260 Remington load for deer

HeathSexton

Handloader
May 12, 2006
I have narrowed my bullet selection down to 2 either a 125gr Partition or the 120gr BT. Which would be better suited for whitetails between 10 and 350yds, with the majority of the shots being 10-150yds? I want something that will anchor and not blow up. I shot Federals 140gr last year and shot a small buck at 20yds and the bullet never made it to the other side no blood trail, lucky it didn't go far. I have read that the 6.5's come alive with the 120-130gr bullets. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Either bullet will work, pick the one that shoots the best in your rifle.
I would go with the 120 gr BT in the 260 Rem. Your max velocity is 2900 fps so bullet blow up won't be a problem. I am using this same bullet in a 6.5 JDJ Contender at 2300 fps. Water expansion at 100 yds is impressive.
2 of 3 bullets retained their core. This bullet should kill deer like lighting.

JD338

LIke JD said, either will work, but if your shots are leaning more towards the inner side of 150 yards, I would almost go with a Partition. But like JD also said, a 260 does not start them all that fast. Btips work great within velocity guidelines. Anything they hit over 3000fps, you probly wont get an exit. Anything under and yoru bullet starts to work like it should, expanding violently and exiting. I would to use the 120g bt. I am not one for using premium bullets for deer. Deer are not made of kevlar, put the bullet where it needs to go and the deer will die pretty easily.

I have used both bullets on deer from 65 yards to 200 yards. They are both exellent choices. The 125 Partition will be the best choice if your shots are taken at any angle into the deer. If you have mostly broadside lung/heart shots the 120 BT is great. All my broadside shots with both bullets had 50 centpeice size exit holes. The best all around bullet might be the new AccuBond when they come out this year. Thats what I will use if they become avaliable.

Greyfox

Thanks for the advice. I have the 125 partitions on order becuase I figured they would do better on the angled shots. I would really like to try a 120gr AccuBond or InterBond, the closest to that is the 130gr Scirocco. I think a 120 AccuBond would rule.

Thanks

I had a Browning 260 a while back. I worked up a load with the 100 Partitions to 3300+ fps. Basically a 25-06 with more
"Testicular Fortitude"----Flat as Kansas and being Partitions nothing could walk away.

Iwish I would have kept it.

sad-smiley-047.gif

Pop, I'm glad you brought the 100g Partion up. I used that slug for 2 years with great results. For some reason it doesn't get much press, but I think for a White Tail round it is very effective.

Good advice from everyone, i too would shoot the Partitions. When the accubonds come out i'd definately give them a try though. I've always loved the Partition and always will but the AccuBond has quickly found a place in my heart as well. :wink:

My favorite caliber is the 25.06 but i think the 260 is an awesome caliber and i'd love to own one. I like Remington firearms and i've been looking for a BDL chambered in 260 for a long time with no luck. I wish i would have bought one when Remington offered them in that caliber. At this stage of the game i think it would be easier now to find a chicken with teeth! :lol: The guys that do own one won't part with it but i can't blame them i wouldn't either. I have a daughter thats about ready for a rifle and i'm seriously thinking of getting her a Model 7 in 260.

The 125gr Partitions are in and I am waiting on H4350 powder. I was told this would be a better powder than the IMR becuase the IMR is hotter? I am thinking of buying some 120gr Sierra HPBT's for groundhawgs, coyotes and whatnot. I can see how this reloading stuff becomes addictive!

Thanks for the help. I will post results when I get everything organized.

If you can be sure your impact vel. will be under 2700fps, then go with the bullet that shoots best in your .260. I prefer the 125grNP for all around deer bullet as I know it will stay together from 50yds to 400yds.

Still no H4350 so I bought a pound of Reloader 19. The guy who did the loading showed up with 4 shells of 45.5, 46, 46.5, and 47grs. It was a pain with just 4 shells of each weight. We also only shot at 50yds, which also sucked. My 260 shot a 5/8" group at 50yds with 46gr of reloader 19 and the 125PT, which I know is absolutly no big deal. The next best load was 47 with 45.5 being the worst with about a 2" group at 50. We set the target back to 247yds and with 1 each of 45.5, 46.5 and 47 gr shells I shot a group just a little bigger than a softball. He is supposed to load a box of 46gr 125's and I should have them today or tomorrow. I want to get some groups at 100 and 200 before I really decide anything.

Well, I got my load set with H 414 - 45.0grs and a 120gr Ballistic Tip. I have only fired a group at 50yds, I put the specs in to my calculator with a 200yd zero and let it be. I went ground hawg hunting this evening, expecting a close shot of 50-100yds. I look up and around 400yds away is a coyote, I never could get comfortable and it was a good thing because I don't think I could've hit it. I move up, I am watching some deer, when one comes running at me. I look the coyote is sneaking back across the field. I figure it is in range, guess it around 275-300, I level with the bipod, pull to the top of his back, touch the trigger...BOOM.......WHACK!!!!! From where I laid to where he was hit was 270yds with a laser range finder. Calculator said a 5" drop, the hit is about 5" from the top of the back. This is the longest shot I have ever made, it is awesome I am still on cloud nine.

Luns4d":y2iu1644 said:
Pop, I'm glad you brought the 100g Partion up. I used that slug for 2 years with great results. For some reason it doesn't get much press, but I think for a White Tail round it is very effective.

Heck yes!

Back