25 cal LR Accubond

FOTIS":2ytw5ewi said:
My guess? Only a matter of time.

A 115 gr would be perfect for standard twists.

I wanna see one, that is for sure! A good decently BC'ed AccuBond in .5's or better would be a sweet bullet for the 257 shooters. Even though, my wife's 25-06 does really well with the 115 BT, I would like to see an AB around the same weight.

remingtonman_25_06":3ai57du6 said:
Id love to see one with a BC of at least .500 dont care what it weighs really, but I vote for something in the 110-120 range myself, makes more sense for LR... I dont think it would be all to hard to do, its only another .050 higher then there 115g NBT...As far as high BC bullets go for .257" you only really have 2 options and thats the 115g NBT or the 115g VLD...The VLD doesn't give you much if anything in BC to outweigh the difference in reliable terminal performance on game to justify them over the NBT either in my opinion. The 115g NBT is still a great 600 yard performer however and thats about all the further one needs to be shooting game with a quarter bore anyways, any further and you need to step it up a notch IMO

We really do need a high BC 257" bullet to compete with all the dam hoop a la of the 6mm and 6.5s...

The VLD doesn't give you much if anything in BC to outweigh the difference in reliable terminal performance on game to justify them over the NBT either in my opinion.

Normally I would agree with this in part. And the keyword being reliable, is the main reason I wasn't overly fond of long range hunting. But since, it sounds like Nosler has come up with a jacket and core alloy that performs down to that reported low velocity, is the game changer.

What case capacity/velocity do we need to benefit from the use of said new LR bullet? Would a 26" bbl. be ok, or a 28? Is 2000 lbs. of energy still the minimum impact energy for a hunting bullet?

Hummm .....

Jim, Nosler is saying the new AB will expand down to 1300FPS. Really makes it pretty reliable for both little cartridges that wouldn't have the steam to expand further out and it allows the bullets with ALOT of steam to expand WAY out there.

I would use a 110 grain AccuBond long range in a .257 Roberts. I can load up with a full length action to get 3060 fps with a 24 inch barrel and 110 Accubonds. That is all I need for long range shooting on deer. That gets me close to 500 yards or more at 1300 fps bullet expansion with 2200+ velocity remaining with the AccuBond.

Plus with the 85 grain at 3390 fps in that rifle, I can blast varmits a long ways.

Scotty,
then with my .257 Bee, I should be in good shape out there aways, as I have a mzl. vel. with the 110AB of 3500fps. And for the record, I am placing 3 shots into 4" @ 500 thru the S-1 .257 stainless barrel. I doubt that I will hunt any animals beyond that distance in the future.

Kodiak":27cnnmla said:
Scotty,
then with my .257 Bee, I should be in good shape out there aways, as I have a mzl. vel. with the 110AB of 3500fps. And for the record, I am placing 3 shots into 4" @ 500 thru the S-1 .257 stainless barrel. I doubt that I will hunt any animals beyond that distance in the future.

Yeah Jim, I would think you will be right on time with that 257! That is SCREAMING!!!

Kodiak":17mexig5 said:
Scotty,

Wow.

What load is that?

That is screaming! I thought that I was doing good at 3050 with the 110 bullet in my .257 Bob!

Just had to revive this one.......

Gotta wonder why with as many 25/06 is there is out there, that no one seams to be interested, in building a over 500 BC bullet for us??? My Rem 700 stabilise 120gr Speer BT (.485BC) just fine and have some .75" groups to back it up. I bet Nosler could make a 129gr ABLR that would run around a 550 BC
And that would shake the .264 world to its core! Enough so
With all the chatter it would just be a matter of time before
One of the gunmakers offered a factory gun with a twist specific to that new bullet????
Why not get their own rifles ready to ship
Then introduce the new bullet and clean up on sales!
Nosler are you out there??? :cry:

While I hope Nosler and others spend some R&D on the .257 and some more on the .277, both of those do pretty well with what they have for Bullets right now. I think other than the niche of some folks that do shoot extreme ranges, a lot of folks want a super BC'ed bullet to continue hunting deer in the back 40 that'll probably never shoot over 300 yards.

Saying that I'd love to see one of the ABLR's or similar that was shaped as sleek as they could make it to still stabilize in a 10 twist.

I too would like to see a LR style bullet for the 25's, being a 257 Bob shooter myself. My guess is that Nosler will focus most of their R&D dollars on 26, 28, and 30.. Hmmmm, maybe because they like to sell $1700 rifles. Just my thoughts.
Take care
Ed

I see that Krieger makes a 1:9 twist .257" barrel.

Anyone make a faster twist .257" barrel?

Guy

This is interesting fodder.
"With today's well made bullets, overstabilization is largely a myth. I've seen 50gr V-max's shoot well with 1-in-7 .223's as well as 1-in-14 twist 222's."

I can attest to the fact my Rem 700 SPS shoots the .485/BC Speer BT into a .7 group @ 100yds, and still holds
The little 90gr Sierra BlitzKings at .9 at the same target.
A LR bullet with a BC over 500 in the 130gr area is only 10grs off what the rifle will already shoot? If it can already
Stabilize a bullet the is 30grs lighter, what makes us so sure it wouldnt go in the other direction 10grs???? I think we might be overthinking this.......
In my case if none of the bullet makers will do it , It seams crazy but would probably go up .007 next time around and
Wind up with a 6.5 /06 to shoot the .264 bullets :evil:
When I bet a a ABLR around 129gr/with around a 530-50 BC would solve the "firewall" all quaterbores have at the moment

FOTIS":1ttc5c4m said:
My guess? Only a matter of time.

A 115 gr would be perfect for standard twists.

I think so too. good compromise given the 1-10 twist. Should work with the calibers from 257 Bob through 25-06 and the 251 WBY...

BTW: The 100 grain Swift Scirocco is an awesome bullet. tough and sleek.

Dwh7271":2l5n7uxv said:

Pac-Nor will do a 6 groove in an 8

Interesting... Now, who makes .257" bullets that would require a 1:8 twist?

Guy Miner":2w85ho17 said:
Dwh7271":2w85ho17 said:

Pac-Nor will do a 6 groove in an 8

Interesting... Now, who makes .257" bullets that would require a 1:8 twist?

Well...... hopefully Nosler will one day :lol:

I don't think high Rate-of-Twist rifles in .25 and .27 calibers will ever happen. Too much inertia to overcome.

Back