243 or 6mm Accubond experiences

10gaugemag

Beginner
Jan 18, 2016
Anybody on here have actual real life on game performance experience with any of the 243/6mm cartridges on deer sized game?

Getting some to try and work up a load in my 22" barreled 6mm Rem.

Let me know your thoughts.

I worked up a load for my daughters .243 with the AccuBond. It's only doing 2800 fps but she can put three shots into one ragged hole at 100 yards off the bench. She shot a buck Antelope at 190 yards facing her, it dropped in its tracks and didn't even twitch. A couple hours later she shot a doe Antelope. It required two shots but only because the angle of the first one caused her to hit a little bit back of where she aimed. Still a dead critter. I was pretty impressed with that little bullet.

It’s what I load for my brother. I use a bunch of RL26 and it rips out at 3300’ish from his rifle. I always ask for pictures of entry/exits and recovered Bullets but out of 5 deer taken so far nothing has stayed in a deer. My brother also runs a 257 Wby with 120 Partitions and has shot quite a few bucks with it, he has said a few times how his 243 seems to smack deer down faster than his Wby. Probably a case of the AccuBond expanding pretty wide compared to the Partition. Long story short, it’s a great Bullet. Pretty tough as well.

In the 6mm for deer, I've shot a few with the 90 or 95 BT. They don't go far if at all. Shot quite a few with the 100 PT a few years ago in the 6mm Rem also. The 6 mm Rem is a lightning bolt on deer.

Haven't used the AccuBond, but the 95 grain Ballistic Tip has done a wonderful job for my son and I on mule deer & whitetail.

He's got a 22" Rem 700 6mm Remington. I load it to about 3,000 fps via RL-22. It's pretty whiz-bang at deer killing.

Never felt a need to use the AccuBond, we get such great performance from the Ballistic Tip.

Guy

I've used the AccuBond in my 30-06 and my son's 300 WSM with great results. I have not used it in either of our 6mm's on game as of yet but I do have complete confidence in it in the 6mm on deer and antelope, or even elk. I've shot Partitions, Accubonds, and E-tips into water jugs from 25-100-200-300-400-500 yards. Each of these different bullets has performed very well. I think with the hick-up from photobucket if you go to the bullet testing section my pictures of velocity, weight retention, expansion, and penetration of these bullets is no longer visible. That being said they all did very well.

I ran some 90 gr. E-tips at about 3200 fps into water jugs at 25 yards and out and they flat out held together and penetrated very well. I have used 100 gr. Partitions in my 6mm Remington for years and it's a coyote, deer, and antelope killing machine. I've also taken one elk with that bullet at 30 yards. Broke his right shoulder and exited out in front of his left shoulder on the off-side. He staggered a few steps and I shot him once more in the neck, but he was done on his feet. I just didn't want him going anyplace.

MY son has used the 90 gr. E-tip in his 6mm Remington at close to 3200 fps on antelope, deer, and his first cow elk which was a big old girl. One shot at 350 yards right behind her right shoulder. The bullet exited her left shoulder and she went about 20 yards and fell over dead. Great performance.

If that rifle likes them it will serve you well. Both IMR4350 and H4350 would be good powders to try to start out with. Best of luck.

bunch of antelope with the 243 and 240 WBY at 3500 fps. Never recovered a single bullet

My cooper model 22 6mm Remington with a 24” 1 in 10 twist barrel will NOT shoot the 90 gr AccuBond. This was the bullet i wanted it to shoot the most, but I’ve tried everything with no luck. In fact, the only thing it will shoot is the Sierra 85 gr BTHP. It shoots them in 1 ragged hole, but won’t shoot anything else. Very frustrating!

deltahunter":2gyko0d8 said:
My cooper model 22 6mm Remington with a 24” 1 in 10 twist barrel will NOT shoot the 90 gr AccuBond. This was the bullet i wanted it to shoot the most, but I’ve tried everything with no luck. In fact, the only thing it will shoot is the Sierra 85 gr BTHP. It shoots them in 1 ragged hole, but won’t shoot anything else. Very frustrating!

Welcome aboard buddy.

If you can, try seating that bullet short. It likes to have a good jump into the lands.

I've used that 85gr Sierra quite a bit and found it easy to make shoot in lots of rifles. I also seem to get speed and accuracy from it easier than the 87-90gr polymer tipped bullets for some reason. It's not the highest BC or flashiest bullet but it seems to kill the heck out of things. It usually doesn't put to big an exit hole in a coyote and handles deer fine too. My current 243 is a custom built with a 23" Pac Nor #4 fluted barrel and it puts them in the same hole at 100yds at an average of 3282fps. I took a doe with it recently at 276yds and it broke a rib on the entrance and on the almost exit. The hide stopped the bullet when it fragmented on the 2nd rib it hit, but barely. The doe made it about 40yds from where she was first hit.

I have taken a couple of whitetails with the 90 gr AB out to about 275 yards. Found a good load with IMR4350 that is sub-.5" consistently from a Wby Vanguard S2 running at 3200 fps. Used it at a friends place and shot a 4-shot group about 1 3/4" wide by 1" tall at 500 yards.
I've never caught one in an animal. I did catch one shooting into water jugs though.

JpfWLXY.jpg

fQc5Qet.jpg

Note the penetration of a 3/8" thick piece of AR500 steel at the 500 yard mark.

Back