25 cal LR Accubond

Just my thoughts,,,the use of such lighter weights regardless of caliber, that it would for the most part, be counter intuitive to make VLD's. One needs more bullet weight/length to get the high BC's of the long boattail and ogive. While I haven't run the numbers, I suspect it wouldn't be much different than the 110 gr. AB. One just won't gain much over 100 BT. Again just my opinion, But the advantages of a VLD design, just don't really begin to show much with sectional densities under .250-.260. With SD's around .270 and over (even near or over .300) is where the design starts to do it's thing. Yes you can push the 100 gr. faster, but a 120-130 gr. VLD will pass it up, even starting out slower. The VLD pretty much shines past the 5-600 yd mark. Around 500 and under, the BT and standard AB will do about the same.

Okay, fine, but I'm with Joel. Thanks for the bc and ballistic tutorial. I'd like to see ANY LR AccuBond in .25 caliber :cry: :cry:
Considering the ga-ga over 6.5 mm's and .264 WM's, there's a ton of bullet variety there. The .257's have hardly anything in any brand by comparison. Nosler has given us the BT, PT, and one AccuBond. Glad for that!
:) :)

I would be fine with a heavier 25 cal bullet also, but I would guess the 1 in 10 twist of most 25 cal barrels to be insufficient for a 120 grain LR AccuBond. That's why I threw out the 100 grain figure.

As elkeater mentioned, bullet selection in 25 cal is sometimes limited. Nosler doesn't even make a 25 Custom Comp. Berger makes a 115 grainer with a .466 BC. A high BC 25 cal bullet would be a terrific LR coyote or range bullet!

Of course, when it comes to deer, I will likely still have PTs loaded up.

My guess? Only a matter of time.

A 115 gr would be perfect for standard twists.

Out of curiosity, I ran a hypothetical 100gr.VLD.
I will stand to correct myself in part. Velocity a path and deflection favor the 100 VLD over the 110 AB. The difference was small however. Depending all the other factors, at .25-06 velocities, at 800 yds., it looks like about a 5-6 click advantage in trajectory and 2-3 click deflection all settings the same, for the 100 gr. if it existed. Energy is nearly equal.
115 gr VLD would at slower MV would be about the same trajectory and drift as the 100 VLD, only more energy. But all in all, it kind of depends on the intended use and target.
I would agree with Fotis on both, as the hypothetical I ran on it, show a 120gr. VLD would take it out the realm of standard twist.

I have just purchased a lot of 110 AccuBond bullets for my .257 Roberts. I would not be at all adversed to a 110 Long Range AccuBond with .500+ BC which would shoot in a 1:10 inch barrel twist? That would be my greatest bullet want for small calibers

What does the BC on the 110 AB look like by comparison? I understand the physics of the length to diameter (well OK I dont "understand it" but) and it neediing a longer bullet to get the higher BC. I dont know if they could do that correctly with a 100 gr'r.

I had not heard that a 1:10 twist would not stabilize bullets heavier than 100 Gr ....?

A recent poster was shooting 110 AB's out of his 250 Savage but I think his case was too small to get much beyond 2500 fps.

Id like to see it too, dont know if its possible.... CL

A 1-10 twist will stabilize standard length bullets up to 120 grains, but the hypothetical 120 ABLR would be too long. Notice how the other ABLRs are geared to work in standard twist guns without being gluttonous?

A 100 gr ABLR would be about perfect for several cartridges, not just the 25/06.

Secant ogives, or getting that ogive curve to yield higher ballistic coefficients without adding appreciable length to the bullet! Therein lies the secret to this puzzle!

A 115 gr Berger VLD worked very well from my 1:10 twist .25-06 rifle.

As have the 115 Nosler Ballistic Tip and Partition bullets. Several 100 gr bullets shot well too, particularly the Sierra SPBT Gameking. Excellent accuracy with that one!

FWIW, Guy

Another vote for a LRAB for the .25 caliber. Heck I'll be even happy if they make it 107grs just to please the crowds :mrgreen:

35R

Id love to see one with a BC of at least .500 dont care what it weighs really, but I vote for something in the 110-120 range myself, makes more sense for LR... I dont think it would be all to hard to do, its only another .050 higher then there 115g NBT...As far as high BC bullets go for .257" you only really have 2 options and thats the 115g NBT or the 115g VLD...The VLD doesn't give you much if anything in BC to outweigh the difference in reliable terminal performance on game to justify them over the NBT either in my opinion. The 115g NBT is still a great 600 yard performer however and thats about all the further one needs to be shooting game with a quarter bore anyways, any further and you need to step it up a notch IMO

We really do need a high BC 257" bullet to compete with all the dam hoop a la of the 6mm and 6.5s...

cloverleaf":vgjk2637 said:
What does the BC on the 110 AB look like by comparison? CL

# Technical Information Caliber: 25
# Bullet Diameter: 0.257
# Bullet Weight: 110 Grains
# Bullet Length: 1.195"
# Bullet Style: Ballistic Tip Spitzer Boat Tail
# Bullet Coating: Non-Coated

Ballistics Information:
# Sectional Density: 0.238
# Ballistic Coefficient: 0.418

That bullet is already wonderful! All it needs to be the greatest is .080 more BC. If that makes it a 115 AB instead of 110 grain, "do not cry Argentina"! A little less bearing surface, a little more Secant Ogive and Voila!

.8????

wow

071.gif

Yeah, I was thinking .500 and maybe a little more. That would still be a remarkable challenge to accomplish for a .257 bullet. That has always been the weakness of the .257 and .243 calibers is the lower BC's for game bullets.

Back