.243Win with 100gr Partition?

jeffk

Beginner
May 1, 2006
Does anyone have any load data for this bullet with Hodgdon H4350? If not, what are some good powders to start with (Anything exzcept IMR, as you can't get that in the UK)?

Also, with the .243, when woudl you choose the Partition over a standard SP design, and what are the thoughts between 90, 95 and 100gr Partitions - would you notice much difference?
Thanks.

With the 100 grainer, consider using Hodgdon's starting load of 37 grains of H4350, and working up towards their max of 40 grains.

I don't see a need to go with the Partition bullet unless you're pushing the .243 by using it on larger animals than normal - say big, heavily muscled deer, wild boar or something else that requires a great deal of penetration. That said, the 100 grain Nosler does shoot well. The 85 grainer is an interesting alternative, it's not unreasonable to exceed 3200 fps, or possibly even 3300 fps with max loads and a good barrel. Not sure there's going to be all that much difference in on-game performance between the various .243" Nosler Partition bullets. All should do well.

I really like Nosler's 95 grain Ballistic Tip bullet for deer. It is very accurate in many different rifles. A .243 can zip one out at over 3000 fps with published loads. Performance on deer is generally quite good. For example, my youngest son shot a good size mule deer doe at 275 yards with the 95 grainer. The bullet destroyed a lung, tore up the heart and exited, smashing the off-side fore-leg on the way out. Needless to say, results were immediate, and lethal. He was shooting a handloaded 6mm Remington, but it's close to the same muzzle velocity as the .243 Win.

For varmints, the 75 grain hollowpoint bullets or the light weight Nosler ballistic tip bullets work great!

Regards, Guy

Try about 48-49 gr MRP2 (reloader 25)

Should bust 3100 fps easy nad great accuracy.

jeffk, I have been loading a 100gr (different manufacturer unfortunately) with 40.5 of H4350. I consistently get sub moa at 100yds. I will be switching to the Nosler either 100 Partition or 85 grn.
My daughter took her first deer last fall at 160yds. Angling away shot she took out part of the liver and lower lungs. The bullet didn't exit*(&%&$*(*&&*^)*(&.

Ive used the 100gr part's in the 243 with good results. Only with IMR stuff though.

My older Savage 110 with a 1 in 10" twist doesn't do all that well with most 100gr. bullets. Yet, it shoots the Hornady 95gr. SST very nicely, around .7" (5 at 100yds.). I keep thinking it's due to bullet length, and not the weight, but I'm not certain yet. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

I use 42-IMR-4350 with the 100-NP in my minty P-64 FWT and get .6" @ 100M with velocities just over 3000fps @ the muzzle. This is in WW brass with CCI-250s and is the Nosler book "max". WORK UP CAREFULLY to this with H-4350 as it is NOT "slower" in my rifles that I have tried it in so far; I consider this a maximum load and would only use it for meat deer under 200 yds, here in British Columbia.

The .243 has a reputation for "blow-ups" and slow powders seem to aggravate this, I prefer the H-4350 and a slight compression with all loads. If, I got another 6mm, it would be the 6mm Rem., but, I got a "steal" on this rifle and so I shoot it.

Any 22" bbl'd rifle with 100-NPs that gives from 2950-3050 is doing a safe MAX, IMO, no point in trying to make a "screamer" out of it .....and suffering the consequences......

Bummer about no IMR powders 7828 works well in both of the .243s I have owned. I use the partisions in all of my big game loads. The 100 grain bullet is extremly leathal on deer, antilope, and coyotes. At 300 yards it will break both shoulders and exit a mature mule deer buck. Death appears to be instantly and I have repeated it numerous times. You my want to look into the RL 22.

Good hunting

Back