25-06 with 110 gr bullet question

nhenry

Handloader
Feb 7, 2022
I've never actually worked with 110gr projectiles, always favoring the 115/117 class. I decided that I'd try out the 110gr Hammer Hunter in my fast twist 25-06 over H4831, so I looked at the couple manuals that I have and found a pretty major difference in the loads in them.

In Nosler's, which I turn to for most loading, the max charge is stated at 51gr of H4831.
In Hornady's, which has always been fairly conservative, the max charge is 54.7gr of H4831.

Why is this? Are Nosler's bullets just harder to engrave?

Also, which one would be better to refer to when working with the Hammers?

All answers are appreciated.

I've never actually worked with 110gr projectiles, always favoring the 115/117 class. I decided that I'd try out the 110gr Hammer Hunter in my fast twist 25-06 over H4831, so I looked at the couple manuals that I have and found a pretty major difference in the loads in them.

In Nosler's, which I turn to for most loading, the max charge is stated at 51gr of H4831.
In Hornady's, which has always been fairly conservative, the max charge is 54.7gr of H4831.

Also, which one would be better to refer to when working with the Hammers?

All answers are appreciated.
If I'm following you correctly....

I always try and find real data using the actual subject bullet.

Neither Nosler nor Hornady are using the bullet in question.

I'd call Hammer... there are two contact numbers on their website....
Get a live body and ask them point blank for some real data with your bullet and powder you hope to use.

Different bullets of same diameter have differing geometry and pressures can vary...

Give them a call

If I'm following you correctly....

I always try and find real data using the actual subject bullet.

Neither Nosler nor Hornady are using the bullet in question.

I'd call Hammer... there are two contact numbers on their website....
Get a live body and ask them point blank for some real data with your bullet and powder you hope to use.

Different bullets of same diameter have differing geometry and pressures can vary...

Give them a call
Problem is, I've looked to all the load data on the Hammer forum and facebook groups and whatnot. I'm pretty much one of the only guys I know running a fast twisted 25-06, so I always start with established load data from manuals.

I'll give Hammer a call.

I am not sure if you are in LRH but GLTaylor updates load data there. I can get it for you tonight if. It. On the road now

I just sent you an email and link.

The owner at Hammer bullets recommends using starting data from Nosler with a similar weight bullet, then work up to pressure, then back off half a grain of powder.

I’m loading the 125gr hammer hunter. I used the mid load Ed for Hornady 120gr as a starting load for the hammer. I’ve found that to usually be a good starting point for hammers. 56.5.gr of re25 showed slight ejector marks so I worked nsbk down a couple gr.

The hammers don’t produce the pressure of the conventional bullets. I did the same when loading my 6.5 PRC WITH THE 124 hammer hunter.

What twist rate is your 25/06? I did 1-7”

I’m loading the 125gr hammer hunter. I used the mid load Ed for Hornady 120gr as a starting load for the hammer. I’ve found that to usually be a good starting point for hammers. 56.5.gr of re25 showed slight ejector marks so I worked nsbk down a couple gr.

The hammers don’t produce the pressure of the conventional bullets. I did the same when loading my 6.5 PRC WITH THE 124 hammer hunter.

What twist rate is your 25/06? I did 1-7”
Oh how are you liking the 125s? I thought about them too.
1-7.5" is my twist

So far I’m really impressed. Getting 3100+ fps and really good accuracy. I just ordered a couple hundred more.

125gr hammer vs 115 ballistic tip

Attachments

• B1D8CEE0-201B-404F-BFF9-A604A51A1B14.jpeg
    B1D8CEE0-201B-404F-BFF9-A604A51A1B14.jpeg
    310.8 KB · Views: 7
  • A6101D22-3EE8-4A6D-B969-0653E2875A79.jpeg
    A6101D22-3EE8-4A6D-B969-0653E2875A79.jpeg
    420 KB · Views: 7
A fast twist usually stabilises heavier bullets pretty well, but what's your fast twist?
My .25-06 is 1-10.. & I use the 110gn Nosler AB, - they work perfectly in my rifle.
I used to use IMR4831, but now it's unavailable in UK, so I moved to Viht. N560

A fast twist usually stabilises heavier bullets pretty well, but what's your fast twist?
My .25-06 is 1-10.. & I use the 110gn Nosler AB, - they work perfectly in my rifle.
I used to use IMR4831, but now it's unavailable in UK, so I moved to Viht. N560
I mine’s a 1:7.5”. It shoots factory 117gr SST into one jagged hole but I haven’t worked up a lod with them. I’d prefer to do monos

Hmm that's fast! I've never come across a 25-06 with a 1-7.5 twist.
FWIW I think at 1-7.5 twist will definitely work much better with the heavier bullet, so cannot comment on whether the barrel will stabilise a 110gn bullet.
It's a case of 'Suck it & see' but maybe someone else on here has first hand knowledge. Good luck.. (y)

Hmm that's fast! I've never come across a 25-06 with a 1-7.5 twist.
FWIW I think at 1-7.5 twist will definitely work much better with the heavier bullet, so cannot comment on whether the barrel will stabilise a 110gn bullet.
It's a case of 'Suck it & see' but maybe someone else on here has first hand knowledge. Good luck.. (y)
I shoot 100gr NBT with great accuracy, so it’ll at least stabilize bullets down to 100gr just fine. Now, I tried shooting a 75gr Vmax and it obliterated it

Lead-free Hammer bullets need a fast twist barrel to stabilize, their 103gr .257 cal Hammer Hunters need an 8.5 or faster twist, your 110gr needs an 8 or 8.25 to stabilize and Thebear78 125gr Hammer Hunters need a 7.5 or faster twist. They are good bullets and easy to find a load for, I'm loading them in 3 different calibers.

On any given cartridge Hornady brass has more case capacity. I would trust Nosler’s data to get in the ballpark.

Back