Weatherby Vanguard Sporter

Joec7651

Handloader
Apr 7, 2019
I’m thinking about getting a Vanguard Sporter in 270 Win within the next week or so. I haven’t heard any cons about any of the Vanguard line, only praise. For the price it seems economical, with a sub moa guarantee. Do any of you fine gentlemen have any first hand range time with them? That’s the input I’m looking for, not magazine write ups. I don’t think they make a 270 Wby Mag in the Vanguard so 270 Win it is.
Edit: I’m also considering a Model 700 CDL in 270 Win. As perfect as the 700 CDL i bought a few months ago is, I wouldn’t hesitate to get another one in 270 Win. I need my enablers to step up and do their jobs. Lol

Last edited:
New or used?
There was a short run of the 270WSM at one time.
The Wby Vanguard is my favorite rifle platform. These are built by Howa for Wby. They give the best bang for the buck in my opinion.
These are the Vanguards I have:
223 Rem
6mm Creed. (Howa)
257 Wby
6.5 Creed (Howa)
7mm-08
7mm Rem Mag
308 Win
300 Wby
338 Win Mag
375 Wby

I had one in 300Wby that I won in a raffle that shot great after I put it in a decent stock. It came in a cheap poly stock that wouldn't hold epoxy bedding and would shoot loose.
I also had a Ruger 77 Hawkeye in 338Win that did the same thing that came in a cheap plastic stock. Put it in good stock with a bedding block and the differences was night and day.

They do offer the 270 Wby in the MK V of course maybe you could find a deal on one of the more reasonably priced ones. Any of the MK V's are super nice guns. Nothing wrong with the 270 Win so either the Remington or Vanguard would be a good option. If it interests you Browning is even offering a couple of models this year in 270 Win with a 1 in 7.5 twist. 6.8 Western is always a good option too.

I have two in 270, and several in other calibers.
Dad has one in 270 as well.

All 3 shoot very well with factory ammo if you want to use that.
One of mine does VERY well with the 117 Hammer Hunter and is superb on deer and antelope.

I will note that with a Vanguard I routinely tune the trigger, and usually swap them into a better stock / out of the plastic stock, with a Bell & Carlson being typical. We also have laminated stocks and one carbon fiber stock.

Right now I’m looking at a new Vanguard Sporter with the walnut stock. I’d be open to going used on a Mark V in 270 Wby, or a model 70 in 270 WSM. They are pretty scarce anround here though.
After having the Vanguard in my hands it looks and feels like a very nice rifle. The 24” barrel is a plus with it as well.

I really like the idea of a 7 1/2 twist barrel on a 270 win but I just don’t think I need it. 95% of my loads in 270 Win are either 130gr E-Tips or 130gr Partitions, with a few others thrown in when I don’t want to shoot my hunting loads for range time. I won’t be shooting ELR, probably 350-400 yards at the extreme end.

Edit: To be honest I’ve never taken a 400 yard shot. I think my longest was 335 with a rangefinder.

Last edited:
I’m thinking about getting a Vanguard Sporter in 270 Win within the next week or so. I haven’t heard any cons about any of the Vanguard line, only praise. For the price it seems economical, with a sub moa guarantee. Do any of you fine gentlemen have any first hand range time with them? That’s the input I’m looking for, not magazine write ups. I don’t think they make a 270 Wby Mag in the Vanguard so 270 Win it is.
Edit: I’m also considering a Model 700 CDL in 270 Win. As perfect as the 700 CDL i bought a few months ago is, I wouldn’t hesitate to get another one in 270 Win. I need my enablers to step up and do their jobs. Lol
I have shot several.
All have shot good.
Howa rifles shoot good typically.
I don't think you can go wrong either way-Pick your poison:)

I had a 257 Weatherby in the Vanguard line when they came with the black synthetic stock. Like others I replaced the stock. I used a Bell and Carlson from Stocky’s. It shot well under an inch with the cheapest Weatherby ammo. Only got rid of the rifle because I purchased a Ruger #1 in 257 Weatherby.

Well Joe, I guess I'll buck the trend and say go with the CDL just because I like it's looks better. Nothing wrong with the Vanguard just like the Remington better. Dan.

Well Joe, I guess I'll buck the trend and say go with the CDL just because I like it's looks better. Nothing wrong with the Vanguard just like the Remington better. Dan.
Remington has made the Model 700 very nice rifles again. I have no complaints with the 7mm CDL I bought this spring. Both looks and function are outstanding. I have to say I have complete faith in the new 700’s.

A few years back a friend bought a Vanguard in 30-06. Said it wasn't all that accurate. We took it to the range where I checked all the rifle and scope screws, bore sighted the scope to make sure it would be close and fired off three rounds. Nice triangular group about 1.25" I let the rifle cool down and waited a while before shooting another group. A nice .75" group. The first group was shot fairly quickly and group two was shot spacing the shots three minutes apart to keep barrel temp down. I later learned that when he shot the rifle it was five shots as fast as he could run them through the gun. It took a bit of explaining the the inaccuracy was on him and not the rifle. My only complaint on his rifle was I thought it was too darn heavy.
Paul B.

Never owned the vanguard, but I’ve owned two howa 1500’s which is same thing. They were heavy barreled versions for target rifles, but to this day they are still the two most accurate rifles I’ve ever owned.

Well I added another 270 Win to the stable ordering the Weatherby S2 Vanguard Sporter with Turkish walnut stock. It should be here by Jan 3-4. I Love my 270’s, guess it’s time I admit it. Lol. Although the barrel can’t be 22”. It has to be 24”, just my preference. Ala Vanguard or CDL.

Also lucked into 1brick each of Federal and Remington LR and one brick of Federal GMM 215 LRM’s for $260 after tax. Expensive trip to the gun shop.

I really liked the way the Vanguard felt in hand, and fit/finish is very tight. Sub MOA guarantee means tight tolerances and stringent QC. Cycling the action seemed smoother than the Tikka stainless next to it, although I can make just about any bolt silky smooth in a rifle if need be.

Dan don’t be mad at me, I came within a hair of getting it in 700 CDL like you suggested because I do truly love my new production 7mm RM CDL, and it’s a honest one hole shooter with E-Tips. But…….I wanted a Weatherby. Both would shoot better that I can anyway so no harm, no foul there. Already have Talley rings on the way for it, and a Nikon scope is going on top to get started. I bought 4 of them when I heard Nikon was dropping their hunting scopes, extremely clear image through the glass and turrets track precisely, I’ll have 2 left after using this one.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to seeing how it shoots and getting some range time in with it.

Last edited:
I’m positive you’re going to enjoy your Wby Vanguard. A brick of 215s now I’m jealous😁

Back