260 rem

Remmy -

Not too shabby at all. For some reason, the .260 is definately more finicky than the two bigger Bro's 7-08 & .308.

RL-19 might be the ticket !
I just bought a box of 125gr Partitions to start playing with out of the Better Half's Model 7 It's a early youth model, so we'll compare some velocities once I get to shooting it again.

That thing is going to put the hurt on a few yotes I'm sure -

FWIW, I have settled on a load right out of the Nosler #6 Book for the .260

40 Gns RL15, Nosler Custom Brass, Fed GM210M primer, 120 Gn NBT. Gives me .3 MOA out of a Tikka 595 action, LW 22" 1:9 twist barrel. Velocity is 2895 fps with extreme spread 7 fps on a 5 round group.

Love it ! .... and I look no further for Roe/Fallow/Red Hinds.

Best

Peter

Tikka 260

Welcome to the Forum -

I've got to say you'll have a few of us jealous here in the States. There are a few Sako's floating around in .260, but have yet to see any Tikkas imported.
Sounds like it's a phenominal shooter !

TY for the kind words, and IMHO you guys have nothing at all to be jealous about as semi custom/custom build rifles in UK are always a struggle to source the parts, and then long delays to get hold of them.

This rifle started out in life as a cooking version M595 in .243, which always shot very well I have to say, using 85 Gn GameKings, and I used it like that for 8 -9 years.

But, looking for something with just a bit more clout I had the action rebarrelled in .260, and I find it very effective on the UK species that I hunt regularly, fox, muntjac, roe and fallow deer.

It also received a bit of a cosmetic lift, and it turned out allright for me, and it shoots.

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

The barrel is a Shilen Select Match Grade stainless steel, 1:9 twist finished at 22" from bolt face.

Stock, McSwirly Sako Varmint "Coyote Bomber" colours.

Trigger is factory with a replacement spring and some honing. Breaks at 1.5 lbs.

Rail and rings : NEAR Manufacturing.

The action didn't need any truing or blueprinting, it is just as it came from the factory some 12 years ago. Oh... and had the bolt fluted, and a tactical bolt knob fitted as it was no big deal at the time.

Duracoated in "Parker Grey" , matte finish.

Scope : Swarovski 4-16x50 PV - a bit heavy maybe, but for older eyes it is excellent.

That's it, allied with the load given above, the deer hate it!

Best

Peter

Tikka 260,

It looks as if someone knew their way around a rifle. That is a sweet looking rig. I have no doubt that it will work well on the game you see in the UK, just as it would work quite well on most ungulates here in North America. Thanks for posting the pictures and giving us a description of the work.

Thats a very nice 260 you got there. I"m a bit jealous lol.

Was hoping to get out and shoot a few of the RL19 loads and try the 4350 loads again this time with longer OAL's.

Didn't know at the time, but my testing rounds of 2.8" have been about .070" from the lands. Could explain why I"ve been getting 2 in an 1 out on just about every load with every powder so far, you can see its really wanting to shoot. Have the new batch set at 2.870" Right at the lands and just barely clears in the magazine. I"m excited to see how they do now. Woke up at 5:30 this morning only to find the winds blowing 10-15MPH where I"m at, and where the range is at Jmads, I"m sure it was blowing a bit more since thats where the windmills are planted...Have to wait till next weekend.

remingtonman_25_06":1hx4hggj said:
Thats a very nice 260 you got there. I"m a bit jealous lol.

Was hoping to get out and shoot a few of the RL19 loads and try the 4350 loads again this time with longer OAL's.

Didn't know at the time, but my testing rounds of 2.8" have been about .070" from the lands. Could explain why I"ve been getting 2 in an 1 out on just about every load with every powder so far, you can see its really wanting to shoot. Have the new batch set at 2.870" Right at the lands and just barely clears in the magazine. I"m excited to see how they do now. Woke up at 5:30 this morning only to find the winds blowing 10-15MPH where I"m at, and where the range is at Jmads, I"m sure it was blowing a bit more since thats where the windmills are planted...Have to wait till next weekend.

For interest, I started the load development at .020" off the lands and they grouped kind of OK, all under 1" at 100, with the best group at just under .5, which I was inclined to settle for. But thought that I ought to experiment with seating depth as well, and so next trip to the range I shot 3 at .025; 3 at .030; 3 at .035; and 3 at .040 which was where the group ( or me) started to open up again. The best group of all was at .035 which gave the .3MOA grouping, so I settled on that and I haven't done anything else since.

Best of luck with your development, and hope that the Weather Gods smile upon you.

Best

Peter

That is a very nice 260! Wow, probably the nicest I have seen so far. That looks like a solid shooter for sure. Seems like you would be able to clean house with a rig like that! Again, very nice rifle. Scotty

Back