204 ruger suggestions

tkeveney

Beginner
Dec 22, 2008
I am now ready to start reloading my 204. I've finally emptied enough hornady factory ammo to have enough brass to work with.

My rifle is a Ruger M77 ultralight bolt action. The rifle has a pretty short barrel - just 20 inches.

I chose the shorter barrel as I tend to use the weapon as a "carry gun" and the typical varmint guns are very heavy.

Do any of you have recommendations as to powders to start with? I intend to start with 40 grain bullets, as their ballistics tend to perform better at the longer ranges. Does this make sense, or should I go for the 32 grain speed demons?

I'm not sure of the twist rate on the rifling. Will this play a role in bullet weight selection?

Input from y'all with experience in reloading this caliber would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help.

with a 20" barrel you are not gunna break any speed records so I say shoot the 40s

27.5 grs of varget seems to be popular around my parts

H4895 and Win 748. Benchmark works great also!

34gr Midsouth Varmint Extremes (500ct for $39.99) and Benchmark works for me. Those Midsouth Varmint bullets are a real sleeper bullet, for me anyways...

Rod

H4895 and H322 work good for me with 32 vmax and 35 grain berger bullets.

If I were to start load development from scratch, I'd pick these but also give that IMR 8028 or whatever it is a try also. I can't remember the exact number on it right now, but it is a small caliber burn rate powder that is suppose to be really fast and accurate.

I think with the 20 inch barrel you may find some of the faster burning powders suited for this caliber may work the best. I hate to say this, but the best performing bullet for me so far in my Cooper has been the 39 grain Sierra with the 35 grain Berger second. Both have loads worked up with Benchmark. Most 204's come with a factory 12 twist, so the 40 plus grain bullets don't always stabalize very well.

Rod - I need to find some of those Midsouth bullets and give them a try. Are they a hollow point, plastic tip or whatever?

I did some double - checking. The barrel on my Ruger DOES have the 1:12 twist rate.

So far I've not noticed any inaccuracy with the 40 grain bullet, but have not tried anything heavier.

I may just have to look into those 35 grain bullets as well.

Thanks for the tips on the powders. I may start with 748, as I already have some of it.

I knew I'd lose some velocity with the 20 inch barrel, but the handiness of the gun makes up for the loss in speed (it still IS fast as hell anyway.)

I always had a thing for 20 caliber. I have two Sheridan air rifles in .20 In air rifles - the 20 offers a tremendous advantage. It hits harder than a .177 and moves faster than a .22 It has always been a good "tweener" in that respect.

Back