.22lr with a can for squirrels?

widgeon

Handloader
Feb 19, 2011
Happened to check out a small, local gun shop last week. I was surprised to see a few suppressors for sale and the guys working there were all about a "silenced" squirrel rifle. It would be really cool, but does it really make much of a difference? Not that I'm a big squirrel hunter, but the cool factor of the outfit has got me interested.

That all depends on what type of squirrels you are talking about.

If you are shooting tree squirrels to eat, yeah, a supressed gun might give you an edge.

If you are shooting ground squirrels just for fun, get over it, they are not that smart. I once knew a guy who was shooting ground squirrels with 22 shorts because of the noise factor. He agreed to take me with him and I shot just as many using 22 LR ammo. Next time I talked him into my bringing my 22-250, heck, he had to have one! Those were the days, that place had LOTS of squirrels, but things change.

Great way too hunt if you use subsonic ammo. No earplugs needed and makes it especially fun for kids.

The idea was hunting tree squirrels.
I'm putting it down on my list of things to consider.

My favorite target are the Tounsend Ground Squirrel (picket pin) because they are stupid and plentiful in some years. I once shot a couple of hundred rounds from my 10/22 from the front seat of the truck, without moving. Western Idaho and Eastern Oregon has thousands of them. A long drive nowdays at $4.00 a gallon for gas.

If you can can.... you should. If you cannot can.... then you should can the whole idea and shoot a good subsonic load for squirrel patrol.

Sounds cool.

I have hunted tree squirrels with a shot gun in the past. The noise didn't bother them too bad, it was the movement made getting to a good spot.

JD338

I like the Winchester 30 grain .22WMR for squirrels. After killing a few hundred, it does not seem to matter what you use as much as how much they have been disturbed. We have been invaded by a non-native, black fox squirrel from Canada. They are very aggressive and have pretty much replaced the local greys.

The black squirrels around my place are pretty paranoid about seeing me which really helps to use the .22WMR because at 50+ yards, they will show enough head to assure certain and rapid death. Closer, they seem to feel and act pretty twitchy!

We have been invaded by a non-native, black fox squirrel from Canada.

I would have thought that Homeland Security would have kept them out!

Last week I went back to the store to chat with the guys and get the reall low-down on this set up. One of the guys Grabbed his Savage fv-sr ( .22 lr with a threaded barrel) from the back and proceeded to load a few Rem. sub-sonic rounds in the mag and asked me to join him for a few shots behind the store. He then screwed his can on the end and fired a few shots in to a ditch. It was pretty amazing. The sounds of the mechanism and bullet impact were all I could hear. " Click--- thud". He then asked me if I wanted to try a few. :mrgreen:

The can they recommended had a price tag of about $350. To that, you add a $200 fee to get the license and stamp to own it, which takes about 6 months to get.

widgeon":ykdux1v7 said:
Last week I went back to the store to chat with the guys and get the reall low-down on this set up. One of the guys Grabbed his Savage fv-sr ( .22 lr with a threaded barrel) from the back and proceeded to load a few Rem. sub-sonic rounds in the mag and asked me to join him for a few shots behind the store. He then screwed his can on the end and fired a few shots in to a ditch. It was pretty amazing. The sounds of the mechanism and bullet impact were all I could hear. " Click--- thud". He then asked me if I wanted to try a few. :mrgreen:

The can they recommended had a price tag of about $350. To that, you add a $200 fee to get the license and stamp to own it, which takes about 6 months to get.

Thats the low down in a nutshell. ATF is backlogged a good 6 months if not longer right now. What suppressor did they recommend? Yankee Hill makes a good one for the 22lr for about that price.

DrMike":2nbpmbjq said:
We have been invaded by a non-native, black fox squirrel from Canada.

I would have thought that Homeland Security would have kept them out!

Being black, they cross no man's land (the Zero Avienue ditch) at midnight with little night vision harnesses. You can see the little green lights running across "Smuggler's Inn" lawn at 2 AM.

...bad enough everyone's talking about the "Right to Arm Bears", & I've seen the pic of the pdawg w/ a bazooka & the video of the chimp w/ the AK. Squirrels are sneaky enough as is, giving them silenced .22's would be a "Big Mistake"!!!

wildgene":qnx1u1z0 said:
...bad enough everyone's talking about the "Right to Arm Bears", & I've seen the pic of the pdawg w/ a bazooka & the video of the chimp w/ the AK. Squirrels are sneaky enough as is, giving them silenced .22's would be a "Big Mistake"!!!

HA! That would be the end!

What's worse, Gene, these are Canajun squirrels--the most ferocious, the most wicked, the most aggressive of all squirrels. Armed, they would be unstoppable. No wonder Homeland Security refuses to interdict their entry.

...looks suspiciously "Canadien" to me...

Secret_Squirrel.jpg

Obviously, he has dyed his fur. He should be a blackie. I agree that he does look Canajun. Sneaky rascals, those Canajun squirrels. How did you manage to sneak up on him to get the picture?

Back