.25-06 + RE-17 + 85 NBT = ???

Songdog

Handloader
Apr 6, 2009
Finally got my chronograph back from my weasel little brother, so I took it out yesterday. Been shooting a load out of the ole'25-06 for the past year or so... and I wanted to give it a run over the clock to see what was cookin'..... Well.... apparently... my 85 NBT load is cooking!

This is a good load, shoots about 3/4".... and the brass has been through about 4 reloadings at this point. All hail RE-17!

chrony.jpg

Sweet! 3600+ fps with a slick, accurate bullet. That's got to be impressive when it smacks a varmint!

Songdog":206w3ale said:
Guy Miner":206w3ale said:
Sweet! 3600+ fps with a slick, accurate bullet. That's got to be impressive when it smacks a varmint!

Exhibit A:
doggie.jpg

Taht's definitely a P.E.T.A. picture for sure. Oh and P.E.T.A. stands for Prairiedogs Experiencing Terrific Ammunition.

That has to be the first load I've seen with RL 17. I shoot the same bullet with RL 19 but I don't see velocity anywhere near what you're getting, mine are in the 3500 fps range.

I saw about 3500 running RE-19 too... the bump in velocity without a loss in accuracy was nice to see.

Wow, I cannot wait to get my new 25-06! Those 85gr'ers would have to be laser flat to 400 yards! 6mm Rem can eat its heart out! Scotty

79inpa":2uftnxnp said:
Thats gotta be max...Thats about 15 fps more than I got my beloved imr 4831.

It's a little over 1/2 grain UNDER max in quickload.... with corresponding velocities. Like I said, I've been shooting this load for over a year now... with no adverse effects (unless you're a furry critter)... and just now got around to running it over the clock.

I've never seen any loads for RL 17 in the .25-06. Can't believe the velocity you're getting either. What make is the rifle? I've been shooting a Rem 700 VS in .25-06 for 34 years. Replaced the barrel 3 years ago with a Krieger match.

So far in my rifle RL 19 has given me the best performance with accuracy under 1/2".

Drilled a coyote with this load last night at 287 yards.... unfortunately I didn't have a camera with me. But, I can assure you.... it was not pretty.... the entire off-side front leg (shoulder and all).... was about 8' from the rest of the carcass.... and there were chunks of clock-work spread randomly about the winter wheat for 40' or so. The farmer was rather impressed with both the shot... and the terminal effects of the little 85 grain pill...

Back