Range day 8-5 -17

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
I had loaded up some loads 2 weeks ago and finally I had time this morning to get results. The 3 shot groups was a confirmation based off results of a a ladder test I did at 300 yards almost 3 weeks ago with the .308 and 168 Sierra MK pushed with Varget and Fed. 210 GM. Each bullet / charge was in .3 increments during the ladder test. The loads I made was the results of two flat spots off the chrono and cluster of three different charges bundled together.

Wind was increasing steadily from early morning throughout the day at about 10 to 18 mph from 10-11 o clock. The Lapua brass was fired 5 X with no annealing before testing. Cleaned the bore, fired off 5 foulers. I let cool and shot each 3 shot group at 300 yards and cool 5 mins in between groups. Results are not bad at all and last group ran 2800 fps with two in one. Looks like I'll settle on 43.6 grains, what do you think? The 45.1 grain charge looks nice, but i need to experiment again and with 44.8 to 45.4 gr. to confirm later.
HgAXAAM.jpg

The .300 Win Mag shot very nice as well under an inch (.900") with the 180 AccuBond / RL -22 @ 300 yards, its strictly a hunting rifle, so I only shot two rounds ( round red target ) to confirm before putting it away till hunting season. This is the 3rd two round group and passed with flying colors. Previous 2 shot groups ( red square target) were tighter and was shot with no wind. Norma brass was fired 3X before testing.
SEzZhla.jpg

mr0moko.jpg

MmQKNbZ.jpg

The 7mm Magnum is still fussy with the 150 ABLR and IMR 4350 for the second time, this time I seated .100 deeper, still shoots like crap, around 2 inches @ 100. Thinking to toss the ABLR and try a different bullet for hunting, but not sure which to try yet.

Time for me to load up the annealed brass, been playing with my Benchsource the other day.

Try using a quarter rather than a penny. It's larger, so maybe you'll be able to hit it.

Both the .308 and the .300 Win are giving you excellent results. Very encouraging.

I found the ABLR to be fussy on several cartridges. The 150 grain ABLR did work well in one of my .280s, however.

That is really nice work Tack. I would definitely try a slower powder for the 7mag. No faster than 7828. Also make sure you jump the ABLR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrMike":3hw1zcvs said:
Try using a quarter rather than a penny. It's larger, so maybe you'll be able to hit.

HaHa, I put the pennies there after shooting. It's just an indicator for size comparison. :p

TackDriver284":1hjo4y38 said:
DrMike":1hjo4y38 said:
Try using a quarter rather than a penny. It's larger, so maybe you'll be able to hit.

HaHa, I put the pennies there after shooting. It's just an indicator for size comparison. :p

Well, who'd guessed! :mrgreen: Fine work up.

Gunner46":cj2gfc2h said:
What's wrong with the 45.1 group?

Nothing wrong with it, just want to confirm where the middle of the node is. I like to add a load of 45.4 grains to see results before settling on 45.1 grains.

Example, if you see the first 3 groups, I like the charge of 43.6 grains as well because it sits between two nice groups of 43.3 grains and 43.9 grains, so when you shoot in various temperatures ( cold weather - hot weather) you would still have same POI / groups. If you see that the POI of the 44.8 grains is to the right of the target and the 45.1 grains is under the target, hence different POI. It kind of tickles me.

SJB358":2plj9k3v said:
That 300 will be a hammer.

First big game animal downed will be a bull nilgai coming up in January during the rut. Velocity is 3185 with the 180 with 4k lbs. at the muzzle.
I might sneak it in for deer season in Novemeber. :twisted: I think its a bit too much gun for whitetails and hogs.

Thank you guys for the compliments. (y)

Back