25-06 Ackley Imp?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
With a 26" tube what are the velocity gains? any real word experience? Thanx in advance!

Not too much improvement, 3400-3450 with 100 grain BTs are the expected maximum velocities. About 100fps shy of the Weatherby.

Brad

POP, I have a 25-06 AI with a 24 inch barrel. I use RL-22 at 58 grains over a Barnes TSX 100 grain bullet and get 3565 fps. I use Big Stick's method of fireforming brass using 280 Rem and creating a false shoulder. No offense, but you think your AccuBond rocks, I shoot them in another one of my rifles, but there is no doubt the TSX is the real deal. More velosity, and retains the maximum amount of bullet weight. Heaven's forbid, you will pay more for the TSX, but you will get a premier bullet in return. I view Accubonds as good deer bullets.

If you can get them barnes slugs to shoot well enough for ya, more power to ya'. Ive tried several, yuck accuracy... seen elk shot with them-three 7mm holes punched through the vitals..... I think a bullet needs to shed some weight to provide killing shock. We did recover one x bullet, didnt open up. But the nose bent a little, does that count?

The new TSX opens up alot better than the older X bullets....I hated the older X bullets also. As for poop stinking, I shoot more Nosler's than others so you arent effecting me at all. Just because this is Nosler's forum doesnt mean you cant speak to other bullets. In fact, Nosler likes it, because they get to learn how us reloaders, etc feel about everyone's bullets. I am reluctantly looking at the TSX, but the fact is, everyone I have spoken to about them are very impressed with them verses the older X bullet, in several areas. Bullet fouls a whole bunch less than the older X bullet, can be loaded to faster velosity, and it opens up well upon hitting game. As for the AccuBond, Nosler needs to get with it in the smaller calibers, til then, I load others bullets, and the Partition.

While you are throwing your stink on for size, try this on: Nosler was "Forced" to make an AccuBond because of the far too often story of their Ballistic Tip blowing up on animals and not giving a pass thru, or the pass true was the size of a soccer. So dont get in a big tissy thinking they did you a favor, they did themselves a favor verses competition. That's what it really is all about. Who wins, we do............. :shock:

to me, accuracy comes first, followed closely by terminal performance.
Fouling and velocity are far down the list, which is why I prefer noslers over any other.

Maybe it could take ten TSX's to leave the same amount of copper as an AB...... but it would also take at least that many to hit the target!

Sorry to sound sour, but I have never seen an Xbullet shoot consitently.

Pop,

You should consider a 257 STW! :wink:

JD338

Naw! Got enough mags. Time for something standard

POP":1kq0d41r said:
Naw! Got enough mags. Time for something standard

How about a classic, 257 Roberts. :wink:

Actually, the 25-06AI would be a sweetheart. And you can always fall back on factory loads too. I have a 280 AI and I am having some fun with it.

JD338

JD.

I bought a Rem 700 SPS Stainless in 25-06. I do not know if I will go the AI path yet. We will see. I just needed something with "Normal" case capacity for a change.

For big game I have the 416 WBY and the SAKO Twins --SS 75's in 7 and 300 Rummies. My fillings are starting to get loose! :mrgreen:

POP":15bar38x said:
JD.

I just needed something with "Normal" case capacity for a change.

My fillings are starting to get loose! :mrgreen:

I share your pain. :lol:

JD338

POP":16p2qe8m said:
With a 26" tube what are the velocity gains? any real word experience? Thanx in advance!

Pop, I had Kirby Allen re-chamber my Sendero to the AI version last summer along with a skim bed, re-crown, Holland Lug, true rec., etc.
I suspect the vel. increase would be 125FPS. with the 100 gr. & about 175
or so with the 120. I am not sure because I started using the 125 Wildcat bullet when I got it back & I had not used those in the std. version. With this long & heavy bullet I am getting 3,250FPS with 1/4"-3/8" groups consistantly, I doubt that a std. would do much better than 3,050 with a 125. I used this bullet last fall in WY. on Deer & Antelope with great effect.
I may play with the 100Nos BT soon & I figure I can get 3,550, close enough to the Wea. to not mess with one of those. If I wanted more than this, I would go to the STW or the 25-300WM, which I hear does allmost as good as the 257STW with less powder, looks good in rerloader's nest.

Back