2025 Spring Hunt

KinleyWater

Handloader
Jun 15, 2019
All,

I'm looking at doing another spring bear hunt in Idaho in late May to early June, but I don't want to use a guide this time. However, that creates a conundrum for me as I don't have:
A tent
A tent stove
Pack animals
Tack
etc.

Want to do a 2 bear area for myself and one or two others. Looked at doing a drop camp, but that's far more expensive than I'd like to spend. From the half-dozen outfitters I checked, I saw that most were within $1k of of a fully guided hunt, and for the same price, I could buy a tent, stove, kit, etc.

So, I'm open to suggestions. Any thoughts from the group?

Thanks in advance.

I'm in BC instead of Idaho where you are going but can offer some suggestions. I would look at finding a series of clear cuts and hunt them. Look slopes that get some sun and have lots of grass. Following the snow line up as it melts should help since the bears will be keen to get that fresh grass. If it's hot they will be out at night so early morning and late in the day will be the best time to hunt. During the middle of the day you could scout for droppings and also take a nap so you will be fresh during the best hunting times. Buy yourself a tent with a fly that goes all the way to the ground, a good sleeping bag and mat and hunt from your truck. I think you'll do great hiking the logging roads and glassing. If you're not finding droppings move until you find some and hunt there instead.

I'm in BC instead of Idaho where you are going but can offer some suggestions. I would look at finding a series of clear cuts and hunt them. Look slopes that get some sun and have lots of grass. Following the snow line up as it melts should help since the bears will be keen to get that fresh grass. If it's hot they will be out at night so early morning and late in the day will be the best time to hunt. During the middle of the day you could scout for droppings and also take a nap so you will be fresh during the best hunting times. Buy yourself a tent with a fly that goes all the way to the ground, a good sleeping bag and mat and hunt from your truck. I think you'll do great hiking the logging roads and glassing. If you're not finding droppings move until you find some and hunt there instead.
Great and sound advice from someone who has the experience. (y)

I haven’t checked Idaho snow packs but here in NE Oregon the snow pack is pretty thin. If it is that way in Idaho you could have very easy travels by late may.
Normal years access can be pretty tough around here unless you have an ATV of some kind. Seems like any road over 5000 foot elevation that travels on a north face slope will still have snow pack. Get out of the timber on the exposed high ridges and you’ll have good going. My favorite area you’d be hiking for hours to get to a place a side by side going over the snow drifts would get you in just a few minutes. I don’t own an ATV and consiquently dont take spring bear too seriously. But when I have getting high and glassing the south facing slopes is the ticket.

Thank you all. I've hunted a grand total of 01 bears a grand total of 01 hunts, so anything I can add to my toolkit is much appreciated. Best forum on the net.

@KinleyWater what kind of gear do you already have? Do you have a good pack?

I have to say every time I see your signature lines I chuckle, love it!

This is such a good forum too. Usually when guys have a disagreement they settle it and move on. The odd guy that doesn't Fotis and Jim run off but that seems to be rare.

I was lurking on another forum and I noticed that everyone seemed to think they needed to advertise every single firearm they owned. And better than half of them seemed to think they needed to quote one of a dozen people. I mean, I have no issue with it, but I just like poking a little gentle fun sometimes.

Okay, here's what I've got that I am confident in:
Rifle - 35 Whelen (because, of course) It's a Rem 700, blued and wood, so I have concerns with spring rains, but it is the rifle I am most confident with.
Range finder
JetBoil clone
Wool socks - lots of them
Good base layers.
Mostly-good binos (they are well used)
I'm getting some new boots, because the last pair I had did not hold up. I'm replacing my pack with a dry bag setup for the same reason as the boots - being wet sucks. Getting some good gaiters; they suit me better than rain pants.

I have a tent, but not something I would take to north Idaho. I wouldn't be confident in it lasting more than a few days.

You almost might call this a gentleman's forum. Well, excepting that they let me in ;)

Sounds like you have a good start on your gear and you have a year to add what you need. A down coat would be a must, it packs down pretty small but gives you some warmth when needed. Expect temperatures from warm and sunny to below freezing and even some snow. I've been in my down bag wearing my down coat a few times mostly in the fall but it can happen in spring.

Your Whelen will work great, just make sure your stock is fully sealed and you should have no issues.

The bugs, you might wish to have a bug net just in case.

A big cooler for your meat and some frozen milk jugs of water.

Some gear I can recommend:

Jetboil
MSR Guardian
Kuiu clothing
Kryptek clothing
REI brand 800 fill hydrophobic down jacket
Kuiu pack
Kenetrek boots
REI brand wool underwear
Smartwool socks
Minox binoculars
Patagonia fleece

I hope this helps

Some gear I can recommend:

Jetboil
MSR Guardian
Kuiu clothing
Kryptek clothing
REI brand 800 fill hydrophobic down jacket
Kuiu pack
Kenetrek boots
REI brand wool underwear
Smartwool socks
Minox binoculars
Patagonia fleece

I hope this helps
It certainly does. Love Kenetrek, but I almost think I could hire someone to carry me around for the cost of a pair :LOL: . I've run the extreme budget route before, and I know you end up sore, cold, wet, and tired.

Another thing I want to get is a quality backpack-style dry bag. Anyone have any experience?

I wear Kenetrek every day. I rotate them to everyday wear at about 3 years. I’m pretty hard on boots and usually after three seasons they start leaking a little. Once that happens they go to the everyday on the farm/dog training rack. They last about three years there.

I use a duffle bag style dry bag . it's Cabelas brand . it does keep things dry . I'm not sure if they have a backpack style , might be worth a look .

I have a pair of meindl boots . I think this is the only pair of boots that I could wear all day right from day one . they are very comfortable , and not slippery when jumping rocks while crossing water . I've never had Kenetrek boots . they have a loyal following , that says a lot .

Not many flying bugs that early but ticks can be a problem. I’ve not hunted Idaho, only utah and Montana.

Early June is the start of the bear rut so the boars will be on the move if your doing a spot and stalk. You can bait but dont expect to have bears on bait before 4-5 days.

Back