257 WBY Vanguard (NOSLER)

Greg Nolan

Handloader
Nov 25, 2004
What does Nosler suggest for the 110 A/B. Any data in your new manual about the 24" barrel? Trajectory and FPE at various ranges. I'm thinking about antelope next year. Anybody used one with A/Bs?

Our weapons are different but some of this data may be useful. I spent the winter developing loads for my .257 WM. My weapon is a Ruger M77 VT (heavy barrel) 26". Started life as a .25-06 (never fired) and re-chambered to .257 WM. Shoots 100 grain ballistic tips very well. Under 1/2" 3 shot groups at 3675 FPS. Uses a hefty load of RETUMBO.

The 110 Accubonds actually shoot better, .26" group. Speed is right at 3500 FPS. Tried RL 22, RL25, RETUMBO, and IMR 7828 SSC. Best of the lot IMR 7828 SSC. Started at 68 with 7828SSC and worked up slowly. Tried seating bullets longer and that made things worse. Stick with factory OAL 3.17" and groups tightened right up. I don't know why.

My rifle has .37" freebore. It shoot factory ammo well. No pressure signs.

Jerry
Bend, Oregon

My 257 WBY is a custom built rifle on a Sako AV action. It seems to prefer IMR7828ssc as well. I don't have any load data or velocity numbers for you right now (I'm at work), but the 110AB works VERY well in my rifle.

--md

I would say around 67-68g of RL-22 with the 110g AB should produce about 3400fps and give decent accuracy. Might wanna start around 65g just to be on the safe side. I'm going to try talking my buddy into shooting these out of his 24" vanguard as well. Right now hes using the 115g CT BT's at 3400fps with 68g RL-22 which is good for 3400fps over my cronograph.

Dont worry about losing velocity if you by a .257 weatherby vanguard with the 24 inch barrel rather than having a 26 inch barrel. My load is 110 grain AccuBond at 3518 fps with 72.5 grains of IMR-7828.

Thanks for the load info. I've got the 110 A/Bs and I've ordred the B/Ts now I just have to try the loads out. There's a lot of good people on this forum. Thanks again!
Good Hunting
Elkhunt

Jerry thanks for the input. I tried reloaders nest and i'm still familiarizing myself with it. I guess I'm just being excited with the prospects of this fast round but I'm getting old enough to appreciate the excitement of a new caliber. Again; there are a lot of good people on this forum. Remingtonman_25_06 I know you are a long range shooter so this would be right up your alley( so to speak). I want to be able to reach out and touch some antelope. What scope power? 6x18, 4.5x 14, or one of the6x 20 somethings? Which brand? I have a lot of them but I havn't done much beyond 500 yds. and that was many years age. What bullet also?
I'll let you all know what load info I come up with.
Good Hunting :grin:
Elkhunt

remingtonman_25_06":3o5nv3m7 said:
I would say around 67-68g of RL-22 with the 110g AB should produce about 3400fps and give decent accuracy. Might wanna start around 65g just to be on the safe side. .

Dead on!!!!! :idea:

Well personally I'm a leupold fan and like the 6-18, 6.5-20 power ranges. In particular for the money I like the vx2 6-18x40 w/target turrets and fine duplex. These usually run $450 and I think there one of the better scopes to get for out to 1K shooting. Theres really not much difference between a 6-18 and a 6.5-20 other then the glass with leupold. The 20x version will be a vx3 or MK4 version and will be considerably brighter, but cost 2x more money. Its up to you. I have the 6-18 on my 25-06 and have had it on there for 4-5 years. I wont change scopes. It works out to 800 yards just great. I have the 6.5-20x50 LR SF on my 7 RM. LIke I said, its considerably brighter side by side, but its a $850 scope. I dont care for 14x scopes mainly because I like to practice out to 800-1000 yards, and shoot coyotes, and for me, 14x just doens't bring the target in close enough. I prefer 18-20x for 800 yard+ shooting. If your only going to be shooting out to 600-700 14x will work fine. Have to look at what you'll mainly be hunting as well. If coyotes mainly, Id go with more power. If mainly for antelope/deer you could probly get away with 14x if your not shooting past 600-700. However, if you want to be shooting past that on coyote size animals, I recomend a 18-20x. I'd rather start with more power anyways, I find myself on 18-20x 90% of the time. It sucks to not have the power when you need it or want it. You cant shoot what you cant see!!

As for bullets out to 500-600 in your weatherby I would use 110g AB's or 115g NBT's. They will both have more then enough energy/velocity to take antelope to the 800 yard mark, trust me on that one. 500 yards is just getting started and will drop them on the spot. Find a good accurate load, get it cronographed, get a LRF with a good dial up scope and you'll be banging coyotes and antelope out to 600 yards pretty easily with practice.

Thanks again for the info. Right now Im trying a 6x8 Bushnel Trophy with target turrets. I havn't even shot the thing yet. The freebore is incredible on it I could have a half inch longer oal and function but I'll try the suggested specs. I'll post my outcome when I get it shooting.
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :)

Greg, I also load for a Vanguard in 257 wby. Agree with the others, you will only loose 20-30 fps per inch on barrel length. Frankly, at 257 wby speeds you will never notice the difference between a 24 inch and 26 inch barrel. Sure the 26 inch barrel will be faster, but only by a whopping 40-60 fps. That is frankly, unnoticable in application or bullet drop.

My load with the 110 AccuBond bullet is as follows:

110 gr AccuBond
Federal 215 M Match Primer
75 gr of Ramshot Magnum (Big Boy)
Ave Chronographed Velocity is 3477 fps

Hope this helps, and yes, this is a 24 inch barrel on the Vanguard.

AggieDog":2fq5sxbf said:
Greg, I also load for a Vanguard in 257 wby. Agree with the others, you will only loose 20-30 fps per inch on barrel length. Frankly, at 257 wby speeds you will never notice the difference between a 24 inch and 26 inch barrel. Sure the 26 inch barrel will be faster, but only by a whopping 40-60 fps. That is frankly, unnoticable in application or bullet drop.

My load with the 110 AccuBond bullet is as follows:

110 gr AccuBond
Federal 215 M Match Primer
75 gr of Ramshot Magnum (Big Boy)
Ave Chronographed Velocity is 3477 fps

Hope this helps, and yes, this is a 24 inch barrel on the Vanguard.

Just curious, but what kinda of accuracy are you getting? I have the same exact rifle in SS.

I also have the SS version. Mine shoots the AccuBond at around 3/4 inch at 100 yards which is plenty accurate for a hunting load. Hope that helps. I've also got loads worked up using the 100 gr TSX, and the heavier version. The 100 TSX chrony's at 3586 fps. That is not max, but I saw no reason to need to exceed that. (However, I think it's within a grain of max as I remember laod development).

What other powders have you tried? I haven't started loading for mine yet, so maybe you could suggest a starting point :wink:

You know I tried IMR 7828 and then went to IMR 7828 SC. I got 3391fps at .5 in. with 7828. I havn't tried the 7828SC YET. I like IMR powder but Rel. 22 and 25 have given me some real good loads. I'm still trying. 72.5gr of IMR7828 got me the 3391fps with the 110gr. Nos. AccuBond. It was .5 in at 100yds. I have found that the 200yd accuracy is more telling . I don't know why the bullet takes that long to stabilize but it seems to. My load is above max and should be approached slowly. I have a feeling that RL25 might be the answer. At 250 Yd. zero I got 2 in. groups with the IMR7828 With the 24in. barrel. :idea:

Back