.25 cal 110 Accubond

Elmer, even with the cold barrel flyers, you are still close to MOA. I have had a couple of rifles that shot out of the group with a cold barrel. However, you are still Minute-of-a Red-Deer to 400 meters. I have had some luck by allowing loaded rounds to sit for several weeks before testing for grouping in order to increase the galvanic (corrosion) sticktion between neck and bullet shank. Sometimes this helps grouping by inceasing the breakaway tension of the neck.

Your 51.0 grain of IMR 4831 load is way off-book-load in charge size and would have to be chronogaphed to check velocity but would bet that it is over 3000 fps. The .257 Roberts is the most underloaded case of any which I can think of in terms book loading data. The powder that interests me for that 110 grain bullet is Hodgdon's Hybrid 100V. Published data puts the 110 AccuBond at 3100 fps+ with no pressure issues.

Being a relatively new powder, it may be more difficult to get in the U.K.?

ElmerThud":x51j3w5u said:
Thanks DrMike. I've enjoyed some good encouragement from you guys and now once chrono'd I can look at some fine adjustment.
I'm hoping the MV will be 3120 & perhaps a touch more...we'll see, hopefully next Saturday/Sunday.

But I'm pleased with where I got to and when I get hunting with this bullet, hoping for some good results when the going gets extreme!

It will be interesting what happens with this load when we get to winter temperatures here in the UK.
Cheers, ET

I am guessing you are in the 2900-3050 range. It is a little difficult to guess, but I am going off of QL which isn't a genie at all, but it seems like your in the 56,000 PSI range with that load, so I wouldn't think you have a darned thing to worry about. If it shoots like that, no deer will get outta their hoofprints.

Right now Scotty & OT3 I've found a good 'Comfort Zone' with the load. I'm quite certain it'll do the job when I get around to using it on live quarry next.

On old Nosler book shows IMR4831 x 51gns with their test MV at 3177fps using their cartridge OAL & is the max charge weight listed.
I think, but not sure, it was done with a 24" barrel under their test conditions.

My COAL is different, also the components vary & of course I will not be checking under lab test conditions when I chrono, so it'll just be my data taken with conditions that prevail at test time. For sure, I'll make it as neutral as possible, but the info will simply be a guide for me to use when estimating quarry range in the field.
It'll be fine & will work for me.

If I can eventually negate the 'Flyers' from cold, that'll be a bonus - but there aren't that many times in the field when the barrel will get warm, especially not in winter! So, I'll zero the cold barrel impact point. Job done!
Cheers, ET :) :) :)

JD338":1mmth8mz said:
The 257 110 gr AB is about the same length as the 257 115 gr BT. It will stabilize just fine in a 1:10 twist but it needs to be driven faster than the velocity generated by the 250-3000.
I push the 110 gr AB at 2974 fps from a 257 Roberts and it shoots very well.

JD338

RATS! not that I'm not happy with the 100 Gr BT. Would have been fun to get somthoing going with the 110 AB for my future big Muley though.....nothin' the BT wont do though. CL

I used the 100 Partitions in the .257 Roberts and 115/120 Partitions in the .25-06, both killed any deer that I shot with them pretty well and quickly. I am certain that the 110 gr bullets will perform well on deer also. I have only shot them at paper though.

There don't appear to be many guys in the UK have used the Nosler AB's on live quarry in any calibre and I didn't find anyone that's using .25-06Rem. who had any info at all. It's been a long haul of over 12 months for me to even get a consistent supply of the bullet, in order to develop the load.
I guess a few may have tried the 110gn bullet on paper, but probably gave up in favour of a heavier bullet and a stronger supply chain.

However, I had a specific reason for moving on from the 100gn Sierra ProHunter bullet, a bullet that I shall keep in my stable for lighter weight game and a bullet that's never failed me. However, I do want better terminal performance at a much greater range and I believe I'll get it from the Nosler 110gn AB........I'll have to wait until later in the season to find out and maybe, if I'm unlucky, next season!

Meanwhile, there will at least be more 'Playtime' with the load and the 'Toyshop' now retains an on-going supply of .257 110gn AB bullets for me. :grin: I will post my chrono data as soon as I've checked it.
Cheers, ET

ElmerThud":3avy3x9n said:
There don't appear to be many guys in the UK have used the Nosler AB's on live quarry in any calibre and I didn't find anyone that's using .25-06Rem. who had any info at all. It's been a long haul of over 12 months for me to even get a consistent supply of the bullet, in order to develop the load.
I guess a few may have tried the 110gn bullet on paper, but probably gave up in favour of a heavier bullet and a stronger supply chain.

However, I had a specific reason for moving on from the 100gn Sierra ProHunter bullet, a bullet that I shall keep in my stable for lighter weight game and a bullet that's never failed me. However, I do want better terminal performance at a much greater range and I believe I'll get it from the Nosler 110gn AB........I'll have to wait until later in the season to find out and maybe, if I'm unlucky, next season!

Meanwhile, there will at least be more 'Playtime' with the load and the 'Toyshop' now retains an on-going supply of .257 110gn AB bullets for me. :grin: I will post my chrono data as soon as I've checked it.
Cheers, ET

I think you will enjoy the 110. Overall, the AB's have been some very consistently excellent performers for me. While they sometimes give me fits, once the load is figured out, they seem to really work well. Compared to the 100 grain Pro Hunters, I think you are going to be impressed, with terminal ballistics.

Thanks Scotty, that's a comfort boost for me & I can't wait to finalise the load and get zeroed ready for the first opportunity I get. Cheers & Best wishes. ET

The AB has earned its chops by delivering consistent performance over a wide range of velocities. I can't imagine that if you have had good performance out of the Sierras you would be disappointed in the AccuBonds. Both are good bullets, but the bonding permits better terminal performance. Sounds as if you are a pace setter for the remainder of the hunting fraternity in jolly old Blighty.

Hi DrMike, I can't imagine I've ever been a pace setter in anything, but it's fair to say very few people here have tried or talk of the Nosler AB bullets. Mostly they all seem to be into either Hornady, Nosler BT's & Partition or a Barnes bullet of one sort or another.
The dealers certainly don't have them (AB's) on the shelves in many calibres, even fewer in .257" and it takes them ages to get any in! I'm sure that's not a Nosler problem, but more like low UK dealer requirement from the importer.

I'm certainly sure they'll deliver the goods when I need them to and look forward to when I get in the hills again with my rifle and these new rounds. Cheers, ET

Hey ET, what is the normal "toy store" inventory look like in the UK(bullets, powder, brass, ect)? Just wondering, is any certain caliber way more popular than the other? What about rifles and such? Sorry for all the questions, but it is pretty cool to me to see what you all use over across the way.

There's a good mixture here usually, but it's always slow to see newly introduced stuff in the USA get into our toy stores. Mostly it's a common mix of small cal centrefire .220, .256 .243Win very common as is .308Win. .270 remains popular, but is out of fashion. 6.5x55 & 7mm popular. The bench rest boys brought in the 6.5x47Lapua rounds and this is rapidly being grabbed by hunters! From what I've witnessed with Rogers 6.5x47L, what a fantastic hunting rifle cartridge it is too.
www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk
If you take a look at this forum you'll see what goes on over here and get the drift of it. While I look at it from time to time, I don't spend too much time on there.
I use the www.yeswehunt.de and the Nosler site much more.

Problems for some of the sporting hunters that hunt in mainland Europe exist in France and other countries, you cannot use or transport any 'Military calibre' firearm there. No permit will be granted for either Old or New military calibres on sporting rifles. So, you cannot take a .256, a .308 or 30-06 or 8mm into/through France. They're trying at present to repeal this law, but it's not through yet. :?
Primers - not usually a problem, though from time to time there are shortages here. Lots of Vihtavouri easily available, as are most Alliant, Hodgdon & IMR propellants.
Brass has shot up in price, though Lapua is still the most expensive. Most reloading tools from all manufacturers are available too.
Internet shopping has screwed up some dealer stockholding, but not yet completely. You know the old saying I guess, you have to be able to hold it to buy it!
Rifles....everything is available & we do have some very fine gunsmiths over here, http://www.precisionrifles.com - one of the best, Callum Ferguson is the owner.
But for fun, take a look at these in Germany: http://www.prinz-waffen.de/
http://www.fanzoj.com/en/home/index.html

Good stuff. Great to see the fraternity still alive in England despite what appears from this side of the pond to be hostility and strong opposition.

We have a lot of resistance to adversity over her DrMike. Don't necessarily always win, but we keep our heads down & charge!
I think all disciplines of shooters in the UK would be better served with one fireams oriented organisation, but that's never going to happen as there are too many snouts in too many different troughs now.
Most members of these organisations are there for the 3rd party insurance cover and legal back up if a problem occurs, rather than to preserve our right to hold firearms. :roll:
Pity, but there you have it.
Cheers, ET

Elmer, my sister is a dedicated fox hunter and lives in the UK, west of London. Riding and hunting are her favorite entertainment, plus she goes estate shooting with her husband in season, which I have never done over there. She does not discuss the shooting issues over there much. I am somewhat aware of the situation and I would hope that adversity would create some common ground for defense of people's rights to run their own lives. Maybe the UK needs an NRA type organization as you indicated.

ElmerThud":27dexnjq said:
There's a good mixture here usually, but it's always slow to see newly introduced stuff in the USA get into our toy stores. Mostly it's a common mix of small cal centrefire .220, .256 .243Win very common as is .308Win. .270 remains popular, but is out of fashion. 6.5x55 & 7mm popular. The bench rest boys brought in the 6.5x47Lapua rounds and this is rapidly being grabbed by hunters! From what I've witnessed with Rogers 6.5x47L, what a fantastic hunting rifle cartridge it is too.
www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk
If you take a look at this forum you'll see what goes on over here and get the drift of it. While I look at it from time to time, I don't spend too much time on there.
I use the www.yeswehunt.de and the Nosler site much more.

Problems for some of the sporting hunters that hunt in mainland Europe exist in France and other countries, you cannot use or transport any 'Military calibre' firearm there. No permit will be granted for either Old or New military calibres on sporting rifles. So, you cannot take a .256, a .308 or 30-06 or 8mm into/through France. They're trying at present to repeal this law, but it's not through yet. :?
Primers - not usually a problem, though from time to time there are shortages here. Lots of Vihtavouri easily available, as are most Alliant, Hodgdon & IMR propellants.
Brass has shot up in price, though Lapua is still the most expensive. Most reloading tools from all manufacturers are available too.
Internet shopping has screwed up some dealer stockholding, but not yet completely. You know the old saying I guess, you have to be able to hold it to buy it!
Rifles....everything is available & we do have some very fine gunsmiths over here, http://www.precisionrifles.com - one of the best, Callum Ferguson is the owner.
But for fun, take a look at these in Germany: http://www.prinz-waffen.de/
http://www.fanzoj.com/en/home/index.html

Thank you for the intel. I am looking forward checking out those links. It would be worth a trip to your area just to check out the "toy stores"!

We're never likely to see anything like your NRA over here OT3, & certainly not in my lifetime.
There is an NRA organisation operating out of Bisley in the UK, but it only concerns itself with competition shooting and clubs. It is nothing like the NRA you have in the USA.

Other orgs. like BASC and BDS are very much directed toward stalkers, vermin control and clay pigeon guns.
Most of us that hunt keep our heads down and stay away from the limelight, but when we're out on game drives in the winter with maybe 10 guns shooting pheasant, duck etc the Anti's may appear on the farmland. Not so much while stalking as it's one, perhaps two rifles, usually in the wilds away from populated areas.

I visited some toyshops in the USA Scotty and they're much the same as over here in UK. The main difference is you have revovers & pistols on display and available. Here, we can't have those firearms at all. We had to hand them in back in 1997 after a school shooting in Dunblane, Scotland.
That is...except black powder! We may still have those...plainly they're not as lethal :? :roll:
I used to have some nice sidearms back then, a Colt 1911A1, S&W686, Dan Wesson .357Maximum & Dan Wesson .445SuperMag. They were great fun.
All gone since 1997 :( .

Man, that is a shame ET. Those were some very sweet pistols. Those Dan Wesson's of those vintages were some very nice revolvers.

That is what happens when you a have people who know nothing about the sum and substance of what they draft laws for. The UK has outlawed revolvers and pistols but allows black powder? It is the same here, you can buy a .36 Cal, Navy Colt through the mail with no package markings but can not buy a .22 match pistol without going through a dealer and Federal Check waiting period.

Laws are drafted to justify the existence of politicians and not to ensure peace and good order.

Back