.243 Win Loads

TScottW99

Handloader
Sep 14, 2007
O.K. guys. I'm about to go at it again. Love working up loads, it has become quiet addicting :lol:

I bought my wife a synthetic Handi-Rifle in .243Win and Leupold VX 1 2-7X33 scope. Now I need to get some supplies to work up some loads.

I plan on getting some Nosler seconds brass when it becomes available. I just need to figure out powders and bullets. I have never loaded the .243win so any help will be greatly appreciated.

For bullets I was thinking about trying... 100grain Solid Base, 95 grain Ballistic Tip and 90 grain Ballistic Tip. I was hoping to find a good load in the 90 -100 grain weight for whitetail deer.

Thanks Again!!!!!!!

My load for the 243 Win with 100 gr PT was 41.5 grs IMR4350, R-P case and a CCI 200 primer. This is a MAX load so work up slowly. Accuracy was well under MOA in a M70 XTR.

JD338

My son's Ruger compact (16" barrel) likes 41 grains of 4831 with both a 95 PT and the Speer 100 gr BTSP, CCI magnum primers.

My best load was 41gr IMR 4350, 95gr Bal Tip, and CCI Mag primers. Excelent groups for two different Remington model 700 guns.

Corrected by moderator--POP

A Ruger KM77RFP MKII in .223 I recently had just absolutely loved 95gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips loaded with 42.5grs. H-4350 in Remington Brass with Winchester Primers. I only wish my varmint loads would have shot as good in that rifle as the 95's did. 3 shot < 1/2" 100 yard groups were quite common.

Muzzle velocity was 3071 FPS, and I managed to take 5 Whitetails with this load. All were one shot kills and I never did recover a bullet as all were pass throughs.

Larry

44-48 gr of IMR 7828 with a 95-100 gr slugs. Work up slow!

Thanks again guys!! Will hopefully be working up some loads come late winter early spring for her rifle.

MDP":vna9m7i6 said:
My best load was 41gr of Varget, 95 gr Bal. Tip and cci Mag primers. Excelent groups for two different Remington model 700 guns.

Hogdon website is showing the max powder as 35 grains of Varget at 2996 FPS. This is for a 95 grain Partition, but wanted to verify your load as I'm looking to work up a load for 95 grain BT's.

Correction to the load that I posted. It was 41gr IMR 4350, 95gr Bal Tip, and CCI Mag primers.

Maybe you should go back up and edit that post, so as not to mislead anyone into blowing up their gun, MDP. Thanks for the clarification, as I am currently playing with a .243 and was thinking about trying Varget. Has anybody used Varget with heavier (90-100gr) bullets in the .243? What kind of results do you get?

Sorry DUBYAM new to the post and not sure how to edit a message allready posted. Thanks POP for the edit. Can you guys let me know how to do an edit on an existing post? Thanks, MDP

No problem, MDP, just glad it got fixed. POP pretty well covered it - there's an "edit" button for your own posts when you view the thread.

Back