22-250 Ackley Improved Advice

andrewctillman

Beginner
Feb 6, 2013
I inherited a 22-250 Ackley improved built by Frank Glenn in Arizona from my late father, who lived near Frank and got to be buddies.

This is a 26 inch medium/sporter weight stainless barrel, 1-14 twist, but I forget who made the barrel. McMillan stock. This dates back to the first nosler manual to have improved load data and Frank wrote up the review on it as I recall. Dont have that manual anymore. Early 1990's maybe? I loaded ammo for my dad, both in std case and improved, IMR 4320 was accuracy load with 55 grain nosler BT.

I will be using the rifle for daytime coyote hunting. Typical range 200 - 325 yards. Would you guys recommend 50 grain or 55 grain bullet for coyotes at this range? (A hay field).

the 50 HP and 55 grain BT have about same velocity at 300 yards. Any favorite recipes gladly accepted.

Second question is, I have quite alot of fire formed cases of factory wichester brass. Is this a case head separation waiting to happen (I fire formed my cases by seating bullet into riflling). I chronographed some and it lost less than 50 fps in improved case and was accurate for a 5 inch tall target but is it safe to use???

thanks for advice!

I don't have any answers for you, but it sounds like a cool rifle! At some point (probably after I fry a factory .22-250 barrel) I'd like to get a relatively fast twist barrel in .22.250AI.

Use the 55 grain bullets if the 14 twist barrel will stabilize them. I have a buddy that shoots the same chambering for p-dogs, but don't know what his load is. Start with a max load for the standard 22-250 (once fireforming is done) and work up with the powders that give 92-95% case fill.

You are using a proven method to fireform brass seating the bullet 5-10 thousandths into the lands. There shouldn't be any pressure issues if you use a middle of the road powder charge for the first firing. With the cases that are already formed, mic the head area and see if it is out of spec. It is fairly easy to see if the case is getting close to separating in this area.

Good luck

thanks, it handles the 55 grain nosler BT fine but not the 53 grain Vmax which is abit longer. Frank asked if my dad wanted a quick twist way back then but he was not a target shooter so stuck w std twist. The 80 grain Sierra was new back then and Frank was already building rifles for it. Wish my dad had gone that way. I would burn out the barrel at Horse Ridge instead of a few shots a year at yotes.

There is a slight ring on the std brass ahead of the case head where it appeared to stretch. Would you measure before and after full length resizing? And how much beyond maximum dimension would you tolerate?

IMO the best way to fireform improved cases is to neck them up to the next caliber up (in your case 6mm) and then back down just enough to where the bolt will close on them. There should be a very small bump where the neck shoulder junction is if they are AI cases. That will eliminate any case stretch from happening. Jamming bullets works too but I don't think it works as good.

I use the COW method of fire forming for all my AI cases now. It is a PITA, but it sure saves on barrel wear when you do 500 of them... :mrgreen:

G'Day Fella's,

Andrew C, I have basically the same rifle (26", 1in 14" twist in .22-250AI -40 Degree).

The only thing I can contribute to your situation, is don't trim new cases, until after fire forming.

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

I have fire formed alot of 300 h and h into 300 weatherby and 375 h and h into improved cases using Unique, a pistol primer and a case full of Argo corn starch held in place with a bullet of toilet paper. Weird but it worked. HArd to stuff the corn starch down a 30 caliber hole, so might be a chore with the 22-250. My friend the late Bill Steigers showed me how to do that many years ago. Never thought to try it w the 22-250 but think I will give it a try!

I do mine the same way IdahoCTD mentioned. Neck up, size the neck 3/4 of the way down(guess it's a false shoulder?) load mid range load and shoot em.
Although the COW method works well also.

Back