Magnum vs standard rifle primer

I use mag primers with ball powders and some of the reloader powders in colder weather to offset the temp instability.
I learned the hard way about using Magnum primers in cold weather. I had loaded up some 7MM-08 140 Grain Sierra Game kings/with H414 with standard primers and then after sighting in took the combination to Maine for my annual deer hunt. Well the temperature got down to about 10 below one morning and as I was walking over a small ridge I spotted an 8 pointer about 15 yards away, bedded down no less. I raised my rifle, the deer got up and I fired. Instead of a bang I got a weak report and the deer left rather quickly. Upon checking I found a lot of unburned powder in the barrel. From then on I used magnum primers for that particular combination. Never had another problem.

If I couldn't hunt in cold weather, I'd likely not be hunting around here. The coldest I've hunted was about -35 C (-31 f).
Only once - I had a Utah mountain lion hunt booked. The week before I flew out, I called the outfitter to make sure all the arrangements were in place. The guy tells me that it's -20deg. I tell him that I'm a Long Islander and that I don't do 20 below. The outfitter said, "neither do I".

When I land in Salt Lake City it was well below freezing but I brought enough heavy clothing to get me to Iceland. We had some deep snow and cold weather for the week. Actually walking with all those layers of clothes on was difficult. Once the dogs were on a cat, the layers got peeled back every 10-15 minutes. By the time we actually reached the cat, I was down to my BVDs and sweeting light an Olympic runner. I sat on an ice covered rock and told my guide to take a picture for my wife, who would never have believed any of this. The guy said, "Mormons don't take pictures like that". :eek: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Things are getting pretty bad when paying $140 for a brick of primers is considered a score. I paid $125 for the last two bricks of GMM primers and cringed as I handed over my CC. :ROFLMAO:
For those of us who are addicted to this sport, we've just got to pony up the $$$$. However, it sure has changed the sport. I see less and less guys at our club every year and the guys that do show up spend more time socializing than they do shooting. Component costs have really changed things for many sportsmen.

I would but I just scored some Federal GM210M primers.
I'm in pretty good shape with primers and powder!

JD338
I see you have some Reloader 15. I have 4 pounds of the stuff will likely never use I should sell it to you but you live a good distance away so makes it hard

I see you have some Reloader 15. I have 4 pounds of the stuff will likely never use I should sell it to you but you live a good distance away so makes it hard
Closer than you think buddy. 😉

JD338

Back