25-06 and 90gr. Sierra HPBT.

jr1968

Beginner
May 20, 2007
Has any one used this bullet on WT deer? If so what are your opinions?

Thanks,
jr1968.

I used to use these at 3400 fps on coyotes and such in Eastern Oregon but never tried them on deer. Like anything else it is all about shot placement. To me these seem a bit on the fragile side but will probably get the job done.

Good luck -

Dale

...not bad for the smaller cases like .250-3000, probably not a tough enough jacket when pushed @ .25-06 velocities. The 120gr. would probably be a better choice, I've been very happy w/ their performance, & they'll carry more velocity & energy @ 400yds w/ only about an inch more drop...

1Shot":1tx1waff said:
Get you some 117 Sierra's and never look back.

I'll second that one, simple pain jane flat based bullet, it's worked well for me. Not "sexy" enough for some, I suppose, it just works.

wildgene":35o53s73 said:
...not bad for the smaller cases like .250-3000, probably not a tough enough jacket when pushed @ .25-06 velocities. The 120gr. would probably be a better choice, I've been very happy w/ their performance, & they'll carry more velocity & energy @ 400yds w/ only about an inch more drop...

A 110 AccuBond has always interested me. In a 25-06 that should be impressive. A 120 BT has a reputation as a deer thumper. Through the ribs I am guessing that 90 Gr Sierra bullet would give you explosive results. Inside a 100yds on a shoulder My thought is you'd be happier with something a little heavier. That is all conjecture on my part.

Now for me and my 250-3000 the 90Gr Sierra is interesting. Fortunately, the 100 Gr BT and a 75 Gr Hornady V-max. Do everything the 250 does so well. Ive had a 100 Gr BT break a near side leg/ shoulder of an antelope and punch out the lungs on the far side, at 264 yards... pretty slow by then. Tough enough bullet, no doubt but my MV is just under 2900 FPS. Sorry to high jack your thread,,, I don't get to "Crow" for the 250 too often. CL

Can't comment about 90gn bullets, but can assure that 110gn AB @ approx. 3120fps is just excellent. For a much plainer bullet, the Sierra Prohunter 1620 100 gn.. excellent choice for hinds/doe and smaller bucks/stags.
Good luck. ET

If the bullets are the 90 grain Game Kings. They work find on southern whitetails, but our deer are not as big as yours up there. My Father in law as killed a bunch of deer with them, I loaded them with 54 grains of IMR 4831 and a WLR primer in Winchester Brass. I never shot them when I had 25-06, I used 100 and 115 Ballistic Tips. Hope this helps.
BuddyT

Thank you for all your help. I had heard that it is a good deer bullet and others say
It's a varmint bullet.

That is why I was asking, because our deer range anymore from 100- 150 pounds
and my 25-06 is a 22 in. XL-7 marlin. I wasn't sure how much velocity I would
loose being a shorter barrel 25-06.

Thanks,
jr1968

Give the 100 gr BT a try. It is perfect for deer sized game and it kills like lighting.

JD338

JD338":1phn0k2v said:
Give the 100 gr BT a try. It is perfect for deer sized game and it kills like lighting.

JD338

Or the 115 at 3150! Tough and will break bones!

My rifle barrel on .25-06 is 22" & a 100gn bullet can easily be driven at 3300fps from it. The 100gn BT is an excellent bullet....

I just chose to use the Sierra 100gn Prohunter as it's much much cheaper than the Nosler BT in the UK.
The 110gn AB is my choice for big stags though and I don't now shirk at the cost of this performer.

You should get perfectly good clean killing MV's from your 22" barrel.

I've only shot 115 gr Partitions and 100 gr TTSX. Neither grouped well in my gun. I have some 110 gr AccuBonds to try next.
I haven't killed anything but paper with my 25-06.

I plan on loading some in my 257 Roberts that I'm getting sorted for next year. I don't have any qualms about them on NorVa deer where I shoot them. Probably should just call Sierra and see what they say. Kind of like asking for directions though I guess... :roll:

I never hesitate to call or email the bullet techs at Sierra. They are great to deal with, straight forward, and don't treat any questions about reloading or their bullets as if it's a dumb question. If you email them, you often get a response within hours or the next day. If Sierra made bonded bullets, I don't know if I'd load anything else.

Here's a couple things to consider before picking a bullet for any the fast stepping 25:
What distance am I mostly like to be shooting.
And how much deer is that bullet going to have to travel thru to get into the heart/lungs
I started with the 100gr sierra pro hunter, from what I've read one of the more stoutly built 100gr bullets, well it would pretty much detonate on contact at 50-70 yds, no exit even on broadside hits in the pocket and they run a bit with no blood trail, from 100-200yds works great..
Next up a Barnes 100gr TSX. Hard quartering away 70yds, entered the last rib, lodged 1/2 way up his neck picture perfect mushroom , but made a complete mess of the barrel of the rifle..
On to the honaday 117 SST (Flat base). 2 shot with this bullet, 1 broadside base of the neck DRT, but the bullet didn't exit, jacket and what was left of the lead was dime size just under the skin on the off size: #2 80yds hard quartering away hit mid ribs bullet lodged in the neck DRT. Bullet looked like the one above' could never get them to shoot real well tho.
And on the bullet that I still use today 100gr Nosler Partition, this one seems to do it all, trama and a exit hole, if it does have a fault its loosing its front half inside 100yards way to soon, played with the BTs a bit but never shot a animal with them in the 25, and never cared for there performance on deer in the 7mag.
Sierra list that 90gr as a " Long Range" deer bullet I'm betting inside 100yards it'll detonate wore than the proHunter.. just my 2cents is all

Thank You Yoda.

Your experiences have helped , next season I thought about the Partition or the 115Bt.

I hit a doe with the Sierra 100 gr PH. I thought I had a good hit, she bleed good but stopped
and I tracked her a long ways but couldn't find her. She donkey kicked a the shot,
so I figured she was hit solid.

Thanks,
jr1968

Yoda":2irbkcze said:
I started with the 100gr sierra pro hunter, from what I've read one of the more stoutly built 100gr bullets, well it would pretty much detonate on contact at 50-70 yds, no exit even on broadside hits in the pocket and they run a bit with no blood trail, from 100-200yds works great..

Hi Yoda, I'll attach some pics, but my findings on Scottish Highland red deer hinds and stags using the Sierra ProHunter 100gn 1620 bullet very different.
Almost always the bullet exits and I've only rarely discovered a correctly performed bullet retaining some 70% of weight three times. Each time under skin on a shoulder.

My friends and I shoot around 55 - 70 deer per year of which I average approx 12 or so. The weights of the hinds is around 90-120lbs.
Stags are somewhat different and may be anything between 130-300lbs and in the rut, late Sept/Oct when pumped up, difficult to stop unless in a comfortable shooting position for good accurate shot placement...a 110gn AB has done the business everytime on these big boys.

Deer hinds and the ten point stag shown are all shot with the Sierra 100gn 1620 bullet.

Attachments

• Loch Choire 189.jpg
    Loch Choire 189.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,439
  • Loch Choire 213.jpg
    Loch Choire 213.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,438
  • .25-06 Sierra Prohunter #1620  03 002.jpg
    .25-06 Sierra Prohunter #1620 03 002.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,438
  • Glenure 7th. Oct. '08 01b.jpg
    Glenure 7th. Oct. '08 01b.jpg