kawasaki Robb
Beginner
- Sep 30, 2026
- 5
- 0
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. On the 7th of this month I'm heading to Idaho for a pack in DIY Elk hunt. At first the area I was going to be in, was going to have mid-range to long range shots. 200 to 550 yards. But just found out, the shots are going to be MUCH shorter. 80 yards will be considered long, due to how thick the timber is. Anyways, I decided maybe an old school round nose in the 220 gr class might be cool to use. After doing some vetting and setting most of the bullet can't take the velocities my 300 win mag would be throwing them at. I came across an old thread that Guy Miner posted about the 220 partitions in his 06. I started thinking those would be awesome. I was able to pickup some factory seconds for a great price. Anyhow, picked 3 powders to try, IMR 4350, IMR4831 and decided to try RL26. I tried RL26 because I had a pound of it still. But I've never been able to get it to group. I loaded all three, no they are not sanctioned through Nosler or rokside or probably anybody else
. Yes they are warm. But I just got back from the range, to say my tikka likes those 220's is an understatement.
I made the mistake of firing 5 shots on the first group. The 4th and 5th shot the thin barrel was hot. But shots 1-3 measured .339" and .952 with all 5. The lower right is RL26 and left is IMR4831 all 3 shot groups. I cleaned the gun after each group. I wish I hadn't now, but after the first clean fauler shot. The 2nd and 3rd shots were touching. Either way I'm happy with the groups. And the fact the tikka likes those 220 partitions
I made the mistake of firing 5 shots on the first group. The 4th and 5th shot the thin barrel was hot. But shots 1-3 measured .339" and .952 with all 5. The lower right is RL26 and left is IMR4831 all 3 shot groups. I cleaned the gun after each group. I wish I hadn't now, but after the first clean fauler shot. The 2nd and 3rd shots were touching. Either way I'm happy with the groups. And the fact the tikka likes those 220 partitions



