.243 90gr E Tip Strikes Down California Coyote

Colin

Beginner
Nov 28, 2007
Let me start by saying that the E-Tip is not my first choice, as I've used Partitions, Ballistic Tips and Accubonds in my calibers with much success and easier loading (less picky about OAL). But I live in California. However, the E-tip has never failed me.

I was shooting my .243 this day.

Myself, my buddy and his 5 year old son set up with my electronic caller. About 5 minutes into the call, a coyote popped up about 20 yards to my right. From the angle I thought my buddy had the shot and I waited. I kissed and the coyote turned, ran a few steps, stopped and took a few steps closer. I realized that my buddy was at an angle that he couldn't see it and it would be really tough for me to make the turn to get on him. I kissed again, he turned ran a few steps then stopped facing me. this happened once more and I figured "It's now or never" I struggled to make the turn (bipod getting caught on everything God created). I made the turn got on him (at about 40 yards) and fired while he was facing me.

Next, I saw his front feet flip over his head and he didn't move. The bullet entered just in front of his onside shoulder and exited behind the offside shoulder. There were 2 big spots of bright red lung blood on the ground and all over his offside. The exit hole (after skinning) was about the size of a nickel, showing good expansion.

This is the first animal I've shot with the .243 E-Tip. I've killed a hog with the .30 caliber 180gr E-tip and my buddy has killed 1 coyote and 1 bobcat with the 7mm E-tip. I witnessed the coyote, but was not with him on the bobcat.

Colin

Nicely done! Congratulations on your coyote and the field report on the .243 cal 90 gr E-Tip.

JD338

Colin,
Thanks for the report. I've been dragging my feet on the (NON LEAD) issue but I live in California so I've been listening and watching. I guess it's time to try one out. I wish they had a 8mm E-Tip.
Congrats and good hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

Greg, Like I said in my post the E-Tip is not my first choice. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a Nosler guy. Myself, with the 180gr .30 cal. E-Tip in the .300 Win Mag., the 90gr .243 E-Tip and my buddy with the 150gr 7mm E-Tip in both his 7mm-08 and 7mm Mag all had the same results. Two shots close together and the third a couple of inches away. I realize that it has to do with the OAL. I really like the ease of loading Ballistic Tips and Accubonds. Throw powder in the case, seat the bullet and shoot little tiny groups. In a previous post, Pop uploaded some photos of two expanded E-Tips from my .300 Win Mag I pulled out of the hog I killed. They look beatiful!!! So I guess I'll mess with the OAL and fine tune them, but I really miss my Ballistic Tips and Accubonds!!!!!

Back