210 vs 215 primers

KAHLES300

Beginner
Mar 13, 2007
I use Federal 215 primers for my 300 WM, but a friend of mine said that he has found them to be too hot leading to accuracy problems. He uses 210's in all his magnums (even a 338 RUM). Does anyone have any information or load data on this?

KAHLES300

Welcome to the forum, we are glad you are here.

I use Federal Gold Match primers for all my rifles.
Standard calibers get the GM210M primers and any magnum
gets the GM215M primers.
I did switch to the 215 for my 280AI and get excellent accuracy.
My 338 RUM gets nothing but 215's also and it shoots .5 MOA.

JD338

Everry rifle and load is an individual. If you are tweaking your group,primers are one thing you can try. My WSM shoots best with WLR and my 25/06 uses mag primers. Got to try them to find out what works best.Rick.

I've not noticed that Federal Magnum primers are "hot". I saw a post on a forum (I don't know if it was here or not) where someone did a test of primers and determined that Winchester primers were the "hottest" or created the greatest increase in pressure. I've loaded Federal and CCI Magnum large rifle primers in several loads and didn't notice any significant increase or decrease in velocity between the two. And I do have a chronograph to check my velocity variations and I've not noticed any.

If you have ever read "One Hole Group" the author pretty much de-bunks the primer myth... you won't gain or lose anything with primers, or even that last .1 grain of powder... I use Rem primers... I've had problems in the past with CCI primers not staying in the cases and making a mess, or jamming my gun.... not fun.

GISMatting, I disagree with the statement about primers not making a difference. I have had noticable differences in group size and chronograph consistancy by switching primers. Depending on case capacity, 0.1gr of powder may or may not change things. It sure will in the smaller cases. If you read Precision Shooting you will frequently read that the shooters change their powder by a click or so on their powder dispensers.Rick.

Read the article again, have seen it before, he only used Fed primers and commented on seating pressure not making a difference. Since we don't have his facility or equipment to try various primers, I stand by what I have seen in my own rifles fired at my range.Rick.

Switched from F215GM to WLR in my 338 Win and RL 19, groups tighten up!

Still use F215GM in my 300 Win

I live in up state PA and hunt woodchucks in the summer and deer in the winter. I use 210s in my 25-06 behind a 85gr BT for woodchucks. I then go to a 115gr BT for deer. I was able to shoot under 1" groups in the summer, but when it got cold my groups were closer to 2". It is usually is in the single digits and at times below zero during deer season. I switched to 215s for my deer load and my groups jumped back to below 1" in cold weather.

In colder weather, I like a hotter spark plug. Just make sure to start with a reduced load when changing primers. I however would not go to a 210 in a magnum because hang fires are not fun.

Alot of it depends on what powder you are using. Stick powders tend to like cold primers, like cci 200. Ball powders tend to need a hotter primer. In my 7mm STW, with 100 gr of a military surplus ball powder, Fed 215 and Fed 215GM are the only primers that will allow it to group better then my 12 gauge. If primers didn't matter, there wouldn't be so many to choose from. :wink:

Most of my experience has been with CCI BR primers and all smaller calibers...largest up to .280 for frequent reloading. I was given a .300RUM for X-mas a few years back and started reloading for it immediately. Yes with the CCI BR primers. Then attempted to figure out why it acted like a muzzle loader when I pulled the trigger. Numerous times there would be a hang-fire with three different powders. My experience, the regular primer is not enough for the heavy Magnums. Have yet to have the problem after switching to the Fed215's

As far as an accuracy stance on switching primers.....Absolutely.

Back