250AI / 115g NBT / Reloder 17 - range outing

bobnob

Handloader
Nov 3, 2012
G'day Guys,

Again with some assistance from Scotty I developed a test load to perform a cursory test of the 115g Nosler Ballistic Tips which I was keen to test because the 85g Varmint version had shot so good in my 250 Savage Ackley Improved.

I only loaded up 2 x 3 shots to see if they showed promise. The load was NNY brass/115g NBT/43.5g R17 and oal of 2.71 with a CCI LR primer.

So I was pleased to send these down to the 125y target which is my short range and see an average of 0.82moa for the two, 3 shot groups. Ave velocity for the six shots was 2980fps.

6E52C3FC-9DDC-44C8-8B17-2744E7E20278_zpsisb0n3s3.jpg

The two bottom groups are the NBTs.

The top group was a single test load of the 87g Hornady SP at a MV of 3300fps. This group came in at 0.8moa which should work!

Very happy with this rifle, particularly with the NBTs but it has shot most bullets through it at better than a 1moa average.

For those interested I have posted a wet newspaper test of the above two bullets plus the Hornady 117g BTSP over in tne BULLET TEST area of the forum.

Regards,

Bob

Looks as if you have a couple of good loads that will work well for pigs. Fine riflery, mate.

Very nice Bob. Sorta looks like shortening them up a skosh might bring that third shot in with the other two. Man, nearly 3K with the 115 in the 250 Ackley seems like a ton of performance for such a small amount of powder. Great work man. That's excellent stuff right there.

Agree. Those are great hunting bullets, and from my .25-06, I'm only sending them out at 3120 fps. Very good accuracy and good results on mule deer & pronghorn antelope.

Guy

Back