekend to the Adirondacks once they get some snow on as well.

All kidding aside, with the newer powders today and sleek bullets, the 30-06 really has enough case space to really work those 200+ bullets very well. The great thing is it won't push them so fast they will turn into grenades either like the 300 magnums will if you aren't careful. Plus, they aren't so slow it's like lobbing rocks. I still can run a 250 zero and shoot out to 300'ish without having to worry a bunch about trajectory. Same goes for anything from the 270 on up, but it isn't hard to build a sub 8lb 06 based rifle whereas a 7 or 300 magnum takes a bit more smithing...

Fun stuff though.

Scotty,

That was a great hunt! Thanks for sharing it with us. Congrats to your whole camp on a successful trip!

Bret

Scotty, congratulations to Bill, your brother and you on the fine elk. Thanks for taking us along with a great story and pictures. Wow, the good ol Model 70 30-06 does it again, very nice!

Scotty - it truly is wonderful that you've discovered that new 30-06 cartridge and let us know that it's a legit choice for big game...

:wink:

Guy Miner":1xjmug9n said:
Scotty - it truly is wonderful that you've discovered that new 30-06 cartridge and let us know that it's a legit choice for big game...

I am kind of a stunt shooter.... Be careful if you use them regularly... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Fantastic hunt all the way around Scotty! Congratulations to all! Great country and scenery, successful hunting, good food, and good company. What else could anyone want in a hunt! Everything worked out very well it sounds like. Excellent.

Thanks fellas. It was a fun time in camp and on the mountain.

Guy Miner":3du5g4eg said:

Excellent stories on a wonderful hunt Scotty! Thanks for sharing!

My (sarcastic) thoughts exactly Guy!! It’s awful hard to knock a .30-06!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SJB358":1oa4dsio said:
Guy Miner":1oa4dsio said:

I am kind of a stunt shooter.... Be careful if you use them regularly... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Man, this 30-06 thing could really take off........

Darn it! I knew the 30-06 can kill in the right hands! I just knew it!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Lol. My least fav rifle is my 3006, mainly because is has a savage bolt trigger and stock... should probably unload it for something more to my liking like a Model 70, Tikka, Weatherby...but it costs me nothing and shoots better than the guy holding it. Great Cartridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gerry":2ek8dgsc said:
SJB358":2ek8dgsc said:
Guy Miner":2ek8dgsc said:

The funny part is that rifle ALMOST became a 35 Whelen. I couldn't make it shoot ANYTHING really well and I was getting pretty sour at it. I loved how it handled and the recoil feels like a pellet rifle compared to some others I use. I did the Tubb's Final Finish bullets down it as a last resort, half heartedly firing it pretty quick and not really giving it alot of time to cool...

Well, once I was done, it shot with some cheap WW 150 factory loads pretty darned well... Then the 212 ELD X with Staball 6.5 shot some amazing groups out to 500 and further. I kept it in the rig next to my other elk rifles (7 Mashburn and 300 RUM).... Every once in awhile I'd pull it out, dial and drill the steel with it and kept thinking, man this thing might be okay..

I carried my Mashburn the first day of the hunt and the next day we were packing meat and being the 06 was my lightest rifle I decided to take it... The rest is history I guess. I kinda think of it as a big 6.5 CM actually.. It's almost the same trajectory as my 6.5 with the 147's with a bunch more bullet weight that holds onto speed pretty danged well. I'd shot the ELD into jugs and trusted it at the speeds the 06 would put it out hold up and I'll be darned if it didn't crunch leg bones and really soup the front end like I have seen with other much faster cartridges...

When my brother saw the damage he stated "jeeze Scotty, what do I need a 300 for"? :lol:

I told him, "hold the leg and quit distracting me with facts"... :mrgreen:

Congratulations Scotty on a excellent hunt (y). Thanks you for the story and the photos as well :wink:. You will have some fine meals this winter from that Elk.

Blessings,
Dan

SJB358":2l5je5hp said:
gerry":2l5je5hp said:
SJB358":2l5je5hp said:
Guy Miner":2l5je5hp said:

The funny part is that rifle ALMOST became a 35 Whelen. I couldn't make it shoot ANYTHING really well and I was getting pretty sour at it. I loved how it handled and the recoil feels like a pellet rifle compared to some others I use. I did the Tubb's Final Finish bullets down it as a last resort, half heartedly firing it pretty quick and not really giving it alot of time to cool...

Well, once I was done, it shot with some cheap WW 150 factory loads pretty darned well... Then the 212 ELD X with Staball 6.5 shot some amazing groups out to 500 and further. I kept it in the rig next to my other elk rifles (7 Mashburn and 300 RUM).... Every once in awhile I'd pull it out, dial and drill the steel with it and kept thinking, man this thing might be okay..

I carried my Mashburn the first day of the hunt and the next day we were packing meat and being the 06 was my lightest rifle I decided to take it... The rest is history I guess. I kinda think of it as a big 6.5 CM actually.. It's almost the same trajectory as my 6.5 with the 147's with a bunch more bullet weight that holds onto speed pretty danged well. I'd shot the ELD into jugs and trusted it at the speeds the 06 would put it out hold up and I'll be darned if it didn't crunch leg bones and really soup the front end like I have seen with other much faster cartridges...

When my brother saw the damage he stated "jeeze Scotty, what do I need a 300 for"? :lol:

I told him, "hold the leg and quit distracting me with facts"... :mrgreen:

That's a pretty sweet looking 30-06, glad that Tubb's Final Finish gave it a new lease on life. That 212 at 2700 fps is quite a load.

Back