.22 cal Accubuond please

Murphdog

Beginner
Nov 28, 2005
While we are wishing what about a 22 cal. AccuBond say 55 or 60 grains. What a pelt hunters dream; Some day when when we get the wolves off the Endangerd Species List, a 55 grainer in the 223 WSSM, 220 Swift, 22-250 would be hard to beat in a calling situation.

Interesting indeed. Although we can not use a 224 cal for big game here in WY.

A .224 cal 55 gr AB would be a fantastic offering! I would be all over it to use in my 22-250 for song dogs.

JD338

I still dont understand why the need for a bonded bullet in a predator hunting situation especially for saving pelts? Most hunting for fur dont want an exit hole right? Well the bonded bullet is more prone to giving an exit hole and its not just the bullet that exits its what ever it hits on the way through.

Help me understand

That's what I was thinking - a bullet that goes in - comes apart inside the chest cavity and doesn't exit the hide is perfect for preserving the hide intact... Am thinking that with the bonded bullet, there's going to be an entrance and an exit.

it would be nice to have a 55 grain bullet that the guys with .222's and .223's could shoot deer with. Some of the premium .224 caliber bullets are pretty expensive.

nitis":r5yw33bd said:
I still dont understand why the need for a bonded bullet in a predator hunting situation especially for saving pelts? Most hunting for fur dont want an exit hole right? Well the bonded bullet is more prone to giving an exit hole and its not just the bullet that exits its what ever it hits on the way through.

Help me understand

I would like a bonded bullet because a small exit wound is better than blowing the back side out of a smaller predator. For example my 243 shoots great with the 75gr V-max at 3450fps. That bullet will not exit a solidly hit coyote, and will drop them in their tracks. The 2 times I used it on bobcat, it blew the entire backside out of the cat and destroyed the pelt. I love that performance on prairie dogs but not on a valuable cat pelt. Bullets that perform great on coyotes can be hard on smaller critters like bobcat and fox. I prefer a heavier bullet now that will exit, but will not overexpand. As I've stated before I love the accubonds because they open very fast giving lots of shock on a small animal but don't overexpand. I've not had trouble with large or multiple exit wounds from the bullets pushing bone fragments through the pelts. I've had good luck with 140gr accubonds from my 264,270,and 7mm's on all predators, but I'd prefer a smaller 6mm AccuBond for most situations.

I have a buddy who took 2 bobs last year with the 75 gr vmax from his 243 inside 100 yds with no exit

nitis":kfksccjj said:
I have a buddy who took 2 bobs last year with the 75 gr vmax from his 243 inside 100 yds with no exit

Maybe his bobcats were bigger bodied or his velocity was slower, it sure wrecked the ones I used it on. I will pass on a cat before shooting another one with that bullet in my area. I often carry a 223 or 22 mag now when I think cats may be possible, or use the bigger guns with accubonds.

I have a few boxes of Ultramax 223 ammo loaded with the 50gr ballistic tip that I sometimes shoot when calling. They shoot very well from my rifle and hit an inch lower than my usual reload. I couldn't figure out why they seemed to do so much less damage with the same bullet until I got a chronograph. They are only moving 2750fps from my barrel while my reload is 3175 with the same bullet.

79inpa":1lj1djk2 said:
it would be nice to have a 55 grain bullet that the guys with .222's and .223's could shoot deer with. Some of the premium .224 caliber bullets are pretty expensive.

+1 Would love to see a 55gr or 60gr to deer hunt with.

I don't care if I get an exit, I want a bullet that will hold together and penetrate if it hits a shoulder blade. That is why I would like a .224 cal AB.

JD338

Back