215 Federal primers

Greg Nolan

Handloader
Nov 25, 2004
This has probably been on the forum but what happened to all the Federal 215 primers?? All my regular sources are out with no backorders taken??
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

Greg,

Winchester WRM primers are said to be hotter than the Federal GM215M primers. Also good reviews on CCI BR2 Match Grade primers.

JD338

If you have a Sportsmans Warehouse in your area you may wish to give them a try. Mine Just got some in. Both the 210, and the 215. I had plenty of the 215's, but I cleaned them out of the 210's.

I think I got the last two boxes at Aurora Sportsman's the other day :) Long time between seeing the 210s there!

I received a shooting catalog not long ago from Cabelas and they are showing Federal 215 primers in their catalog. You might try them to see if they have any. They are asking $31.99 for 1,000.

Noslers Rock!

Thanks
I have a sportsman's warehouse but they have never had the Fd 215's in stock.
I tried Cabellas and they were backordered. Thanks JD338 I'll try them.
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

I ran out of Fed 215s and no one had them. I ran 215s in by 25-06 and 7mm Rem Mag.

I was getting consistant .5 to .75 inch groups with 54.1grs of R22, 215s, behind a 117gr Horn SPBT in my 25-06. I would start seeing flattened primers in my 25-06 with 55 grs of r22 with the 215s. My 25-06 is a Ruger MKII and is picky. +/- 1gr of power charge will make it shoot 1.5+ inch groups.

I switched to the Win WLRM and started load development again for my 25-06. I expected that I would see pressure signs earlier because of the reputation of being hotter and hoped for a reasonable load with them. I found that the exact load of 54.1 grs of R22 was giving me .5 inch goups again. I also found with the WLRM I got to 56grs with no signs of pressure. I did not push further since my group grew to over 1.5 inches.

I am starting development for my 7, but am insterested to see how they compare.

Dont be detoured about going to the Win primers because they are hotter. Just start low and work up again. I am getting good results with them and it also makes you reloads look like factorys because of the brass color of the primers. It might help them get through airport security. :wink:

Back