257 Roberts AI/722 Remington

grry10

Handloader
Dec 7, 2007
I picked up a 722 Remington chambered in 257 Roberts Ackley Improved this last weeking. If it is a shooter I plan to try it out this winter calling coyotes and Wisconsin whitetail next fall. Is anyone out there shooting a 257 Roberts AI and if so, would you share what you're shooting out of it?

That will be a hammer on coyotes for sure. My 722 is a one holer with the right ammo (300 Savage).

I corresponded with a guy who had a 722 modified to the AI version. He used the 100 gr Sierra because of its short ogive and he could load it out and not take up too much of the powder capacity of the case. The 722 is a short magazine and won't allow more than the industry max length.

Anybody know where 257 Ackley is? Joel would have the word on this one.... not sure if there is a search function here that would let you find his posts but they would be good reading. CL

Rule of thumb is the max load for the pareo cartridge I the starting load for the AI version.
The 115 gr BT would be a great all around bullet for deer, antelope and coyotes. This is the bullet I run in my 257 Roberts.

JD338

One of my nephews is in possession of my moms 722; .257 Bob. He hasn't hunted in quite a few years, I'm about to take it from him. Not an ACKLEY. But a heck of a deer killer in her hands, a couple of elk too. A great rifle in my mind. You're going to enjoy it. As I recall partitions were her preferred bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The .257 Roberts Ackley Improved was my very first "wildcat" (really its technically just an "Improved" round, not a true wildcat) Mine was a reamed out Mod 700 Classic in the Roberts. I used the then available Hornady 120 HP, seated way out for the Mod 700's long throat. I used IMR 4350 and "I got away with" using PO Ackley's listed load from his book! If I hadn't been able to seat them long, I'd have locked up my action, ha. As it was, it would make the yellow guts fly from crows! I sold it to a friend ( I was poor, young family) who shot deer with it like lightning struck them! Its a cutie too! Good luck to you Pard!

Back