26 Nosler loading data?

Pick up the latest issue of Shooting Times. It has a picture of the 26 Nosler on the cover and a feature story inside.

While limited, it does show six handloads for the 26 Nosler for bullets from the 120 grain Hornady GMX to the Swift 140 grain A-Frame. Powders used include H 4831SC, Magnum, US869, and H1000.

The article suggests that barrel life will be very short.

R Flowers":2zb5xcg7 said:
The article suggests that barrel life will be very short.
They have said the same thing about the 264 Winchester but haven't heard anyone using them for hunting complain about short barrel life.

All I can tell you is that here in central California the .264 Winchester craze came and went rather quickly.

I was pretty much just a kid then, but nobody kept those Model 70's very long. I am not sure if it was the barrels that Winchester was using, the cleaning techniques of the shooters (or lack of cleaning), but after a couple years I heard nothing but bad press about the .264 Winchester Magnum.

And Winchester's offering of rifles with shorter barrels which produced horrific muzzle blast pretty much killed the thing around here.

I know of several of my dad's friends who were so proud of their .264 Winchesters one year and could not wait to get rid of them the next. They were so inaccurate that they were a real disappointment.

Not judging, just relating what happened.

I suspect, based on case capacity and bore diameter comparisons, the 26 Nosler will have a barrel life similar to, but slightly less than, the 7mmRUM. That's not long, in any capacity. Take care of the rifle, and you'll likely get 1200rds or more through it before accuracy falls off. Leave too much carbon in the bore, or shoot it hot, and you won't get that much by a wide margin. I'd be highly suspicious of the veracity of anyone claiming more than 1700rds or so from one, and even then, I'd only believe that many if the loads were not pushed out to max all the time.

playing with cars I learned a long time ago that having a hot rod costs money . when talking the 26 nosler , short barrel life is the price of performance . there is no free lunch .

jimbires":2pg5cfj6 said:
playing with cars I learned a long time ago that having a hot rod costs money . when talking the 26 nosler , short barrel life is the price of performance . there is no free lunch .

Jim nailed that, that is for sure. Treat them right, but expect you'll have to replace as needed.. It is alot of performance under their hoods.

I would say 1200 rounds is Extremely optimistic. Most 6.5x284's only last that long burning 50 grains of powder. I don't expect more than 6-800 from my 6.5-300wm (and it will probably be closer to 600 if not less) using 70 grains of powder. I would bet a 26 Nosler would be under 500 rounds unless it was babied to the max. If it got hot once I would bet the barrel life would be under 300 rounds.

For the average Joe 300 rounds is a lifetime but the poor accuracy because of fouling could be bad for Nosler. The average person doesn't really clean their guns and hot rod rounds need to be clean at 100 rounds or less and some as quick as 30-40 rounds. That case capacity would have been better as a 7mm or 30cal IMO.

The author of the Shooting Times article opined 800 rounds barrel life.

The S.T. article shows a simplified cartridge diagram, with some key dimension missing, but it appears to be essentially a necked-down 375 Ruger. Can anyone provide some of the missing notation, such as:

* Length from base to point of shoulder
* Length from base to shoulder/neck junction
* Case overall length (not cartridge OAL)
* Shoulder angle (appears to be 30 degrees)

I have seen anecdotal evidence on another forum that the wildcat 7mm-375 (Ruger) holds 92-grains of powder (I assume to base of neck, but ?). So it's likely this case will have similar powder capacity. Any comments?

Brian

brians356":5m1a75a6 said:
The author of the Shooting Times article opined 800 rounds barrel life.

The S.T. article shows a simplified cartridge diagram, with some key dimension missing, but it appears to be essentially a necked-down 375 Ruger. Can anyone provide some of the missing notation, such as:

* Length from base to point of shoulder
* Length from base to shoulder/neck junction
* Case overall length (not cartridge OAL)
* Shoulder angle (appears to be 30 degrees)

I have seen anecdotal evidence on another forum that the wildcat 7mm-375 (Ruger) holds 92-grains of powder (I assume to base of neck, but ?). So it's likely this case will have similar powder capacity. Any comments?

Brian
More like a shortened RUM. Here is the link to the SAAMI drawing.

http://static.squarespace.com/static/51 ... _SAAMI.pdf

It is very close in capacity to a 6.5x7STW. That is where I'm starting my load research until Nosler comes out with their data.

Scott

Interestingly, Wikipedia articles for 375 Ruger and 8mm Rem Mag (parent for 7mm STW) say both cases hold 99 grains H2O. (Different neck capacities needs to be accounted for.)

So the question becomes: What existing beltless case can be reasonably used to form 26 Nosler?

Brian

Here are some comparisons:

According to the numbers I found these cartridges have the following displacements.

264WM- 80.7
6.5x300whh- 90.7
6.5x7STW- 92.2
26 Nosler- aprox. 93
7LRM- 84.8
7 Dakota- 90.7
7RUM- 106.8

I think a real nice combination would be a 7mmx26Nosler.
My guestimate on the parent would be 404Jeffrie or a Rum basic.

Scott

Thanks, Scott, excellent presentation.

Are the case displacements in grains H2O to overflowing?

Back to 375 Ruger (not pictured): Where would it fall down as a 26 Nosler case forming parent?

Brian

Brian,
I believe those numbers are in grains of water. Interesting enough is that Nosler states 93gr and the site I picked up this info had 96gr for the 26Nosler. The 7LRM is a necked down and shoulder set back 375 Ruger. The 375Ruger is .532 at the base(same as the belt on the 375H&H and all it's progeny. The 404 Jeffries clan runs .545 to .555 including the 26Nosler at .550.

Scott

brians356":2arbq8gl said:
Thanks, Scott, excellent presentation.

Are the case displacements in grains H2O to overflowing?

Back to 375 Ruger (not pictured): Where would it fall down as a 26 Nosler case forming parent?

Brian
It won't because the 26Nosler is based on the 404 Jeffery. Nosler used the 7mm Rum to make display cartridges for shows using the 7mm Rum and it takes 14 different steps when using a Rum as the parent case as stated by Nosler.

I'm pretty sure those fill numbers are to the top of the neck. They had 96gr for the 26Nosler which differs from Nosler's stated # of 93gr. As long as they are all from the same source they should be consistent. I put them up for comparison to one another not as empirical data. There is a 4 grain difference between the .243 and the .308 which tells me it's probably to the top of the neck.

Scott

Back