.221 Fireball load data

mbmm

Beginner
Aug 18, 2007
Ok boys, I got the gun (CZ527....) got the dies....everything I need to get going...I have load data from Sierra but, I would like to know what the guys that shoot the gun and reload use. I have a friend that has bullets from 40grs up to 52grs. So tell me what you use.....primer, powder, bullet.
I have H4227 but will try what the concensus uses...(well maybe not but would like to hear it from the guys that shoot it) Thanks :grin:

My CZ 527 221 Fireball shoots just about everything well. I have tried quite a few powder/bullet combos and settled on 2400 with either 40gr Nosler BT or 40gr Vmax. They both shoot about the same. 2400 gives me excellent velocity and accuracy and my barrel stays much cooler than with other powders. Fast, accurate and cool, can't beat that.

CZ 527 221 Fireball, age 12, 100 yards 5 shot groups.
IMG_0360-1.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

RL-7, LIL Gun, 2400......Thanks fellas....got one box of factory ammo that I am going to chrony this week (50gr vmax) will wait until i gather more info before I make a powder/bullet choice. Thank you guys for the input!

CALIBER BULLET CHARGE CASE PRIMER ACCURACY VELOCITY RIFLE COMMENTS

221 FIREBALL 35 HORNADY BT 20/H4198 REM WSR * 3600 REM 700 CLASSIC
221 FIREBALL 40 HORNADY VMAX 18/H4198 REM WSR * 3140 REM 700 CLASSIC
221 FIREBALL 40 NBT 18.3/H4198 REM WSR * 3250 REM 700 CLASSIC
221 FIREBALL 40 NBT 18/H4198 REM WSR * 3230 REM 700 CLASSIC
221 FIREBALL 40 SIERRA BK 18/H4198 REM WSR * 3115 REM 700 CLASSIC

I don't post a lot on this forum but I will jump in on this thread.

I picked up my Fireball about a year and a half ago, Rem 700 Light Varmint Stainless Fluted, but changed out the synthetic stock for a Boyd's Thumbhole Laminate. The flimsy synthetic stock couldn't hold point of aim but the rigid stock is great. It adds some weight but well worth the trade off.

Back on topic, I had the same questions but didn't get a lot of help. What I found is this:

RL #7, IMR 4198, and LilGun powders all work well with Nosler 40 grain and 50 grain Ballistic Tip bullets. The Sierra BlitzKing 40 and 50 grain bullets are great too but I can buy Noslers in the bulk pack.

I worked with lots of different primers too, the only one I didn't like was the Federal 205 because accuracy suffered. CCI BR4, Rem 7 1/2, CCI 400 are my choices in that order.

The load I settled on as my go-to load for the Fireball uses RL7 powder and Rem 7 1/2 primers (7 1/2 is the primer most readily available to me so I thought I should have a good load for it) and the 40 grain Ballistic Tip bullet. RL7 is the most consistent (accurate) powder with 4198 a close second. The school is still out on my LilGun load. I see potential but - I ain't there yet. I like things simple so I use a 1.3cc Lee Dipper Cup to measure powder. It is right around 19 grains.

Both 50 grain bullets work well in the Fireball and they aren't quite as subject to wind drift but the 40 grain bullet is faster and it has performed tremendously on everything I have shot. Crows hate them!

IMR 4198 is the classic powder for this cartridge and it works as well now as it did 15 years ago. Since then RE7 has proven to be an exceptional powder for accuracy and velocity. My accuracy load shoots a 40gr bullet @ 3,200 ft/sec.

Three years ago I experimented with Lil'Gun in the 221 with the 40 gr bullets. Velocity gains are almost unbelievable. I shoot a 40gr BT (moly) bullet @ 3,600 ft/sec from my 21" Hart bbl. Accuracy is about .5moa @ 200 yds.

The load is a bit warm in my rifle but velocities of 3,400-3,500 ft/sec should be obtainable without much trouble in any rifle. Lil'Gun is very cost effective with typical charges being only about 16 grains.

Charlie - NY

I take it from your moniker you are a New Yorker. Where abouts? I'm in Owego (not Oswego) in the Southern Tier, two thirds across PA and 16 miles over the PA/NY border. I frequent the Tioga County Shooters Association range.

Flash hole/Charlie:

Thanks so much for responding....I plan on useing this for pdogs in SD. I have a box of factory loads (50 grs) that I have yet to shoot, thanks to global warming.....Had 3" of snow Saturday....wind......Not my idea of an ideal time...So I am leaning towards the RE-7....not sure on the bullet....I will be taking a 17HMR for the inside stuff, and a 243 for the outside..221 FB for the middle..If I sound stupid it may be that I am as I have Never gone PDog shooting..Guess I am a old newbie! :grin:

flashhole":1u0enb9z said:
Charlie - NY

I take it from your moniker you are a New Yorker. Where abouts? I'm in Owego (not Oswego) in the Southern Tier, two thirds across PA and 16 miles over the PA/NY border. I frequent the Tioga County Shooters Association range.

I am what you guys call a "flat lander". I live in the center of Long Island. It's a long ride for me to hunt almost anything other than whitetails with the bow. I travel to PA every week to hunt varmints.

mbmm":3k5flpg0 said:
Flash hole/Charlie:

Thanks so much for responding....I plan on useing this for pdogs in SD. I have a box of factory loads (50 grs) that I have yet to shoot, thanks to global warming.....Had 3" of snow Saturday....wind......Not my idea of an ideal time...So I am leaning towards the RE-7....not sure on the bullet....I will be taking a 17HMR for the inside stuff, and a 243 for the outside..221 FB for the middle..If I sound stupid it may be that I am as I have Never gone PDog shooting..Guess I am a old newbie! :grin:

I took my .221FB out to Casper Wyoming and had no problem splatting PDs at 300 yds. You will need very calm winds (none) to get any use out of the 17HMR. I love mine but its use is limited.

I got 400 cases, 1000 win primers, a pound of H4198, 100 sierra 50gr blitz bullets for a start....prepping the cases now and will work up loads.I am sure the bullet will change but at least this is a start...thanks again for the advise and interest :) ....I could not get the Rem 7 1/2 primers..

F.H.,
I got everything...I got rounds loaded but have not had one darn day to get er done.....wind, rain, work......but I will post results soon... :grin:

I know how that goes. I got a new gun over a month ago and just got the scope mounted last night and bore sighted it this afternoon. I also loaded up 20 rounds to take to the range and dial it in. Now I just have to get to the range and dial it in, probably this weekend.

Yup! that's my story...I got the gun/scope ...rounds...100yrd range at my home...things are never good to get out there to shoot....But on the the plus side the odds are in my favor so, I should have a range report soon. :)

I finally got to shoot today...I am disappointed to say the least. I get 1.5 inch groups with the factory ammo as well as handloads using 4198 from 17 up to 18.2 grains. Did not seem to matter. I did smoke a crow at 107 yards but I need to get these groups down.... :(

I was at the range today myself. I took my new 223 and my Fireball.

It was dead calm and about 50 degrees. My Fireball load was 1.3cc Lee Dipper Cup (right at 19 grains) of IMR 4198, Remington 7 1/2 BR primer, Sierra 40 grain BlitzKing bullets. The brass was FL sized (it's the only sizing die I have) and bullets were seated to within .010" from the lands. I was printing one hole groups at 200 yards.

This photo was about two weeks ago, same load as above only with Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets, it was really windy that day. The photo should be rotated 90 degres right for the same orientation it was at the range. The cluster of shots should be to the left of center. The wind was intermittent and quite blustery. The target was set at 150 yards.

10shotstwo.jpg

A question - I only get good groups when I snug the gun up tighly to my shoulder and hold the forearm of the gun with slight downward pressure onto the rest. This prevents muzzle jump and if all goes well I touch off the shot when the cross hairs are where I intend them to be. Is it possible you are relying on your rest to secure the front end of your gun? Even the Fireball will jump quite a bit when fired.

Back