250 AB vs Elk

nvbroncrider

Handloader
Aug 20, 2011
Well my bull fell to the 9.3 250AB launched at 2500 impacted at 220 yards @2125 ish and 2500 FPE Textbook broadside shot. Hit the edge of the scapula about a 1/2" in and took out both lungs. Bullet was recovered against the offside hide and had mushroomed out to about 1/2" in diameter. I lost it when I was skinning him out. He went about 20 feet. You could tell he was definitely hurt and looking for a place to lay down and about 20 seconds later I sent a follow up. He took another 3-4 steps before going down. I have a new found respect for them as they are very tough critters. Tougher than I thought.

It looked very similar to the AB's recovered at 400-500 yards out of an 06 and 300 WSM at 2800 MV

Thanks for the report.
I'm going to give the Accubonds another look.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Jake
That's pretty much what my 160 AB did only a little farther back. How many days did you hunt before you got him. Did you see other elk in the area? It looks like you had great weather.

Elk can absorb a lot of punishment before they finally give up the ghost. I witnessed them dead on their feet and refusing to go down. Necropsy demonstrated that the first shot killed them, but they refused to go down. Sounds as if you did a good job, Jake. Again, congratulations.

Great report Jake. Those 9.3 ABs are tough Bullets.

Elk are the toughest I've witnessed. Seems like everything worked great.

Back