26 Nosler

Shimek

Beginner
Oct 31, 2016
I have a nosler patriot rifle bought last year have about 250rnds through it and cant seem to find a good load at all. been trying US869 powder 84-85-86-86.5. I'm going by nosler reloading book and cant get this rifle to shoot tighter then 1.5 at 100yrds anyone have any idea on loads there using.

What bullets have you shot, a lot of barrels are fussy about bullets they like. Will say that the couple I have worked with shot much lower ES's and better accuracy with Norma 217.

Shimek":3k3t03f2 said:
I have shot the 142ABLR and the 143ELDX

Don't have any experience with the 143ELDX but can say that the 142ABLR has been fussy for me ( gotta find right seating depth ). Actually ended up shooting the regular 140 AccuBond with Norma 217.

IMO, with the ABLR the Berger method of load development seems to work for most.

I have not been a big fan of US869 due to temperature swing effects on velocity and ES's.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/getting-th ... our-rifle/

yea ive tried going from 3.330 O.C.L
to 3.320 and get same results maybe will try the 140's and see maybe will get a boc of Berger's also

Very COMMON for any AccuBond to shoot best at .075" to .100" off. I would have tested at this seating depth FIRST as many times it is spot on the first time.

You have only tested to approx. .010" off you just now getting started.

Approx .130" off would put OAL in the 3.200" range! Do seating test and you will find the spot.

Load 24 rounds at the following COAL if you are a hunter (pulling a bullet out of the case with your rifling while in the field can be a hunt ending event which must be avoided) or a competition shooter who worries about pulling a bullet during a match:
1. .010 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds (you already done this x off list)
2. .050 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds (OAL Approx 3.28)
3. .090 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds (OAL Approx 3.24)
4. .130 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds (OAL Approx 3.20)

Shoot 2 (separate) 3 shot groups in fair conditions to see how they group. The remarkable reality of this test is that one of these 4 COALs will outperform the other three by a considerable margin. Once you know which one of these 4 COAL shoots best then you can tweak the COAL +/- .002 or .005. Taking the time to set this test up will pay off when you find that your rifle is capable of shooting the VLD bullets very well (even at 100 yards).

Welcome aboard, Shimek. Can't really speak to the 26 Nosler as I haven't loaded for it yet. However, I do know that some people have had difficulty with the ABLR in other iterations. I am hearing similar statements concerning the 143 ELDX. I can speak with some certainty that the ABLR in several rifles does like what some might consider an excessive jump to the lands. I don't know what sort of jump you're allowing, but that may be worth looking at.

As MAinAR has suggested, look at 0.100 inches of jump or more.

ok I will go straight to that maybe and see I know I lod for my 6.5x284 and shoot them 142's like a dream

Fwiw I'd also try the straight 140AB. I'd be stunned if it didn't shoot well, especially with some jump.

I have not tried the ABLR yet. It seems I've read alot about it being very picky to find a good load for. I would also try the regular AB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shot shot factory ABLR 142 for a little I had ok groups prob half inch at 100 which is good but should be able to get better. im also reloading a 6.5x284 with 142ABLR and have a 5 shot group the size of a nickel and that with a 500 dollar savage so I would think a custom built nosler would be able to atleast do that.

OK so I loaded 5 round went from .10 off lands .50off .90off and .130 off lands and the .130 shot the best but still was only a 2in group do I just keep back off lands or what should I do at this point

If you were shooting factory ABLR's into 1/2" groups, I'd go with that OAL. Your gun has already told you it likes those. If it won't shoot those at that OAL, might try a different powder. If that didn't work, I'd be inclined to try a different bullet. Never had a problem getting BT's or Sierra bullets to shoot well.

The rifle may just not like that style bullet.
I mentioned it before but I'd stick some regular 140 ABs in there about .050 off and see what happened.

I would like to try 140s but I don't want to buy 100 box and have them not work is the only crappy thing and my 6.5x284 loves the 142. but ima try and back these off it they don't work then im going to try 140's. seems like the time im going to get this rifle figured out im going to have the barrel burnt out lol.

If you shot the factory into .5" groups, I'd try and match the velocity of that load. You state your 6.5x284 shoots "into the size of a nickle" and you're satisfied with that. (BTW a nickle's diameter is .851"). If matching the velocity and OAL of the factory doesn't work, try a different powder.
I bypassed 869 due to the temp. problems it has and went to RL33. Found a load that's consistent and accurate at the temps I hunt at and loaded up a bunch. All with the same bullet you're using.

Bbear I understand what you are getting at with group size but im more thinking I guess that the 6.5x284 if a 550 dollar savage shooting that group and I can prob tune it some more but I paid like 1700 for this custom rifle and cant shoot hand loads lol but that's also my fault. I was looking for a different powder but can only get certain ones around here I can get that RL33 but I don't know where to start for load wise like how much powder do I start with. Im new to reloading also im sure everyone knows that with me talking.

There is a misconception out there, that a rifle that costs more will provide better accuracy.
$ does not equal accuracy.
I have seen many "cheap" rifles outperform expensive custom and factory rifles.
There is a lot to be said for quality materials, assembly and tolerances that should make for more accuracy, but is not a guarantee.
Every rifle tends to show preferences for certain bullets, bullet weights, velocities, seating depth, etc.
The key is determining what your rifle will prefer.
If we are lucky, we end up with a rifle that will like several different loads, and maybe even shoot them all to the same point of impact!

Back