Advice Needed: Powder choice for 150gr. Accubond in .270Win

friarmeier

Beginner
May 9, 2019
Hello friends - it's been a minute since I've been around - whew, that's life!

I'm just starting to work-up a load for a STANDARD (not LR) AccuBond of 150gr. in my .270 Win (old school; not wsm). I'm loading with a friend who is very proficient.

My goal is a combination of best velocity and sub moa accuracy (I know, this is everyone's goal, right?).

I have about 1/2 lb of RL26, and will use that first.

My problem is this: what to do after the 26 runs out? I also have 23, and 7828ssc (and maybe some RL22).

I'm committed to running the standard 150gr. AccuBond (or maybe the 150gr. Partition, of which I have many). I'd like to set-up this rifle so this will be the final load for the rest of my hunting life-time (I'm 51).

p.s. any thoughts about how much jump to the lands for this bullet?

Thanks for the advice,

friar

If you have 7828 and RL23 on hand your search for powder is probably over. I love both powders, and have nothing bad to say of either. Both will give you velocity and accuracy. Both are tough to get right now in my locale and I snatch up either if I find them. RL23 is very temp stable, but I’ve never had 7828 shoot different in the cold at all, so take that for what it’s worth. Neither powder require magnum primers in the 270 Win. Load them up .025-.030” off the lands and shoot the one your rifle prefers.

Last edited:
If you have 7828 and RL23 on hand your search for powder is probably over. I love both powders, and have nothing bad to say of either. Both will give you velocity and accuracy. Both are tough to get right now in my locale and I snatch up either if I find them. RL23 is very temp stable, but I’ve never had 7828 shoot different in the cold at all, so take that for what it’s worth. Neither powder require magnum primers in the 270 Win. Load them up .025-.030” off the lands and shoot the one your rifle prefers.
Joe..."cold" being a relative term, where do you shoot and hunt, and what is "cold" to you? I ask because I have a few pounds of 7828 for my .264, but that rifle will be going down the road shortly and I have not made a plan to continue using that powder.

I think you are set with IMR 7828 and RL 23, there's a good chance you'll find something good with those. I did really well with IMR 7977 but it isn't made anymore. IMR 7828 and H 4831 sc also did well for me in the past.

Thank you Joe C! (y)

When I'm shooting 150s in my 270, I use these loads:
150 Nosler LRAB 61.0 RL-26 Fed 210 Fed Case 3.492" 3084fps
150 Nosler LRAB 60.0 I7828 Fed 210 Fed Case 3.492" 3004fps

That looks pretty good to me Scotty.
That load will cover most anything in NA.

JD338

Between RL23 and 7828 you should be in high cotton for 150s in the 270. Hold onto your hat because a 150 PT or AccuBond at 3000ish FPS is one bad dude to hunt with here in the lower 48!
V/R,
Joe

Hello John! I should be more precise - I haven't heard that it's going away, just altogether impossible to find. And when you do, it's $450/8lb IF you're lucky. Freaks over at GB are asking $1200!🤬

Back