223/5.56 military primer crimp removal

Newysan

Beginner
Jan 4, 2009
Greetings After the great response on the Lee factory crimp die I thought I would gather some info on crimp removal. Due to the current ammo panic created by you know who, my stash of brass is down to the jug filled with LC nato used brass. As I search through various merchants catalogs I find all kinds of gadgets none of which have gathered a great deal of support from the reloading fraternity comments. All sorts of methods with nothing being the odds on favorite. The only way I can shoot as much as I like is to reload. There is no clear winner [that I can find] so far in this dept. So please share your experiences, good and bad, before I spend money on this facet. In advance thank you very much. Newysan

I use the RCBS swager, and have not had any problems in the 2-300 pieces of LC brass I've done. Just a one simple down-up on a single press, and a little extra pressure on the up stroke to pop the brass loose from the swaging nipple. Easy peasy

P.s. for what it's worth... LC brass treated this way gave me my best ever 5 shot group.

There are lots of ways that work, no doubt about it. My son and I use a LOT of fired military brass in 5.56 and in .30-06. In my opinion, this tool, while expensive, is the best way to go. It is fast, does an excellent job, and is easy to use. Having gone with less expensive in the past only to upgrade later, this was one purchase I decided to do right the first time.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/ ... _Swage_600

Super_Swage_600_m.jpg

In operation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GnhSS-d7PM

Thanks for sending the video. Looks like another great product from Dillon. And as a bonus the color matches every thing else in the room. One more problem solved. Newysan

JC,

Thanks for the post. Welcome aboard. We're always glad to see more contributing to the knowledge base.

I have used a half dozen different swagger/cutters and the hands down best is the Dillon super swager. I adjust it deep and use "feel" when swaging. This way I have no need to sort brass. Never had any problems and it has done well on over 10,000 cases.

Dillon!!! It comes with the small primer and large primer swag's.

There are video's and how to's on the interwebz to make it more automated.

I prefer swagging over reaming the crimp out.

Back